Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

DTS CDs

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   John*K

John*K

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted January 25 2002 - 10:03 AM

Will DTS CDs play 5.1 in a "regular" HT system, i.e., DD/DTS receiver connected to a DVD player via coaxial cable? I did a search; the response I found at Hometheaterhifi.com had much to say on DD and DTS, but did not address the question.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt

Screenwriter

• 2,344 posts

Posted January 25 2002 - 01:58 PM

Yes, a DTS CD should play fine using a CD/DVD player connected digitally to a DTS processor. I have heard of the occasional exception with some DVD players (why it doesn't work I have no idea), but these are the exception, not the rule. Adam

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor

• 695 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted January 26 2002 - 09:21 PM

Adam, The only exceptions I have heard of are from 1st generation DVD players that were not capable of passing the DTS signal.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted January 26 2002 - 10:29 PM

[quote]

The only exceptions I have heard of are from 1st generation DVD players that were not capable of passing the DTS signal.

[quote] First-generation players will play DTS CDs, just not DVDs. The encoding for DTS CDs looks like PCM to the player; so any player that can read a standard CD should also be able to read a DTS CD. I play DTS CDs all the time in a first-generation Sony 7000.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt

Screenwriter

• 2,344 posts

Posted January 27 2002 - 01:15 AM

Every CD and DVD player (regardless of generation) with a digital output should be able to play DTS CDs. I have however come across the occasional DVD player that couldn't output DTS from CD (a JVC and a Webtronic). Why they couldn't output the DTS information correctly is anyone's guess. Adam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users