-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"Pulp Fiction" Special Edition (Region 0)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#41 of 67 Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted February 01 2002 - 01:13 AM

Posted Image DVDAsian owes me a commission for sending so many customers their way Posted Image
Home Theater Addict

#42 of 67 Greg Morse

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted February 04 2002 - 09:38 AM

Mine came in today. Very pleased. Good call Brajesh. Wish I could read the liner notes. Oh well, at least I have a good anamorphic transfer of Pulp now.

#43 of 67 bob_bolin

bob_bolin

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 04 2002 - 11:03 AM

Hi all, I've lurked here for a while and finally decided to post. What a great find this disk is, mine came today, and while I have not had time to watch the whole movie (but I do know what I am doing Saturday night now), the chapters I flipped through are stunningly better than the current U.S. release. Thanks to all who dug up this information. My only disapointment was that the disk slipped off the spindle during shipping and left a few slight (virtually invisible) scuffs on the disk. They don't effect play at all (skipped around the disk trying to generate an error, so far so good), but I am a little obsessive about my disk being pristine. Oh well, I finally have an anamorphic cut of Pulp Fiction, this will tide me over until an American SE with a commentary (I can dream, can't I?) Once again, thanks to all who dug this information up, I have have a decent disk of one of my top five films. Now, where's that Goodfellas SE? Gotta' obsess about something=)

#44 of 67 dpippel

dpippel

Producer

• 3,125 posts

Posted February 04 2002 - 10:12 PM

My copy arrived in yesterday's mail. I haven't watched the entire film but holy smokes, what a MAJOR improvement this transfer is over the flat, contrasty non-anamophic mush that Disney gave us on the Region 1 disc. It looks gorgeous!

I do have an audio problem with this release however. Has anyone else noticed that the surround channels on the 5.1 mix are almost non-existent? There's only one audio track here and it's listed as DD 5.1, but the rears on my disc are practically MIA. Is it just me? I need to compare it with my Region 1 copy tonight.

DP
Careful man! There's a beverage here!

#45 of 67 Dave_P.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted February 05 2002 - 04:17 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Brajesh! Just got mine and I have to say I'm very happy with the anamorphic transfer of this disc! I didn't have any problems with the sound, even though my player indicates it running at 320kbps. My surrounds seemed to be working in the key areas (not that there were too many besides the music passages). I'll only get the US version now if it contains a Tarantino/cast commentary.

PS: The slipcover is pretty cool too!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#46 of 67 Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor

• 950 posts

Posted February 06 2002 - 06:03 PM

Well just got mine as well. Fantastic picture! I didn't think Pulp Fiction could look this good. I don't want to over hype it, I mean this is a low budget flick but apart from those film specs you get every now and then, I don't think it could look better. I can now see the buildings through the blinds in the coffee shop window at the beginning.

I've now owned three versions of this movie. I used to own the Canadian DVD and the Japaneese Laserdisc, which was better than the Criterion laser. They totally pale in comparison.

As for the surrounds, it's no different than the Canadian DVD I owned, which is the same transfer as the US. There just isn't a lot of surround in a movie like this but I can hear it!

The layer change, which hasn't been brought up yet, is placed very well in a fade to black scene so it's not noticable.

And yes, the little slip cover is a nice touch! I really like the case too! It's not a double Amaray, it's a single one but doesn't have that damn bracket to hold the second disc. Disc 2 is on another spindle on the other side of the case, behind the booklet.

Anyway, thanks Brajesh! Posted Image

Jeff

#47 of 67 Jeremy

Jeremy

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted February 07 2002 - 04:35 AM

Another thanks to Brajesh for the heads up on this little gem.

I'd love to know how a Korean company was able to acquire such a high quality transfer. Could this be a new transfer for the anticipated SE in Region 1?
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." -- Elvis Costello

#48 of 67 Paul W

Paul W

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted February 07 2002 - 06:14 AM

I just ordered mine today. Hopefully I'll have it soon. I'm really looking forward to this and the eventual upcoming R1 SE.
"Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight." —Danny, Withnail and I

#49 of 67 Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor

• 557 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted February 07 2002 - 04:57 PM

There is also a superior version of Seven Years in Tibet out in Korea and with dts. See the other region section for details. It is also Region 0.

#50 of 67 Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 02:14 AM

Glad you guys are getting your 'Pulp Fiction' fix. We fans just lucked out that it's region-0. Posted Image

I originally ordered it expecting a region-3 DVD (I have a regionfree player as well), but was pleasantly surprised to find out it was region-0.

Home Theater Addict

#51 of 67 Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit

• 386 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 04:42 AM

OK...I've been holding out for the SE as long as I can, but this thread put me over the top!

I just ordered mine....can't wait!

Posted Image

Posted Image
“Do I really look like a man with a plan, Harvey? I don’t have a plan. The mob has plans, the cops have plans. You know what I am, Harvey? I’m a dog chasing cars. I wouldn’t know what to do if I caught one. I just do things. I’m a wrench in the gears. I hate plans. Yours, theirs,...

#52 of 67 Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 06:59 AM

...I...am...soooooo... tempted...ya hear, MIRAMAX?
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#53 of 67 Britton

Britton

Supporting Actor

• 904 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 07:23 AM

Hip hip hurrah for Brajesh!!! Finally, a DVD of Pulp Fiction I can be proud to own! Anyone who might have any doubts about this disc should shove them aside and order it now. There's no longer any reason to wait for a Region 1 SE.

#54 of 67 chris c

chris c

Stunt Coordinator

• 208 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 10:02 AM

"There is also a superior version of Seven Years in Tibet out in Korea and with dts. See the other region section for details. It is also Region 0."

Roger, do you have any idea where I can obtain this? I checked dvdasian and Hivi and they don't seem to have it. Thanks,
Chris

#55 of 67 Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor

• 557 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted February 08 2002 - 12:09 PM

The improvment of Seven Years in Tibet is not as dramatic as in the Pulp Fiction case unless one considers dts important. CTS squeezed the film to one side of disc to allow P&S on the other. The Korean DVD uses dual layer for the anamorphic wide presentation.

I would try the same dealer selling the Korean version of Pulp Fiction as they obviously have import channel. You can get the product number from the web site link in my other post in the Other Region section. The website of the distributor has shopping function, but I do not know if they export. I purchased my copy in Korea as I live in Tokyo and visit Seoul often.

#56 of 67 Britton

Britton

Supporting Actor

• 904 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 04:18 PM

Is it me, or is the dialog in the Korean version a bit "harsher" sounding than the Canadian release? I did a comparison of the scene when Butch says to Marcellus, "someone's about to get their ****ing head blown off!" in the pawn shop and there was definitely some crackling in the center channel that wasn't there in the Canadian DVD. Can anyone else hear differences in the audio tracks?

#57 of 67 Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor

• 950 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 10:01 PM

Yes there is some center speaker crackling in this. The Canadian release has it in a few spots where there is shouting but I think the Korean one has more. I'll have to check this out further.

Jeff

#58 of 67 Britton

Britton

Supporting Actor

• 904 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 03:28 AM

Thanks for the feedback Jeff. I've come to the same conclusion after comparing the 2 DVDs. However, the Korean one is still the hands down winner out of all the versions currently out there.

#59 of 67 Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 06:42 AM

No matter what someone has to find fault with everything!Just be glad you now own the best version out there and be happy! I'm still waiting on mine.

#60 of 67 Britton

Britton

Supporting Actor

• 904 posts

Posted February 09 2002 - 07:53 AM

Hey Chas, I said the Korean version wins hands down, so I'm obviously happy with my purchase. I think it's in the best that forum members know the upside and downside to a DVD so they can make an informed purchase. Maybe you should take your beef up with everyone who writes a review and points out the flaws of a given DVD.