What's new

Most Overrated Music Artist (1 Viewer)

MikeAW

Second Unit
Every Music Generation has been "told" who is the most

"relevant" music artists by the Media Critics...Syd Barrett, Brian Wilson, Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Joe Santorini, Roky Erickson, Robery Wyatt, Joe Walsh, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Patti Smith, John McLaughlin, Grateful Dead, Velvet Underground, Jethro Tull, Styx, Skip Spence, Gene Parsons, Rush...immediately come to mind.

Sometimes the "relevant" label has come to mean those wayyyy out of the mainstream, "starving", and whose music is just not as accessible, listening-wise, than those who we all usually look for on the CD shelves.

What artist, to you, have you just not been able to understand the reason why, you should buy their music and be listening to them ?

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
all those crappy pop acts. (where's the puking smiley when you need it? :)) alot of reviewers say how good (or at least decent) this new pop group is and, to me at least, it's all the same manufactured crap.
another memorable one is Erica Badu. i have three letters that sum up what i think of this: wtf? did i miss something because i never quite understood her.
(i'm gonna get blasted for this, but i gotta be honest) i never got into Steely Dan, Billy Joel, Bob Dylan, or any of the other classic acts, so i can't quite understand why they took the Grammy ahead of Radiohead. Rolling Stone keeps raving and saying how awesome they are, but none of those groups ever really struck me as bands that i'd want to listen to over and over again. i guess my age is to blame here.
i'm interested to see what other people have to say.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Are we talking current Dylan or the early stuff. I'm a massive RH fan but Dylan's 'Bringing it all Back Home' would rank up there as one of my favourite all time albums.
It's a bit of a weird question. Usually this thread prompts a lot of people to come back with The Beatles, etc. etc.
And I guess that's true. The Beatles could never be considered to be as good as the hype would have you believe but they're still a brilliant act.
I would have to say that Blondie (as an example) are to me an overrated act. But then there's about a billion music fans out there who'd try to prove me wrong.:)

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Charlotte Church.

The thing that bugs me about her is that there are probably 30 other kids from her neck of the woods with the exact same, if not better, voice. It's like some agent or marketeer spun a wheel and landed on her name. Bingo, instant "PBS" gold mine, although not much if any of her profits support Public Broadcasting.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Let me add U2 as the most overrated Group musical or otherwise in the known universe and most likely beyond.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Why so negative all the time MikeAW? I'm convinced that you hate music because you almost never have anything nice to say about anything or anybody here.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Since you've named some of my favourites...
Captain Beefheart
Patti Smith
Lou Reed
The Grateful Dead
The Velvet Underground
...as overrated, I doubt I could lend much to your thread (which incidentally appears to be a poll). :frowning:

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Mozart... sucked. He really thought he was God's gift, didn't he? Eine kleine nachtmusic, my ass. More like eine kleine nutsack, if you ask me. Bob Dylan, Grateful Dead, Velvet Underground, Frank Zappa, John Coltrane, JS Bach... they all suck.
Why won't anyone listen to me?!? :frowning:

Brian P

Grip
Buzz I don't like Springsteen either but L.A. guns and Warrent don't even compare to Heart or Phil Collins(imo). Your comparing two "girl bands" to people that actually have talent. Overrated to me would be "Prince" Everyone acts like he is a musical genius but I just dont see it or hear it.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Satire, Rain... satire!

(Perhaps you recall the conversation in MANHATTAN?)

I agree with Philip. These threads tell way more about those participating in them than they do about the artists they deem worthy of slagging. Hence, my lame attempt at a funny contextualization!

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator
There are numerous artists mentioned above as sucking or as overrated, but nobody gives reasons as to why they suck or why they are overrated. I may not like a particular artist's music but I wouldn't say they suck. They are doing something I can't and that is selling albums and tickets to concerts. And if you have ever heard me sing karaoke you will know why! :D

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
"Radiohead" - wow, couldn't disagree more - pretty much the only reason to listen to recent music

"David Bowie" - WTF? Go listen to 'Sound and Vision' from 'Low' and tell me you still feel this way.

"Bob Dylan" - Did someone actually mention him? I have his new album and I already think it ranks as my all time favorite Dylan album

Anyways, I realize this is a somewhat subjective question, but jeez, people, get some taste.

Jarod

Auditioning
I don't get Radiohead. While I don't think they suck, I just don't get why they are so acclaimed.

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
"I don't get Radiohead. While I don't think they suck, I just don't get why they are so acclaimed."

Fair enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks