-

Photo

"Pulp Fiction" Special Edition (Region 0)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#1 of 67 Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted January 23 2002 - 01:34 AM

Posted Image

I know there's supposedly a U.S. 'special edition' DVD of "Pulp Fiction" coming, but I could wait no longer for a good version of one of my favorite films of all time...

I found it in a Korean NTSC two-disc 'special edition' DVD. It says Region 3 in the back of the case, but it's actually Region 0. Having owned the non-anamorphic U.S. version and the anamorphic Japanese & Aussie versions, I can safely say this is the best one yet.

Disc-1 of this SE is dual-layer & contains just the movie; the anamorphic picture is excellent with only a bit of edge enhancement. To the most part, I found the picture to be beautiful. The English DD5.1 track is as good as you'd expect. Disc-2 contains deleted scenes & other extras that look to be the same as what appeared in the Criterion laserdisc a while ago. There aren't a whole lot of extras, but I'm glad they included only the movie on Disc-1 to maximize quality.

I got my copy from DVD Asian for $21.95 + shipping (delivered in a week), but it's also available at HiVi Zone (maybe other places too). Highly recommended to those who don't want to wait like me Posted Image

Home Theater Addict

#2 of 67 Jason Cole

Jason Cole

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted January 23 2002 - 04:46 AM

This sounds too good to be true. Are you sure it's region 0 ? Is it NTSC as well ? Do you know if it's got a commentary track ? I've been holding off buying this one until we get a better pressing, but maybe my wait is over.

#3 of 67 Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted January 23 2002 - 04:54 AM

Yes, my copy (from dvdasian.com) is definitely region 0 & NTSC (even though the back cover says region 3). The dvdasian site says it's region 0 as well -- do a search for "Pulp Fiction" @ the site.

There's no commentary track.

Home Theater Addict

#4 of 67 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted January 23 2002 - 06:03 AM

Does this have the Charlie Rose interview?

#5 of 67 Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted January 23 2002 - 06:38 AM

Quote:
Does this have the Charlie Rose interview?
Don't think so, but I'm not sure. I'll check when I get home tonight. The deleted scenes are introduced by Tarantino. The cast & director profiles are in Korean, so no use except for the pics (unless you can read Korean). I'll say again, the extras are slim, but for me, having a first-rate 16x9 NTSC version of the movie was enough.
Home Theater Addict

#6 of 67 Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted January 23 2002 - 07:35 AM

Isn't that the same stuff that's on the Candian version of the disc? The one that I have has all of the deleted scenes on it, and you can get it from www.dvd-plus.com.
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#7 of 67 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,271 posts

Posted January 23 2002 - 07:38 AM

So, just when is Region 1 getting a special edition? I just don't understand why this hasn't come yet - along with Jackie Brown.

#8 of 67 Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted January 23 2002 - 07:43 AM

The Canadian version is much cooler than the US version, but still is not Anamorphic...
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#9 of 67 Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted January 23 2002 - 08:57 AM

The only thing holding me back is that we hear similar regionless reports of the Battle Royale disc, which turned out to indeed have Region 3 coding. Does anyone else have this release to corroborate?

#10 of 67 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted January 23 2002 - 09:36 AM

The Criterion LD did not include a commentary...QT didn't want to do one, but he specifically did want the Charlie Rose interview included, so it was.

#11 of 67 MichaelO

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator

• 136 posts

Posted January 23 2002 - 09:36 AM

Are you sure this one is anamorphic or are you going by the packaging? I only ask because the Canadian release has the deleted scenes and it states on the back that it is an anamorphic transfer, it however is most definitely not. The Alliance version does have a different transfer than the US version but it still hasn't been enhanced.

Just thought I would make sure.

Thanks.

#12 of 67 Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted January 23 2002 - 01:16 PM

Quote:
Are you sure this one is anamorphic or are you going by the packaging?
Yes, I'm sure it's anamorphic.
Home Theater Addict

#13 of 67 Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor

• 922 posts

Posted January 23 2002 - 01:31 PM

http://www.dvd.net.a...gi?review_id=35

This is a review of the R4 version, which IS anamorphic and contains extras not even on the Criterion laser. According to this review, the disc includes deleted scenes, "making of" featurette, a pile of trailers, interviews and an isolated music score (that was a cool touch, IMHO).

No word on whether or not this is a 2-disc set. But there is proof an anamorphic transfer exists! Posted Image
I like shiny things. | 2002 Film List | Best & Worst of 2002 | 2003 Film List | 2004 Film List

'I'm sucking up juice from the generator!' - Brian Eno, "I Fall Up"
AIM: KevinLeonard81 (because SexGod9451860 was already taken)
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

#14 of 67 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted January 23 2002 - 02:16 PM

Quote:
But there is proof an anamorphic transfer exists!

Actually, some 'anamorphic' import discs are upconverts.

#15 of 67 Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor

• 557 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted January 23 2002 - 04:18 PM

I can also confirm that this is an excellent DVD of Pulp Fiction. I purchased one in Korea over the Christmas holiday. If you go to the other region section of HTF, you will see reference to product number, etc. It is indeed anamorphic and it is indeed not region coded. It is released by a large company in Korea.Image quality is slightly better that the Japanese release and light years superior to the release in U.S. You can see the difference starting with the opening scene. Great detail, almost no aliasing in the blinds and you can see detail even out the restaurant windows.

For information on a couple of other noteworthy Korean releases, go to the Other Region section of HTF. HEAT and Seven Years in Tibet are posted.

#16 of 67 Emery B

Emery B

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted January 24 2002 - 03:58 PM

Awesome find...ordered a copy from DVDAsian today. Posted Image

#17 of 67 John Wielgosz

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted January 24 2002 - 08:17 PM

Brajesh,

Out of curiosity, do you find it necessary to re-adjust black level for the Korean Pulp Fiction disc? I know that Japanese NTSC black level is set at 0 IRE rather than 7.5 IRE in the USA, as I had to bump brightness up about 3 notches for my Phantom Menace import LD.

Thanks...

#18 of 67 Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted January 25 2002 - 01:03 AM

John, I'd say the answer is 'no'. My RP91 is set to output the 'darker' setting (recommended for RPTVs & that's how I did my Avia calibration) & I didn't have to readjust anything for this Korean "Pulp Fiction" DVD.
Home Theater Addict

#19 of 67 Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Producer

• 3,973 posts

Posted January 25 2002 - 01:09 AM

Thanks Brajesh. This is a great find for those of us impatient for a proper Reg 1 release.

#20 of 67 Michael Henry

Michael Henry

Second Unit

• 356 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted January 25 2002 - 01:10 AM

Just ordered mine!

Side note: Isn't it weird that if you want to send a check or money order, you send it to La Mirada, CA 90638???

Thanks for the heads up!!!

-Mike

J. Michael Henry

Forum Nav Content I Follow