Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Denon AVR-4802

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Tim_Wes

Tim_Wes

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted January 21 2002 - 03:01 AM

A little help please. I'm considering buying the Denon AVR-4802. I as interested in music as theater and really want a nice sounding unit. I also like the flexibility the Denon gives. Any thoughts and possible "better" sounding units would be of great help. Thanks

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter

• 1,530 posts

Posted January 21 2002 - 03:53 AM

if you buy it from an un-authorized dealer such as etronics.com, make sure you keep the package intact. dont send the warranty card back to denon. make sure everything is in mint condition in case the receiver stops working correctly, otherwise etronics may not want to help you.

http://www.hometheat....threadid=39999

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   JohnnyN

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts

Posted January 21 2002 - 04:24 AM

What Speakers are you running? Do you mind a not too easy set up? (it's not hard, just not easy). Are you looking to buy online or from a brick and mortar? If you are buying from a brick and mortar what other brands do they have available for demonstration?

I would advise you to shop the internet for lowest prices and then equipped with a knowledge of what brick and mortar's "could" be charging, you could ask for a better price. Even if I have to pay $100-$200 to buy from a brick and mortar I will, because I get to have it right then and there, the store gets the extra $30-50 that fedex or ups would've gotten (twice), I can always return to the store, etc... Money "CAN" buy peace of mind.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Phil Wyeth

Phil Wyeth

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted January 21 2002 - 04:55 AM

bump*

I am looking at the same model. My ownly hesitation is the price of the thing. Its value is not that good, in comparison to the 3802. There is nearly a price difference of $1000 between the two.

I think the price jump comes from the Atkis remote and the THX cert. Not sure if all that is worth it, maybe John/I'll go with the 3802. Ask yourself is the remote really worth it, cause right there is a 'hidden' extra $300 I think. just a thought

BTW, I plan on making my purchase via online. Its not a matter of saving my self $100-$200, more like saving myself $400-$500!!!!!!!!
Finally!, After all that username/password nonesense of getting registered with the forums, I am here.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   JohnnyN

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts

Posted January 21 2002 - 05:12 AM

Phil,

I think you should be able to take the lowest internet price you find to a brick and mortar and bargain to within $100-$200 more than that lowest price. I've done that before, if they won't give you that price then go elsewhere, but give it a shot before you pass up that peace of mind.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor

• 816 posts

Posted January 21 2002 - 05:22 AM

I agree with Johnny.

I paid full retail for my 5800. It sounds bad, but my local B&M allowed full trade in value for a Denon 3300 that I had purchased a year earlier from them for $1000. I know that in the lower 48 states you guys have more options closer to where you live. With that in mind, finding an authorized dealer should be easier than it is in Alaska. I could've saved $1300 buying on-line but wouldn't have been able to trade my 3300...one of the nice benefits you can get by working with a local dealer. Not to mention, if something goes wrong...you've got a place to take it and a real face to talk to about your problem.

Jeremy

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Rob W

Rob W

Second Unit

• 468 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted January 21 2002 - 12:29 PM

I have owned this unit for three weeks now and am still thrilled at how much better it sounds than my previous Pioneer Elite THX Receiver from about four years ago. The THX processing is a real godsend if you watch a lot of films . This unit also has Dolby ProLogic 2 which is a SIGNIFICANT improvement over standard Pro-Logic. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a rf-input for AC-3 laserdiscs but very few receivers do nowadays.