Photo

I Can't STAND the Constant MIX of Anamorphic and Non-anamorphic CONTENT on DVD!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 ChrisA

ChrisA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted January 22 2002 - 04:25 AM

Who else out there is bothered by having previews, and lots of the content in the DVD being non anamorphic? A good example is FOX's DVD intro when they flash all of those movie sequences in NON-ANAMORPHIC. Why make an anamorphic DVD and make a preview that is non-anamorphic causing distortion because the display device/scaler is set to 16:9? There are also a lot of other DVD-EXTRAS, as well as interviews, etc... that are non anamorphic. Maybe I have to get used to switching the scaler remote control, but I currently use a Cinematrix PSM-1 within a SONY 7700 which requires getting up and changing a knob. In any case, when the heck are we just going to make this country into a 16x9 country? The mix and match does nobody any good. When you make an ENHANCED FOR WIDESCREEN movie, ALL OF THE CONTENT feasible should be ENHANCED FOR widescreen. I'm Still annoyed with that FOX HOME VIDEO INTRO which is non-anamorphic on every ANAMORPHIC DVD... What is this McDonald's?

I realise that some older content is simply presented in OAR which happened to be 1.33, but there is often so much material that could have and should have been presented in anamorphic presentation. The problem is the mixing and matching of material which only displays properly when set to one mode or the other. Often it is not feasible to just hit the remote because you don't relize that the content is non-anamorphic unitl you've got this SQUASHED DISTORTED IMAGE playing on your screen. Heck, as soon as FOX HOME VIDEO PREVEIW SEQUENCE starts, its already to late, and the owrst part is that it is a VERY COOL INTRO, but is non anamorphic... Total McDonald's bullshit.
SIGN THE PETITION: CONSUMER EXPECTATIONS OF HD-DVD Don't Settle for low-bitrate audio/video

Pictures: The Worm Hole Theater featuring the Black Hole Subs and Death Star Platform

Support a DISCRETE TACTILE TRANSDUCER CHANNEL. Add a NEW DIMENSION and SENSORY EXPERIENCE to YOUR THEATER

#2 of 28 Ron-P

Ron-P

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts

Posted January 22 2002 - 04:33 AM

As long as the movie is anamorphic, that is all that matters.

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#3 of 28 ChrisA

ChrisA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted January 22 2002 - 04:42 AM

Yes but I'm not begging Hollywood for anamorphic scraps, or chasing those morons at Blockbuster for not promoting widescreen. Sure I'm glad the movie is anamorphic and that is my first priority, but I still need to adress other issues.
SIGN THE PETITION: CONSUMER EXPECTATIONS OF HD-DVD Don't Settle for low-bitrate audio/video

Pictures: The Worm Hole Theater featuring the Black Hole Subs and Death Star Platform

Support a DISCRETE TACTILE TRANSDUCER CHANNEL. Add a NEW DIMENSION and SENSORY EXPERIENCE to YOUR THEATER

#4 of 28 GerardoHP

GerardoHP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted January 22 2002 - 04:49 AM

I TOTALLY agree with you, Chris.

All anamorphic DVD's should have all the extras in anamorphic as well. If there isn't enough room on one side to do this, then they should use 2 discs or 2 sides.

All non-anamorphic DVD's should have all additional material non-anamorphic as well.

The more DVD's I see, the more it's crystal clear to me that the contributors to their production are not always up on all the details.
Gerardo

#5 of 28 Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted January 22 2002 - 04:49 AM

I for one am always amazed at the double standard where everyone seems to love the Fox and Universal 'intros', but blasts Disney for having previews come up before the feature.

Personally I hate them all and skip them every time, they were cool the first couple of times, but now they are just annoying. And yeah, the fact that they are not anamorphic is pretty puzzling too.
-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#6 of 28 GlennH

GlennH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted January 22 2002 - 04:51 AM

I agree with your complaints, but don't expect things to change anytime soon.

It obviously really bothers you, so if you want to take matters into your own hands trade in that modified Sony 7700 for a Panasonic RP91 player with automatic scaling. The TV stays in FULL mode and the player automatically adjusts for 4:3 material, with excellent results on non-anamorphic letterboxed material. This is now a non-issue for me.

#7 of 28 GerardoHP

GerardoHP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted January 22 2002 - 04:55 AM

Glenn, what does the player do when playing 4:3 material? Does it place black bars on the sides?
Gerardo

#8 of 28 mike martin

mike martin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted January 22 2002 - 04:57 AM

I know this is off topic; but I found myself thinking back to the days of video cassettes when you had to endure the previews and intros or at the least fast forword. Now it's simply a matter of hitting a chapter skip button. Awwwww, DVD. Posted Image

As for the extras, to be sure I notice when extras are not anamorphic. Its strange how it really didn't take me long to get used to widescreen; but I sure notice full screen when it pops up. In general I can endure full screen extras so long as the movie is anamorphic. While I agree that everything should be wide perhaps this is a battle we should fight at a different time. We are still fighting for the supremacy of wide screen features. If we can win that one, and HDTV begins to dominate the household, everything else will fall into place.

#9 of 28 Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted January 22 2002 - 05:28 AM

I am all for making all the extras, including trailer and intro's anamorphic...if doing so doesn't use up so much data space that the movie has to encoded at a lower bit rate. If that is the case, screw the previews and intro's-I want the film to look as good as it can.

Bruce
The Mads are calling

#10 of 28 JeffMuller

JeffMuller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted January 22 2002 - 05:45 AM

Hey, is this trailer anamorphic?

No, but your face is. Posted Image

(sorry, obscure movie reference... with a twist)

#11 of 28 Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted January 22 2002 - 06:00 AM

Quote:
Hey, is this trailer anamorphic?

No, but your face is.

But why do my DVDs have to be non-anormphic?

Bad karma, dear...

Posted Image

- Matthew "Well Peter Piper Picked A Pepper, I Guess I'm Hip To It" Millheiser
Whenever the laws of any state are broken, a duly authorized organization swings into action. It may be the called the State Police, State Troopers, Militia, the Rangers, or the Highway Patrol THE CITIZENS AUXILIARY POLICE!!! These are the stories of the men whose training, skill, and courage,...

#12 of 28 GlennH

GlennH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted January 22 2002 - 08:05 AM

Quote:
Glenn, what does the player do when playing 4:3 material? Does it place black bars on the sides?
Exactly.

4:3 material has black bars on the sides.

Non-anamorphic letterboxed material is scaled up to 16:9, filling the screen horizontally. Some DVDs (e.g., TITANIC) are not flagged properly which causes the auto-detect feature not to work, in which case you get the black bars on sides and top/bottom. In that case you can manually select "Zoom" in the player.

#13 of 28 Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted January 22 2002 - 08:17 AM

I want the best quality out of ALL material on the disc, which means 4:3 encoded as 4:3 and >= 1.78 encoded as 16:9. 1.66 has merit encoded either way so I'll leave it as either although selfishly prefer 16:9 for that extra 12%.

I see no reason to reduce the video quality of the extras for everyone just so those of us with 16x9 capable display devices don't have to switch modes.

As far as those damn auto-start trailers, I with everyone who says "GET RID OF THE DAMN THINGS!" enhanced or not.

Chuck Anstey

#14 of 28 Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted January 22 2002 - 09:09 AM

Actually, I don't mind the mix of 4:3 and 16:9 content, because my TV can automatically switch between the two, and I think most TV's do...

That being said, I would very much prefer if everything widescreen was in 16:9...

A r t u r M e i n i l d
People Strategy Consultant (M.Sc. Eng.)Semi-professional Composer & Musician

#15 of 28 Kip

Kip

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted January 22 2002 - 09:14 AM

Quote:
Actually, I don't mind the mix of 4:3 and 16:9 content, because my TV can automatically switch between the two, and I think most TV's do...
My Sony XBR won't auto switch when playing DVD's in progressive mode. It's a pain in the rear. I'm with you on all anamorphic content!

Kip

#16 of 28 Joseph Young

Joseph Young

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted January 22 2002 - 09:19 AM

I'm also one whose television auto-senses anamorphic content. I was at my brother's the other day, and I kept forgetting to turn 16:9 mode 'off' on his WEGA, assuming it would automatically switch.

Of course, I would prefer all anamorphic content, but it's not a big deal for me since my television's screen is square. I can understand for those of you who have widescreen tvs, definitely. Posted Image

Joseph (counting the days until Sony comes to fix his defective WEGA!!!)

#17 of 28 TyC

TyC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted January 22 2002 - 10:27 AM

Why would anamorphic content take up more space than letterboxed content?
"I HATE WIDESCREEN! I HATE THE BLACK BARS!!!"
"You are like the little kid that trades dimes for nickels because nickels are larger."

#18 of 28 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 13,816 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 22 2002 - 10:39 AM

TyC: There's less black bars, therefore less redundant information. It's the same reason why anamorphic offers higher resolutions. That said, the DVD would have to be literally jam-packed to have the extra file sizes affect the content of the disc.

As long as the content has an aspect ratio of >=1.78:1, then I really don't care weither it's anamorphic or not. I have a 4:3 set now (and a new one to be delivered on the 26th) but my DVD player makes the difference undistinguishable. However, for my HTPC setup, it makes quite a big difference, so I'm all for 16:9 content when applicable.

#19 of 28 TyC

TyC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted January 22 2002 - 10:59 AM

Thanks. And to put my 2 cents in, I think the everything should be the same as the feature (anamorphic or not). However, I doubt this will happen soon.
"I HATE WIDESCREEN! I HATE THE BLACK BARS!!!"
"You are like the little kid that trades dimes for nickels because nickels are larger."

#20 of 28 Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted January 22 2002 - 04:05 PM

Ron,

Totally agreed! Posted Image

Quote:
As long as the movie is anamorphic, that is all that matters.

Almost 90% or more buy DVDs for the movie. It's been covered countless times here.

If the movie looks great, is OAR and anamorphic, it's all good!

Troy
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow