What's new

Ultimate Star Trek: TOS Cases (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I have just ordered eight of the 5 disc DVD cases from inetdvd and plan on trying my own hand at Photoshop designing some sleeves for STAR TREK: The Origianl Series. At first I thought I would just scan some of the covers and expand the spine. But I really hate the design of those sleeves anyway, so what the heck, maybe I can do a little better.
I could use a little help though...
Does anyone know the exact width of the 5 DVD Cases? And does anyone have a good color shot of Kirk, Spock and McCoy all in the same shot? Whatever good promo cast type pix you have, I would appreciate.
I have one cover almost done now... Except that I don't know the spine width so I'm kinda guessing. If I get the nerve I will post it...Though I know you folks can be a little on the critical side!
-Ric

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Below are a couple of links to what I have been working on...
1012065872660_ST_DVD_1w.jpg

Thanks for the link Brian. Some pix I had, but there are alot of good ones on there. I still can't find a good one of the three together though! I will probably have to doctor something up!
Anyway I probably won't work on any more of them until I know the actual spine width.
-Ric

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
DAMN RIC!!!!
Those are OUTSTANDING!!!
I never even considered replacing my TOS covers but what you have created is awesome. When you have made them all I sure would like to see them. I might just change them and store the original cases.
I would like to suggest that you try to get each main character on at least one of the covers.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the praise!

Frank, by main characters do you mean just single shots of the big 3, or Sulu, Chekov, Scotty and Uhura too? Maybe some of them can be grouped. I still have a couple of good shots of Kirk and Spock together that I would like to use.

BTW you may have noticed that I did not list "Where No Man Has Gone Before" as episode 2 like on the original DVDs. To me, the first pilot "The Cage" is not episode 1. The numbers will correct themselves when I get past "The Menagerie. Paramount lists both parts as one episode, (#16 I think) and I will list them as two. Besides, who wants to start yer first box set with episode 2?

-Ric

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Frank, by main characters do you mean just single shots of the big 3, or Sulu, Chekov, Scotty and Uhura too? Maybe some of them can be grouped.
Sure groupings are fine. One other suggestion... is there something you can add to the title on the back to say what season each episode is?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Frank,
I'm not sure how I should put the season thing in there. I was thinking of having a heading saying...SEASON ONE: with the episodes listed underneath...but then Vol 3 would have nine episodes from season 1 and one episode with the SEASON 2 : header. I think it may look kind of goofy...but the whole thing is a work in progress so I may experiment around a little.
Thanks for the suggestion...and does anyone know the width of those Quintuple DVD Cases ? I ordered mine with priority shipping, but that was only yesterday and I imagine it will be at least a few more days.
-Ric

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Ric,
I think they are the same width as the 4-case. The 4 case has room in the back for a fifth DVD (if they add a spindle). The 4 case is 1 1/2 inches wide. You might want to work with that width until you actually get the 5 case.
I don't know what to tell you on the season header. But since you did such an outstanding job with the cover so far I am sure you will figure something out. :)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
What's the best way to print disk covers out? I have Photoshp 6.0 but have never really played around with it, I got it when I got my Dig camera. Can anyone give me some good tips to try designing some cases....

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I haven't done this type of thing before...
What should the resolution be? I just checked the my pic and it was set at 72! Yikes! I know that's not good! Is 200 pixels/inch acceptable?
I have an image hosting service but right now I am only paying for up to 5 megs of space. I'm not sure how big these will all be when I'm finished, but I would hope that I could get these to whoever might want to use them.
BTW Here's a bigger shot of the latest one I've been working on...
1012105297124_ST_DVD_2w.jpg

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Rick How are you getting the backgrounds and the Title Fonts? I'd love to try my hand at these but I'm for you know what using Photoshop. THese cover sure look great I think I'm ordering 8 cases for my collection.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Dave,
Essentially I've been scouring the web. A couple of the backgrounds I got from Star Trek.com in their utilities section, others I've had for awhile. The font I got a long time ago from some sci fi font site, can't where the site was, but I can probably email it to you if you like.
As far as printing goes...
I know alot of folks go down to Kinkos after they load the images up on a disk. I haven't done this yet, but I imagine the pix would look much better there than off of my inkjet printer. Not to mention I can never find a good quality legal size paper.
-Ric

Jimmy M

Second Unit
Amazing job on those covers!

As far as the titles for episodes in different seasons go, how about using a different color for each season? I know the show went from yellow to blue at one point, but it didn't have a third color at all...

Jimmy!

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I think it went from Yellow to Blue between the 2nd and 3rd seasons. How bout if I start with white, go to yellow and end with blue? It won't make much sense except for those of us in the know.
Now that you brought it up, how come one episode a season is in a different color on the back of the X-Files sets?
I created a "B" Style for Volume 4. It's pretty much the same, except I stuck Uhura in it. Lemme know what you think.
1012065872660_ST_DVD_1w.jpg

3 down only 5 to go!
And that 300 pixels per inch is sure gonna slow my computer down!
-Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks