Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Will Smith Superstar?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   bill lopez

bill lopez

Second Unit

• 420 posts

Posted January 14 2002 - 09:40 AM

It looks like ALI is going to bomb at the box-office so you think Will Smith's ego can handle this? After all the talk he did before the release of the film.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted January 14 2002 - 10:21 AM

People like him never think that way. It is always that other people were too stupid to understand his art.
To educate a man in mind and not morals is to educate a menace to society.
Teddy Roosevelt

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted January 14 2002 - 10:34 AM

Just because a film does less-than-stellar box office doesn't mean it's no good. (The Insider and The Shawshank Redemption come to mind.) Besides, six months from now, when Men in Black II is vaccuming up theatergoer $$$, no one will even remember what Ali grossed. M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Paul_D

Paul_D

Screenwriter

• 2,056 posts

Posted January 14 2002 - 10:34 AM

Given the political/historical nature of this film's plot, I'm not surprised its bombed. I think its a real shame though. If ever Will Smith deserved a film of his to do well, its now. Michael Mann just doesn't get the recognition/success he deserves.
[c][/c]
[c]"Where did you take, this girl Jerry?"[/c]

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted January 14 2002 - 10:51 AM

I just checked the figures. As of yesterday (1/13), Ali had done over $54 million at the U.S. box office. Not a runaway success by any stretch, but hardly a "bomb". In a world where most films depend on video and overseas sales to make a profit, it's too early to make pronouncements on the success or failure of Ali. The film hasn't even been released abroad yet. M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Thi Them

Thi Them

Producer

• 3,650 posts

Posted January 14 2002 - 11:05 AM

If you are referring to the talk like in the Playboy interview, Smith wasn't serious. I think Smith is proud of the movie, regardless of how much money it has made. Did anyone really expect this movie to gross a lot? Nevertheless, its final gross should be great for a Michael Mann film. ~T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users