What's new

Home Depot 12ga wire OK for in wall? (1 Viewer)

AaronG

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if the Home Depot 12ga speaker wire is ok for in wall wiring? If it isn't, what should I use?

Thanks,

Aaron

KrisM

Second Unit
I would check with your local electrical codes. In wall wire has a different coating/cover than regular wire. I would hate to somebody have troubles with an insurance claim because of improper wiring.

Regards

KrisM

Cam S

Screenwriter
Yes, that wire is the properly UL (I think that's the aproval rating) aproved for in wall wiring. This stuff comes in green and the 14ga comes in blue, which is the stuff I got. Great wire, with a high strand count.

look for a CL2 or CL3 rating on the cable, one or both of those are rated for in wall instalations. but double check with a pro before wasting your cash....

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Darn it!

I thought you were interested in 12 guage speaker wire from HD for your speakers!

I did read wall wiring.

Oh well.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Thanks Jayson for clearing the rating up, I guess I could have just looked at my wire. The 14ga blue wire from home depot is CL3 aproved. I didn't get mine from HD, but it's the same stuff.

Leo

Second Unit
Don't know what your cost limits are but you can use JPS Labs Super Blue Theater wire. It's UL rate for in wall use. JPS Labs I have this wire and their JPS Labs HDTV 75ohm wire running throughout my room.

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
glad I found this post :)
The speaker wire that I've been using is Monster XP .. I guess it's monster cable's standard spwaker cable... is this stuff ok for going in walls?

Cam S

Screenwriter
If the cable is rated for being used in the wall it wikll be UL rated and will be folowed by either a CL2 or CL3 rating.

KrisM

Second Unit
Do any Canadians know if the UL ratings are good enough for us or do we also need a CSA rating as well? Just curious.

Regards

KrisM

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Kris:
I spoke to a guy at Home Depot in Edmonton, and he told me that their blue 14GA wire and the green 12GA was perfect for in wall use. He said it met all safety codes with no problem as long as it has that insulated jacket.
I am using the 12GA myself for my new house, and find it very affordable at $0.92 per Meter. That's three feet for you Americans.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.