Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sealed Tempest opinions...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   dave shreve

dave shreve

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted January 11 2002 - 03:53 AM

I'm(still) trying to decide which direction I want to go with the DIY sub I'm planning to build. Today, I started looking at a 170 litre sealed enclosure with a Tempest and a 250W(into 4 ohm) plate amp. LspCAD seems to say that setup with equalization will net 106dB anechoic flat to 20Hz. Is this really true? I thought it took a lot more power to drive the bottom end in a sealed enclosure.

I would use the BFD to equalize it. I looked at the tech documents on the Behringer page, but they didn't answer one of my questions. Can you set an EQ band for anything less than 20Hz? I'd like to flatten it down to ~16-18Hz.

-dave

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   AjayM

AjayM

Screenwriter

• 1,227 posts

Posted January 11 2002 - 04:45 AM

That pretty much describes my setup, a sealed Tempest in a little over 170l powered with 250 watts. And I am very happy with it. It has just enough oomph to make movies fun, but doesn't shake the pictures off the walls (or let the neighbors 3 houses over think there is an earthquake). I haven't actually measured it yet in my room, but judging by LSPCad I should be getting an F3 point in the low/mid 20Hz range. And it get's plenty loud for me, but I don't ever listen at reference level, I'm usually at -15-10db or so on the dial (and the sub hasn't bottomed out yet).

As to adding EQ, in that alignment you won't have enough x-max/power to EQ the driver flat into the mid/high teens, if you check out the excursion limits in LSPCad you'll see that you are bumping on excursion limits with 250w in the 20-25 (and lower) Hz range.

Andrew

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   dave shreve

dave shreve

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted January 11 2002 - 05:50 AM

Hmm...Maelstrom seems to have the same issue. Okay, how would a 1503 respond to 250 watts with EQ to try to flatten it? I don't have anything to simulate it with(only LspCAD).

-dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users