Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"A Night At The Opera" DVD-A pushed back??

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 of 70 OFFLINE   Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted January 14 2002 - 05:17 AM

It was coming out tomorrow...but according to DVD Empire it has been pushed back to Feb 2nd......Posted Image

#2 of 70 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted January 14 2002 - 11:36 AM

Figures. I wasn't planning on hitting my local Best Buy stores tomorrow anyway since they haven't gotten recent DVD-Audio discs on the release dates, but this is disappointing news anyway. Posted Image
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#3 of 70 OFFLINE   John Tillman

John Tillman

Supporting Actor

• 598 posts

Posted January 14 2002 - 02:16 PM

Quote:
I wasn't planning on hitting my local Best Buy stores tomorrow anyway since they haven't gotten recent DVD-Audio discs on the release dates

Actually, my BB hasn't been too bad, even had last weeks Doobie Brothers disc.

My complaints are:

Their DVD-A display is always a mess.

And pricing - $23 a disc (as compared to SACD) is obviously higher.
__
JT

#4 of 70 OFFLINE   Randy Schimka

Randy Schimka

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 14 2002 - 03:26 PM

Hi Guys,
Well, here's some great news and some not-so-good news. First, the good stuff.

At the recent CES show, I was able to preview many of the tracks from the upcoming Queen DVD-A disc. It definitely sounds first-rate...(especially Bohemian Rhapsody)....

The bad news is that the DTS guy at the demo booth said that the disc won't hit the stores until April....No reason for the delay...

However, whatever the wait, it'll definitely be worth it...

Randy

#5 of 70 OFFLINE   Daniel L

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted January 14 2002 - 03:27 PM

Unless DVD Empire has a different supplier for their DTS DVD-Audio discs, Queen: A Night At The Opera will not be streeting until sometime in April, at the earliest.

This is according to reps from DTS at the recent CES.

Daniel L

#6 of 70 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted January 14 2002 - 03:29 PM

John, I live in Delaware (i.e., Dela-WHERE? Posted Image), and it seems that the smaller market is slow to get the new discs. I don't know. All I know is that when Eagles Hotel California and Hootie & the Blowfish Cracked Rear View came out in December, I had to go to a Best Buy and a Compact Disc World in New Jersey to get them. The Best Buy stores in Delaware are just slow to get in the new titles.

I agree that it is disappointing to see DVD-Audio discs selling for $22.99 at Best Buy, when SACDs are selling for $16.99 and $18.99. Of course, you get video content on DVD-Audio discs, but I could care less about that. I just want the music. In any event, I try to get DVD-Audio discs at Compact Disc World since they sell them for $19.99.
My:
Second Stereo System ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#7 of 70 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted January 14 2002 - 03:31 PM

What is the hold-up with A Night at the Opera? DTS demoed it at CES, and a professional reviewer reviewed it online recently. What's the deal? Posted Image
My:
Second Stereo System ;

#8 of 70 OFFLINE   Daniel L

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted January 15 2002 - 07:03 AM

DTS is in the process of chainging distributors, for the second time in two years. Valley Media filed for chapter 11 right before Thanksgiving, so DTS need to find somebody else to put up with the countless delays and unfulfilled promises.

I was told the new company was Navaree, but I don'tknow who these peoeple are.

Daniel L

#9 of 70 OFFLINE   Brandon

Brandon

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted January 16 2002 - 03:53 PM

The disc that went out for review went out on accident. The mix was not up to par (as the review pointed out) and Brian May went to LA to work on it. I've heard April is the target release, if it's up to Brian's standards.
I do exist

#10 of 70 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted January 16 2002 - 10:18 PM

One delay is bad enough, but two plain suck. I'm not holding my breath for A Night at the Opera. Posted Image
My:
Second Stereo System ;

#11 of 70 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,237 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 29 2002 - 10:10 AM

Is there still an April target date for this title?

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#12 of 70 OFFLINE   Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted March 31 2002 - 08:34 AM

Call me pessimistic, but I don't see how they're going to meet the re-scheduled April 30 release date. I believe it's been stated that Brian May only finished supervising the new re-mix around the middle of March. That would mean that things would really have to click in order for the disc to be ready to ship by April 30. I guess it's possible, but the track record with this title would seem to point to a different conclusion.

I'm just sort of assuming it'll be in May. If I'm wrong and they manage the 4/30 date, it'll be a nice surprise.

#13 of 70 OFFLINE   Brandon

Brandon

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted March 31 2002 - 10:56 AM

Brian's been hard at work on the new Queen musical for at least a month now. I think he finished work on ANATO sometime in Feb, so maybe they will hit their April target date.
I do exist

#14 of 70 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,237 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 17 2002 - 11:08 AM

Any insight anyone? Are we getting close?

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#15 of 70 OFFLINE   luke j. chung

luke j. chung

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted April 17 2002 - 05:06 PM

DVDANGLE.COM has a review of the new Brian May-supervised 5.1-channel remix of "Night At The Opera" and it's a mostly positive one. So it looks like the April 30th street date is a firm one.Posted Image

#16 of 70 OFFLINE   John Geelan

John Geelan

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted April 18 2002 - 01:38 PM

CDNow sent me an email yesterday stating that this dvda has shipped. Hope to see it real soon!

JohnG
JohnG

(Proud Home Theater Forum Donor)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910Toshiba HD-DVD XA2/ Sony PS3Onix Rockets RS550MKIIsSVS 25-31CS subwoofer

#17 of 70 OFFLINE   John Geelan

John Geelan

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted April 19 2002 - 01:58 PM

I received the new DTS/DVD-Audio version of A Night At The Opera today in the mail from CDNow.

There are 3 ways to listen to this disc:

1. DVDA 5.1 mix
2. DTS 5.1 mix
3. Stereo mix

Let me tell you, the DTS version blows away the DVDA version by a mile. What power, what bass, what fun!
This album has never sounded better. It will leave you breathless. I can throw my cd version away.
The DTS mix is exciting and full of Surround information. The room just swirls in sound.

By comparison the DVDA tracks amazingly sounds tame compared to the DTS tracks. The sound is very good but doesn't overwhelm like the DTS tracks do. I would guess purists may prefer the DVDA tracks but I think the DTS tracks are much more fun! And this is a fun album.

So this is good news for the folks who don't have a DVDA player. The DTS tracks are so good, everyone with a DTS capable Home Theater will love this disc.

This title was delayed by months but its been worth the wait.
This is a MUST buy for Rock fans! Posted Image

JohnG
JohnG

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910Toshiba HD-DVD XA2/ Sony PS3Onix Rockets RS550MKIIsSVS 25-31CS subwoofer

#18 of 70 OFFLINE   Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted April 19 2002 - 02:10 PM

Turn up the volume on the DVD-A track...it may be that less dynamic compression was used in that mix.

-JNS

#19 of 70 OFFLINE   John Geelan

John Geelan

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted April 19 2002 - 02:17 PM

True, thats probably it.

I was listening to the DVDA at -18 on my Denon 3300 and when I switch to the DTS track the sound is much louder at that same volume level.

Still the DTS tracks seem to be more fun to listen to.

JohnG
JohnG

#20 of 70 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted April 20 2002 - 04:25 AM

So, has anyone seen the Queen DVD-Audio disc at brick-and-mortar stores (Best Buy, for example)? I really want this disc.
My:
Second Stereo System ;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users