Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Home Theater chair at Best Buy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Randy D

Randy D

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted January 13 2002 - 08:55 AM

The Best Buy in my area frequently runs a deal where you get a free leather chair with the purchase of any tv that costs $449 or more. They claim the chair has a value of $199. If you buy a projection tv, you get a free leather recliner and ottoman (this is supposedly a $349.99 value).

I have sat in these chairs and they are really comfortable and would suit me better than regular recliners for a dedicated hometheater room. They are much less bulky and less expensive.

My question is: Does anyone know where I can purchase these chairs or ones like them? The people at the local Best Buy haven't been much help in getting prices, etc. If anyone has seen these chairs at Best Buy, have you seen similar chairs anywhere else?

Randy D

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit

• 384 posts

Posted January 13 2002 - 09:36 AM

These chairs I think are modeled on the Ekornes Stressless chair, one of which I have. But, the one you get at Best Buy for free is probably not nearly as good. The real thing is sensational. I don't remember what I paid.

If you do a Google search for "stressless chair" you'll come up with a bunch of hits, including some used. Also, I'll bet there are lots on Ebay.

I would definitely take a used genuine Stressless in good shape over whatever Best Buy is offering.
Marc Rochkind (author of Home Theater Explained)
Marc's Home Theater Site (free ebook download of my book)

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted January 13 2002 - 10:45 AM

Jesus Christ. They list the retail of this chair as $2000. That is NOT a good deal. You can get a "Cigar Chair" for $1600 at most fine furniture stores, and it DWARFS this chair for comfort and materials. No offense to the guy that bought one, if you have a bad back, I guarantee something from Scandanavia is what you need, but if you are just looking for a chair, check out local furniture joints, because $2000...MAN.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted January 13 2002 - 11:06 AM

$2000? Try about half that. I have three Ekornes chairs for the front row of my theater and they cost me about $1100 each. They are incredibly comfortable.

-greg

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator

• 132 posts

Posted January 13 2002 - 11:07 AM

I don't remember what the best buy chair looks like, but perhaps you would be happy with the one that Office Max sells. Got to www.officemax.com and search for "ottoman" it is the only chair that comes up. Right now it is selling at $130 but every 6 months or so it goes for about $80, last time it did I picked up four of them for my HT.