What's new

This is what I THINK I'm buying (unless I hear otherwise) (1 Viewer)

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Already have Sony Flat Screen WEGA with Sony DVD NS700P DVD player. Yamaha Subwoofer and 2 Inifity bookshelf Speakers I used as main speakers.

SO - Unless I hear negative comments

I'll get a Infinity Entra Center and 2 Infinity One's. The One's will become the main front speakers and I'll move the book shelf speakers to the rear.

For a Reciever - a Yamaha RXV420 seems good for my limited budget.

Comments? Any unique ideas for stands for the rear speakers? I MIGHT fork out $100 for some cool stands but if there are unique alternatives I'd LOve to hear them. I can always use nice wooden TV trays but I have limited space for one speaker.

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Rod,

The only negative I would have is the lack of

pre-amp outputs.

My wife purchased one of those big

'arm-wah' enterainment center units. Believe it or not

they (Basset Furniture Co.) left absolutely no room for

for my WEGA 32" and any kind of 'center' speaker. So I:

1) Connected the 'center' channel pre-amp output to a 'Y'

cable to the Sony's line level inputs.

2) Used the receivers graphic equalizer to 'match' the

tone of the Sony speakers to the mains.

3) Set up all levels with the Avia DVD and a SPL meter

and corrected the center to main phase with Avia DVD.

The receiver that I have is the HTR-5280. For about $500.00

it has pre-amp outputs and a center channel equalizer.

The Avia DVD and SPL meter may be more important to your sucess than pre-amp outputs.

JRS

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Made a change already - going up $100 to the Yamaha 520. 4 S-Video connections compared to . . . .ZERO!! I looed at the Pioneer at the same price but the THD% seem hi (0.2 compared to 0.016)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Rod, definitely go with the Yamaha RXV-620. I almost got the 520, but for not too much more money, I bought the 620. It is an awesome receiver. It still does not have the pre-amp outputs, but it has more power than the 520. It also has component video switch, a big plus.

Best of luck though!

Karl_C

Grip
OT: Jeffrey, I'm also using a Yamha 620 but I hear a hiss/rattlesnake-like sound on my speakers even without any component connected to the AVR? It increases when I increase the volume. Do you experience this problem with your AVR?

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
I own a whole set of Infinity Alpha series (next series above entra) and I love them to death. I like the sound of all Infinity speakers in general because I find they reproduce mid and high's very clear. I believe the Entra One's are bookshelf speakers right? I believe they cost roughly $150 each. see if you can budget the Infinity Alpha 20 bookshelf speakers (you can read a nice review of these on Sound and Vision magazines' web site). I've heard both speakers side by side and the Alpha series definitely have a much richer and warmer sound to them. and I think they are $199 each, so if you can afford the extra $100 for the pair, that's what i would recommend. Also the Entra series has now been discountinued and replaced by the similarly priced Primus series. But the Primus series lack the use of Infinity's patented CMMD speaker cone material(very strong and lightweight material). Primus series only uses MMD and is not as lightweight and durable a material as CMMD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks