Photo

Beginning Of The End For Ebert?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 of 43 Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted January 12 2002 - 11:58 AM

I sense another blow for Roger Ebert's looong presence in the movie going public's eye. The Ebert & Roeper at the Movies web site is down again, and probably for good.

Check out the site:
Ebert & Roeper

First the death of his long time partner, then the long search for his replacement, then the broohaha over Roeper's comments about LOTR. Ever since then no audio and now no site period.

And, of course this is a very subjective depending on who you talk to, Ebert's opinions over the last two years have become incoherent at best and a total sell out at worst.
I got a sweater for Christmas... I wanted a screamer or a moaner.

#2 of 43 bill lopez

bill lopez

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted January 12 2002 - 12:23 PM

You know if I was Ebert's Agent I would tell him dump the movie review show and start a EBERT ON DVD show. That he alone would review up coming dvd's.
Nobody listens to critics anymore because of word of mouth & internet. People are going to see movies like PLANET OF THE APES no matter what, but they will need someone to tell them if the dvd is any good.Posted Image

#3 of 43 Derek Miner

Derek Miner

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 12 2002 - 01:04 PM

Using the correct link as given out on the show would certainly help:

www.ebertandroeper.tv
= Derek Miner =
Co-founder, Sunscreen Film Festival

#4 of 43 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Advanced Member

• 23,177 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 12 2002 - 01:08 PM

OOPS! Does somebody feel just a bit silly.Posted Image

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#5 of 43 Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted January 12 2002 - 02:26 PM

:b :b :b :b :b :b :b :b :b :b :b

Lesson learned: Update links in favorites folder before opening trap. Posted Image

A million apologies to all and especially Mr. Ebert. I still think he needs to do something for his career. He seems to be in a slump and I think I am a little qualified to say this since I have been following his impressive work since the early seventies on PBS.

Les pido un gran perdon a todos.
I got a sweater for Christmas... I wanted a screamer or a moaner.

#6 of 43 Guy_K

Guy_K

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted January 12 2002 - 02:53 PM

I was just on that site today listening to the audio of Ebert / Clinton film discussion. I didn't know Bill was such a film fan!

#7 of 43 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts

Posted January 12 2002 - 02:54 PM

Quote:
then the broohaha over Roeper's comments about LOTR

I must have missed this controversy. Who can fill me in?

#8 of 43 Jim_C

Jim_C

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted January 12 2002 - 03:12 PM

Scott,

I don't remember it exactly but Roeper said something along the lines of 'all of this over some silly little ring'. The 'silly little ring' is a quote. He came across as completely uninformed and unprofessional in his preparation for the review. He seemed influenced by his lack of interest in the film, at least that was my take on it.

Check out the LOTR thread for more. IIRC there's a number of posts about it somewhere in the 35+ pages.

EDIT There's also a thread about Roeper that discussed his LOTR review.

http://www.hometheat....le ring roeper
You want to upgrade again?!!

#9 of 43 Terrell

Terrell

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted January 12 2002 - 04:02 PM

Actually, Roeper started off with a very good review and critique of the film. I had many of the same criticisms of the film he did. Although I'd give the film a thumbs up, and he gave it a thumbs down. Where he went a stray is when he started debating the merits of the film with Ebert, and he started criticizing the story instead of the film, making a quote such as "this silly little ring." That was the big fuss over his comments. But again, the first part of his review was fine. That was the main offending comment, where we croosed the line.

#10 of 43 DanaA

DanaA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted January 12 2002 - 04:04 PM

Guy, I too was impressed with Bill Clinton's knowledge and range regarding films.

#11 of 43 Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted January 12 2002 - 04:08 PM

It's funny how perception is. I hardly think Roeper's mixed Lord of the Rings review is hardly going to kill off the show or get him bumped. While people on online message boards were in an uproar, this didn't create a trickle of news anywhere else that I know. (I missed the show and wouldn't have even known about it if it weren't for the people on here ready to lynch him.)

Ebert seems to be doing quite fine, although some seem to get differing views confused with his "rightness" or "wrongness" and whether he still "has" it.

I met him at his Overlooked Film Festival and don't sense that he plans on slowing down any time soon. He was really enthusiastic and tireless in his activity during the festival.

Then again, the original reason for this post has already been answered.
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
My blog: Reel Times: Reflections on Cinema

#12 of 43 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 21,769 posts

Posted January 12 2002 - 04:19 PM

Mark, I agree -- the Roeper LOTR review was a tempest in a teapot. It was just a typical Roeper review, and it was easily dismissible. The difference was that he was criticizing a film with a rabid fan base.

If I were Roeper, I'd be thrilled that my comments got me so much notice. It's probably the most attention that's ever been paid to him. Posted Image

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#13 of 43 Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted January 12 2002 - 05:42 PM

Wow, Roeper is an idiot!

I just listened to the audio portion of there LOTR review and he complained that there was no "closure" at the end of the movie...

hmmm....perhaps because it's a TRILOGY!

mike
I will strike down upon thee with great vengence and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers...

#14 of 43 Terrell

Terrell

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted January 12 2002 - 05:58 PM

Actually, I believe he did say other trilogies had some closure. He just felt that the film needed some closure at least. That's a fair criticism, even if it is a trilogy. But the silly ring comment was not a fair criticism.

#15 of 43 Joe D

Joe D

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted January 12 2002 - 06:34 PM

I wish that Ebert would do more commentaries for DVD's. His commentaries for Dark City and Citizen Kane are fantastic. I would love Ebert to contribute on more upcoming releases for DVD.

I find Ebert's reviews to be hit or miss these days. Some I totally agree on, while others I don't know where he's coming from. His writing style however is fantastic, so I don't think he'll be going anywhere.

#16 of 43 Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted January 12 2002 - 06:42 PM

God forbid anyone criticize Lord of the Rings. Who does this guy think he is? A film critic?
-J.Fo

#17 of 43 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Advanced Member

• 23,177 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 12 2002 - 08:15 PM

Quote:
God forbid anyone criticize Lord of the Rings. Who does this guy think he is? A film critic?

God fordbid anyone criticize Star Wars and it's prequels or sequels.Posted Image

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#18 of 43 Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted January 12 2002 - 08:27 PM

Damn skippy, Robert!
-J.Fo

#19 of 43 Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted January 12 2002 - 08:59 PM

He needs to get rid of Ernie.. I mean Roeper.. and move to a different format of show. I don't mind a roundtable discussion of films (remember the Stanly Kubrick special they had?) but hopefully it would be better than the Leonard Maltan show where he has celebrity guests come on. Forget the celebs, just get some film critics and discuss the hell out of a movie.
"I don't remember much..... Uhhhh...."

#20 of 43 Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted January 12 2002 - 09:40 PM

Ebert is the most respected film critic around, and the fact that he is hitched to a dud like roeper isn't going to impair his career.

PS LOTR sucked.

Forum Nav Content I Follow