What's new

1-disc rereleases of 2-disc SEs from Fox (1 Viewer)

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
DVDEmpire is listing one disc editions of The Abyss, Independence Day and Cast Away coming out on 3/5.

No specs listed yet except the $19.99 MSRP, but the idea is interesting (troubling?). I guess I don't follow the logic of rereleasing these titles which are already affordably priced.

I can only hope that The Abyss does not include an anamorphic transfer.

Thoughts?

-Chad

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I THINK that these are the original DVDs with a price drop. Not sure what the single disc thing is about.

-Tom

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
They did re-release Patton, which was formerly a two-discer, on one disc a little while ago. Of course, the one disc version was missing some of the extras from the original.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Patton was a limited edition thats why it was rereleased
Nowhere on my 2-disc copy of Patton is limited edition mentioned. Where is that info from?
If true that would be funny since it was released on the same day as the enternally limited edition of Saving Private Ryan. ;)
-Chad

MatS

Screenwriter
oddly enough I was just going to post this info...here you go...
One is the loneliest number - 4:03pm
So, is this the start of a new trend? On 3/5, Fox will reprice three of its most popular catalog titles - Cast Away, The Abyss, and Independence Day - to only $19.95, which seems like great news, right? Well, there is one little catch...these reissues will be single-disc versions only, i.e., the second disc of supplementary material on all three titles will be dropped. Why bother, you might ask? Well, common sense would say that it is obviously cheaper to replicate a one-disc set rather than two, hence the lower cost. Personally, I think this is a REALLY bad idea...it is confusing to consumers (how will these discs be marketed and packaged, as "Single Disc Special Editions?") and why create double inventory? And how long will the two-disc versions currently on the market last? Who knows...but get those two-disc wonders why you can...
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-....html#01162002

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The new discs should be DVD-18's (with a 2nd bonus disc featuring the printed artwork on both sides ;) )

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I think that the big problem with DVD18 was it cost MORE than two discs to produce... so that wouldn't solve the problem. Somebody get Peter Staddon in here ;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The Patton 2-disc did NOT go OOP, they just added a "Fox War Classics" banner to it I believe, and they changed the catalog #. I can find it all over the place.

Fox is just putting out 1 disc editions of the big SEs for the lower price market is all

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Jeff, you're mistaken. The new Patton is a one-disc version. From the review on DVD File:
In November of 1999, Fox Home Video released a special edition two-disk set of "Patton", complete with a documentary on the making of the film. Now Fox is releasing the first disc of that set under the banner, "Fox War Classics."
So, if you have the 2-disc version, like I do, be happy.
I've been putting off buying Cast Away for a while now. Maybe I should buy the 2-disc version before it goes away.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Marvin is right. There were a number of threads about Patton before, but what was supposed to happen was that both releases would be available and the "Fox War Classics" one disc is the budget line.

It is news to me that the 2-disc is OOP. I would recommend that people pick it up if it is going out of print.

Back to the topic at hand though, I can't believe anyone would want to miss out on the extras of the second discs for a street price difference of at most $5. Especially the fantastic doc on the second disc of The Abyss.

-Chad

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
The 2-disc of Patton did go OOP. Here is Image's latest listing of DVDs being discontinued:
6th Day (Movie-Only Edition) COL05074DVD
Anastasia FOX4112601DVD
Art Of Fighting ID4413CTDVD
Babe (Dolby Digital) 20013DVD
Babe (DTS) 20455DVD
Babe: Pig In The City 20527DVD
Beauty And The Beast (Special Edition/ 1946) BEA120DVD
Beethoven (1992) M20027DVD
Beethoven's 2nd 20270DVD
Dragonheart (Movie-Only Edition/ DTS) 20463DVD
Dragonheart (Special Edition/ Dolby Digital) 20161DVD
Extreme Force CL12050DVD
Flintstones: The Movie (Movie-Only Edition/ DTS) 20562DVD
Flintstones: The Movie (Special Edition/ Dolby Digital) 20274DVD
Groundhog Day (Movie-Only Edition) 52299DVD
Hi-Line CL11201DVD
Little Rascals (1994/ Dolby Digital) 20034DVD
Little Rascals (1994/ DTS) 20561DVD
Patton (Special Edition) FOX4112579DVD
Peter Pan (Movie-Only Edition/ 1953) DIS18786DVD
Reservoir Dogs 60442DVD
Sammyville CL12029DVD
Sex And Bullets CL12043DVD
Simple Wish 20271DVD
Suckers (Special Edition/ 1999) CL12036DVD
Titanic (1994/ A & E Documentary) ID4511ANDVD

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Beauty And The Beast (Special Edition/ 1946) BEA120DVD
Hmmm...that's not the Criterion Collection one being discontinued, is it? Why...yes it is. I'll have to go pick it up today; I know exactly where a copy is in-stock.

Looks like more eBay fodder for the greedy...

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
This one disc re-issue idea stinks! It stinks I tells ya! :thumbsdown:
Lets hope it doesn't catch on.

Larry Gelfand

Premium
Real Name
Larry Gelfand
Re: BatB

>Hmmm...that's not the Criterion Collection one being

>discontinued, is it? Why...yes it is. I'll have

>to go pick it up today; I know exactly where a copy is in

>stock.

According to Lasersedge, it's to make way for a remastered version later this year:

"DVD discontinued

Beauty And The Beast (Special Edition/ 1946)BEA120DVD

NOTE: Discontinued as of 1/15; a remastered version will be released in Fall 2002"

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Is the Abyss going to be anamorphic?

I'm assuming not considering how much trouble they said it would be for 2-disc SE, but you never know I guess.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
About the Transfer
Beauty and the Beast is presented in the aspect ratio of 1.33:1. This new digital transfer was created from a 35mm composite fine grain master. Telecine colorist: Gregg Garvin/Modern Videofilm, L.A. Telecine supervision: Maria Palazzola. Video restoration: Mathematical Technologies, Inc., RI. Audio Restoration: Michael W. Wiese. DVD compression and authoring: EDS Digital Studios, L.A. Extra materials courtesy of South Carolina Educational Television. Menu design: Sean Wright-Anderson.
Uh-oh. I don't know what to do. I'll probably just run out and get the current version, since I've never heard anything bad about it's transfer...everyone's always said it was great! If the remake comes along and is better, I'm sure I can always eBay off an early copy just for some completist out there! :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks