What's new

"A Night At The Opera" DVD-A pushed back?? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Figures. I wasn't planning on hitting my local Best Buy stores tomorrow anyway since they haven't gotten recent DVD-Audio discs on the release dates, but this is disappointing news anyway. :angry:

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I wasn't planning on hitting my local Best Buy stores tomorrow anyway since they haven't gotten recent DVD-Audio discs on the release dates
Actually, my BB hasn't been too bad, even had last weeks Doobie Brothers disc.

My complaints are:

Their DVD-A display is always a mess.

And pricing - $23 a disc (as compared to SACD) is obviously higher.

Randy Schimka

Auditioning
Hi Guys,

Well, here's some great news and some not-so-good news. First, the good stuff.

At the recent CES show, I was able to preview many of the tracks from the upcoming Queen DVD-A disc. It definitely sounds first-rate...(especially Bohemian Rhapsody)....

The bad news is that the DTS guy at the demo booth said that the disc won't hit the stores until April....No reason for the delay...

However, whatever the wait, it'll definitely be worth it...

Randy

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
Unless DVD Empire has a different supplier for their DTS DVD-Audio discs, Queen: A Night At The Opera will not be streeting until sometime in April, at the earliest.

This is according to reps from DTS at the recent CES.

Daniel L

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, I live in Delaware (i.e., Dela-WHERE? :)), and it seems that the smaller market is slow to get the new discs. I don't know. All I know is that when Eagles Hotel California and Hootie & the Blowfish Cracked Rear View came out in December, I had to go to a Best Buy and a Compact Disc World in New Jersey to get them. The Best Buy stores in Delaware are just slow to get in the new titles.
I agree that it is disappointing to see DVD-Audio discs selling for $22.99 at Best Buy, when SACDs are selling for $16.99 and $18.99. Of course, you get video content on DVD-Audio discs, but I could care less about that. I just want the music. In any event, I try to get DVD-Audio discs at Compact Disc World since they sell them for $19.99.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
What is the hold-up with A Night at the Opera? DTS demoed it at CES, and a professional reviewer reviewed it online recently. What's the deal? :angry:

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
DTS is in the process of chainging distributors, for the second time in two years. Valley Media filed for chapter 11 right before Thanksgiving, so DTS need to find somebody else to put up with the countless delays and unfulfilled promises.

I was told the new company was Navaree, but I don'tknow who these peoeple are.

Daniel L

Brandon

Agent
The disc that went out for review went out on accident. The mix was not up to par (as the review pointed out) and Brian May went to LA to work on it. I've heard April is the target release, if it's up to Brian's standards.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
One delay is bad enough, but two plain suck. I'm not holding my breath for A Night at the Opera. :frowning:

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Call me pessimistic, but I don't see how they're going to meet the re-scheduled April 30 release date. I believe it's been stated that Brian May only finished supervising the new re-mix around the middle of March. That would mean that things would really have to click in order for the disc to be ready to ship by April 30. I guess it's possible, but the track record with this title would seem to point to a different conclusion.

I'm just sort of assuming it'll be in May. If I'm wrong and they manage the 4/30 date, it'll be a nice surprise.

Brandon

Agent
Brian's been hard at work on the new Queen musical for at least a month now. I think he finished work on ANATO sometime in Feb, so maybe they will hit their April target date.

DVDANGLE.COM has a review of the new Brian May-supervised 5.1-channel remix of "Night At The Opera" and it's a mostly positive one. So it looks like the April 30th street date is a firm one.:emoji_thumbsup:

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I received the new DTS/DVD-Audio version of A Night At The Opera today in the mail from CDNow.
There are 3 ways to listen to this disc:
1. DVDA 5.1 mix
2. DTS 5.1 mix
3. Stereo mix
Let me tell you, the DTS version blows away the DVDA version by a mile. What power, what bass, what fun!
This album has never sounded better. It will leave you breathless. I can throw my cd version away.
The DTS mix is exciting and full of Surround information. The room just swirls in sound.
By comparison the DVDA tracks amazingly sounds tame compared to the DTS tracks. The sound is very good but doesn't overwhelm like the DTS tracks do. I would guess purists may prefer the DVDA tracks but I think the DTS tracks are much more fun! And this is a fun album.
So this is good news for the folks who don't have a DVDA player. The DTS tracks are so good, everyone with a DTS capable Home Theater will love this disc.
This title was delayed by months but its been worth the wait.
This is a MUST buy for Rock fans! :D
JohnG

John Geelan

Screenwriter
True, thats probably it.

I was listening to the DVDA at -18 on my Denon 3300 and when I switch to the DTS track the sound is much louder at that same volume level.

Still the DTS tracks seem to be more fun to listen to.

JohnG

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
So, has anyone seen the Queen DVD-Audio disc at brick-and-mortar stores (Best Buy, for example)? I really want this disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks