-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Carry On - Where Art Thou?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Neil White

Neil White

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted January 14 2002 - 03:50 PM

(Did a search - nada)

What's the situation with the Carry On films and DVD? Now that would be a nice box set. Commentaries would be kinda hard considering most of the original cast are dead and gone but I'd buy bare bones discs if I had to (OAR of course).

Were these movies ever shown in the US (only been here 5 years myself)? If not, I guess R1 DVD is out of the question Posted Image

Anyone have any information?

N

#2 of 11 Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted January 14 2002 - 04:53 PM

All these films are out in R2, most in widescreen. If D-grade tripe like "Are You Being Served" can be released in R1, there's no reason why this vastly superior form of smutty English humour shouldn't also be released, as there's obviously a market for it in the US.

#3 of 11 Bill McA

Bill McA

Producer

• 5,969 posts

Posted January 14 2002 - 05:25 PM

Yes, these films have been released in the U.S.

Anchor Bay is currently working on releasing a whole slew of these titles to DVD and I think they will be releasing them as double features.

Check their website for more info...

#4 of 11 Neil White

Neil White

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted January 15 2002 - 11:10 AM

Thanks Bill!

#5 of 11 BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted January 15 2002 - 11:51 AM

Superb, Bill, that's great news.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#6 of 11 Rob W

Rob W

Second Unit

• 460 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted January 15 2002 - 01:08 PM

You might also want to check out COR, BLIMEY! a made for TV movie about the real life "affair' between Sid James & Barbra Windsor while they were making the Carry On films. It was made in England but is available in Canada on DVD. I don't know if it's also out in the U.S.

It's an odd little film as a collection of look-a-likes play such well-loved characters as Sid, Barbra, Charles Hawtrey and Kenneth Williams. Ms. Windsor herself makes a cameo appearance at the finale. I think I preferred to see them as the happy oddballs from the films rather than the slightly sad group the movie displays.Still, you'll probably want to take a look if you're a fan.

#7 of 11 Andy_MT

Andy_MT

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted August 10 2002 - 07:31 AM

those interested in the carry on films should see an announcement on anchor bays' website within the next few weeks. at least that's what they told me Posted Image

http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/

#8 of 11 Neil White

Neil White

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted August 10 2002 - 08:05 AM

I've been waiting. They've been in the 'last half of 2002' section for ages so I was hoping for some announcement soon.

Thx

N

#9 of 11 James Stone

James Stone

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted August 10 2002 - 10:43 AM

COR BLIMEY is on DVD in N. America through BFS and can be found at Deep Discount DVD for $10.76 (and worth it).

And I have it on good authority that Anchor Bay WILL release twelve CARRY ON titles (in six 'two-fer' editions) by year's end. Posted Image

#10 of 11 Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted August 10 2002 - 01:04 PM

Great news.

#11 of 11 Neil White

Neil White

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted August 10 2002 - 03:04 PM

Yes, I got Cor, Blimey! at someones suggestion here. A good, fun flick with an interesting look into the background of the Carry On cast. Kenneth Williams was kinda interesting!

N