What's new

Tom Cruise and "Great Directors" (1 Viewer)

John O

Stunt Coordinator
I realize that people can debate about how talented Tom Cruise is as an actor. I think few will argue that the guy has worked with some talented directors. Here is a partial list: Kubrick, Scorsese, Stone, Coppola, Pollack, Levinson, Woo, De Palma and Ridley Scott. Now that Mr Cruise has worked with Spielberg on the upcoming Minority Report, who is left?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I have always thought that Tom Cruise was an underated actor. As for other directors, how about Baz Luhrmann for one. That would be interesting to say the least.:D

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
How bout:

David Lynch

James Cameron

Woody Allen

Tim Burton

Spike Lee

George Lucas

Robert Zemeckis (sp?)

John O

Stunt Coordinator
Paul
I was thinking Lynch myself, but you have a pretty impressive list. Hey the guy is 40 yrs old, I think he will wind up working with every director worth a damn by the time he retires.
Tino
I also think he is an underated performer as well. maybe he can work with Baz and Nicole in a prequel to Moulin Rouge. :D

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
I just can't see Tom Cruise in a Spike Lee joint...
Or a Lucas film for that matter [unless he is an extra ;)]
And Woody Allen, nah, can't see that either...
I wouldn't mind working with Nicole :)

Patrick G

Second Unit
Fincher, man, FINCHER! His ex almost worked with him, so maybe he will sometime in the near future.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorite actors. About underrated tough, didn't he win best supporting actor for Magnolia last year?

--

Holadem

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Holadem
He was nominated 2 years ago for Magnolia, but lost to Michael Caine for The Cider House Rules. He did win the Golden Globe that year though.
He has also been nominated as Best Actor for Born In The U.S.A and Jerry Maguire, and lost both times.
To me, he just doesn't seem to get the respect that other nominated actors do, that's what I meant by underated.
Perhaps Mr. Spielberg will change that for good. I heard that Minority Report is great.

Guy_K

Second Unit
you forgot Jerry Maguire andre! :)
how about spike jonze, tarantino, soderbergh, farrely brothers, mann.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Best Actor for Born In The U.S.A
I thought he got the GRAMMY for that one. :):laugh:
think fireworks there buddy.
I think Cruise is an excellent actor and was terrific in Eyes Wide Shut. In fact I like him in almost every role he has done, despite the films sometimes. Even MI2 which I didn't like, he was still solid as his character.
But he has been in some schlock. Some of the dislike feels like backlash too, due to his popularity and looks it seems.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I still think his best work was Risky Business;) .
>>I realize that people can debate about how talented Tom Cruise is as an actor. I think few will argue that the guy has worked with some talented directors.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget probably the best of the young directors... Paul Thomas Anderson, which gave Cruise an Oscar nomination.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks