Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

made some speaker cables

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Chriss M

Chriss M

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted January 19 2002 - 01:23 PM

just finished making these to hook up my new Paradigm Studio 40's, which are on their way to me. It ended up taking alot longer than expected, but i think they came out pretty nice. I havent hooked them up yet to see how they sound, or even if there will be any difference at all from my current 12ga. wire, but i think they look alot better Posted Image

here's a pic

Posted Image

Total cost was about $50 for the 12ft pair.

#2 of 6 Roy Wallace

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted January 19 2002 - 06:31 PM

Nice!
What make are the banana jacks, and where did you get them?

RW
I have a subwoofer! I have to watch EVERY movie I own AGAIN!!

#3 of 6 Chriss M

Chriss M

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted January 20 2002 - 02:51 AM

The banana jacks are the ones available on ebay. They are 8 dollars for 4 plugs. These are the ones - http://cgi.ebay.com/....tem=1323194506

The wire is 8 gauge twisted speaker wire available from the same guy for $ 1.50 /ft. It's HUGE. definitely not good if you want to keep your speaker wire discrete and hidden Posted Image

#4 of 6 Charles J P

Charles J P

Screenwriter

• 2,028 posts

Posted January 20 2002 - 01:24 PM

I take it those are not bi-wires Posted Image

#5 of 6 Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted January 20 2002 - 01:56 PM

Very nice Chriss. Maybe you could post some instructions.

Kevin C. Posted Image

#6 of 6 Chriss M

Chriss M

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted January 20 2002 - 02:18 PM

no not biwires Posted Image i thought about it, but im not quite sure how i would pull it off with that wire, and also i have my doubts about any advantage biwiring might provide (although that is a discussion for another thread Posted Image )

as for instructions...well it's really very simple. Only reason is took me so long is because it took me FOREVER to strip back the outside casing that holds the 2 8-gauge wires. Once you get that peeled back, you just need to stip the ends and insert them into the bananas. I also used some shrinkwrap to make the wires fit perfectly flush with the opening of the banana plug.