What's new

"Pulp Fiction" Special Edition (Region 0) (1 Viewer)

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
12367.1.jpg

I know there's supposedly a U.S. 'special edition' DVD of "Pulp Fiction" coming, but I could wait no longer for a good version of one of my favorite films of all time...
I found it in a Korean NTSC two-disc 'special edition' DVD. It says Region 3 in the back of the case, but it's actually Region 0. Having owned the non-anamorphic U.S. version and the anamorphic Japanese & Aussie versions, I can safely say this is the best one yet.
Disc-1 of this SE is dual-layer & contains just the movie; the anamorphic picture is excellent with only a bit of edge enhancement. To the most part, I found the picture to be beautiful. The English DD5.1 track is as good as you'd expect. Disc-2 contains deleted scenes & other extras that look to be the same as what appeared in the Criterion laserdisc a while ago. There aren't a whole lot of extras, but I'm glad they included only the movie on Disc-1 to maximize quality.
I got my copy from Link Removed for $21.95 + shipping (delivered in a week), but it's also available at Link Removed (maybe other places too). Highly recommended to those who don't want to wait like me :)

Jason Cole

Grip
This sounds too good to be true. Are you sure it's region 0 ? Is it NTSC as well ? Do you know if it's got a commentary track ? I've been holding off buying this one until we get a better pressing, but maybe my wait is over.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Yes, my copy (from dvdasian.com) is definitely region 0 & NTSC (even though the back cover says region 3). The dvdasian site says it's region 0 as well -- do a search for "Pulp Fiction" @ the site.
There's no commentary track.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Does this have the Charlie Rose interview?
Don't think so, but I'm not sure. I'll check when I get home tonight. The deleted scenes are introduced by Tarantino. The cast & director profiles are in Korean, so no use except for the pics (unless you can read Korean). I'll say again, the extras are slim, but for me, having a first-rate 16x9 NTSC version of the movie was enough.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
So, just when is Region 1 getting a special edition? I just don't understand why this hasn't come yet - along with Jackie Brown.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
The Canadian version is much cooler than the US version, but still is not Anamorphic...

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
The only thing holding me back is that we hear similar regionless reports of the Battle Royale disc, which turned out to indeed have Region 3 coding. Does anyone else have this release to corroborate?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The Criterion LD did not include a commentary...QT didn't want to do one, but he specifically did want the Charlie Rose interview included, so it was.

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
Are you sure this one is anamorphic or are you going by the packaging? I only ask because the Canadian release has the deleted scenes and it states on the back that it is an anamorphic transfer, it however is most definitely not. The Alliance version does have a different transfer than the US version but it still hasn't been enhanced.
Just thought I would make sure.
Thanks.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
http://www.dvd.net.au/review.cgi?review_id=35
This is a review of the R4 version, which IS anamorphic and contains extras not even on the Criterion laser. According to this review, the disc includes deleted scenes, "making of" featurette, a pile of trailers, interviews and an isolated music score (that was a cool touch, IMHO).
No word on whether or not this is a 2-disc set. But there is proof an anamorphic transfer exists! :)

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I can also confirm that this is an excellent DVD of Pulp Fiction. I purchased one in Korea over the Christmas holiday. If you go to the other region section of HTF, you will see reference to product number, etc. It is indeed anamorphic and it is indeed not region coded. It is released by a large company in Korea.Image quality is slightly better that the Japanese release and light years superior to the release in U.S. You can see the difference starting with the opening scene. Great detail, almost no aliasing in the blinds and you can see detail even out the restaurant windows.

For information on a couple of other noteworthy Korean releases, go to the Other Region section of HTF. HEAT and Seven Years in Tibet are posted.

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
Brajesh,

Out of curiosity, do you find it necessary to re-adjust black level for the Korean Pulp Fiction disc? I know that Japanese NTSC black level is set at 0 IRE rather than 7.5 IRE in the USA, as I had to bump brightness up about 3 notches for my Phantom Menace import LD.

Thanks...

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
John, I'd say the answer is 'no'. My RP91 is set to output the 'darker' setting (recommended for RPTVs & that's how I did my Avia calibration) & I didn't have to readjust anything for this Korean "Pulp Fiction" DVD.

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
Just ordered mine!
Side note: Isn't it weird that if you want to send a check or money order, you send it to La Mirada, CA 90638???
Thanks for the heads up!!!
-Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks