What's new

Pink Floyd The Wall - what's best sounding CD? (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I want to purchase the best sounding CD of Pink Floyd The Wall. I just got the 1999 remaster from Columbia. Is this the best one?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lee

RicP

Screenwriter
Larry,

Sorry but that's not correct.

The best CD issue of "The Wall", as has been discussed here numerous times is the now long OOP MFSL Gold 2-CD set.

The soundstaging and quality of the dynamic range is superb. The new remaster sounds good, but falls short of the MoFi release.

Good Luck finding this one though, it's been OOP for over 10 years. EBay gets them occasionally with the usual going price of $120-180 depending on condition.

I have 9 different versions of this album on LP and CD, the MoFi Gold CD's are the best sound quality bar none.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
I have to disagree. I have listened to almost every PF CD since the 1st Dark Side cd came out in Japan in about 1985 or so & IMHO the only Mo-Fi that is still the best out there is Atom Heart Mother. The current Wall, Dark Side & Meddle discs are much more detailed than the gold discs. The AHM disc was mastered by Mo-Fi much later than the others, using their Gain II chain, which accounts for it's superiority. I cannot understand the continued infatuation with some older Mo-Fi & DCC discs that have since been re-mastered by the original record companies. In such cases, the new one is almost always superior--Ex: Elton John , Joe Jackson, Allman Brothers (except Brothers & Sisters), Steely Dan, Traffic, The Band, Creedence, Joni Mitchell, (I don't know about Blue), The Beach Boys (DCC's Endless Summer disc sounds like it was recorded in a phone booth compared to the same tracks on Capitol's new HDCD versions), & many others. In fact, it has been very rare for an older mastered gold disc to still better a recently remastered one (Ex: Brothers & Sisters, Crown Of Creation, Atom Heart Mother, all Cream except Wheels Of Fire).
OK---My flame-resistant suit is on!;)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Uh oh. After many months of authoritative posts about audiophile software, RicP has a challenger! ;)

RicP

Screenwriter
still said:
Nobody said it wasn't rare. But in the case of 'The Wall' it's the truth. The new remaster has virtually no dynamic range, it's been compressed to death. It sounds much better than the original CD release, that's for sure, but as of yet, nothing has bested the MoFi in terms of range and soundstaging. If you like things loud and crisp (which I'm assuming because of your complimenting MoFi's GAINII process) then perhaps "The Wall" remaster is the better version for you. But as far as coming closest to the what I'm assuming is the band's intention, and certainly closer to the vinyl release...the MoFi Gold is a better release.
The only tracks I've heard from "The Wall" that are better then the original MoFi UD disc are the ones on "Echoes". And they've been completely remastered again! SO it only took them 12 years to reach the level that MoFi did with their "Wall" release...not bad. ;)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks for the posts guys.
Good mention Ric P on the DSOTM Harvest pressing! ;)
It turns out I do have the OOP MoFi. It does slightly edge out the remaster I think. Still, I am surprised that the Columbia was as good as it was.
Lee

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Don't get me wrong, I've been a MoFi fan since the very beginning (since Katy Lied vinyl in 1977-I think!), but MANY of their releases have been bettered in recent years (since 20 & 24 bit mastering has arrived)
Did MoFi release some stinkers? Absolutely! BUt did they also release some gems? Some discs that still have yet to be surpassed? You bet.
I agree, we just disagree on which ones the gems are. How do you explain Music From Big Pink, Days Of Future Passed, Aja, Gaucho, Live At The Fillmore East, Eat A Peach, Surfin' USA/Surfer Girl, Night And Day---all early MoFis that I thought sounded great when they came out, but were much better on their respective remasters? Or in DCC land-Wheels Of Fire (the ONLY Cream album where the new one is better to be fair), Court And Spark (new HDCD version kills it), all Creedence CDs.
I'll even grant you The Wall (cause it seems you've anylized it much more thoroughly than I did--It's not my fav PF album), but surely you think that the new Meddle beats MoFi's. It just seems that some people (especially on E-Bay revere ANY MoFi release, and it's not like I'm putting ALL MFSL Floyds down, because AHM is much better than Capitol's re-do. Anyway, to be continued, since I have to leave work now, which is where I do this! Besides, give me a break---I'm new here

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Welcome to the forum, Larry. You have already met, RicP. He is the HTF intellectual lion, so to speak. Really not a bad guy once you get to know him. Intimidating? Certainly, but not a bad guy. :)
I am learning quite a bit from this thread, BTW.

RicP

Screenwriter
Larry,
We essentially agree so no sweat :)
I'm not a blind MoFi devotee...that's for sure. I only want the best version of my favorite albums.
The early MoFi's that you mentioned have most likely indeed been surpassed by recent remasters -- although I can only speak for 2 from personal experience -- and that's great. I'm glad that the labels are going back and starting to do these things right. It's just funny that MoFi showed them what could be done with CD 10 years ago!!
On the whole, I'd say that 80-85% of MoFI's early catalog have been usurped by newer, better remasters. But those last 15-20% are precious and highly sought after because they still are the best versions of their respective albums.
It just seems that some people (especially on E-Bay revere ANY MoFi
Absolutely! Some of the prices that EBayers pay for the name "MoFI" astounds me too!.
In fact I see them paying more for the UDII version of DSOTM than the much preferred UDI edition! Just goes to show you that you can sell anything over there. :)
Anyway, welcome to the forum Larry, I'm looking forward to more input from a fellow audiophile. :)
Jeff,
:laugh:

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I, too, am picking up a lot from this spirited discussion...thanks to RicP and Larry.

Eric.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
O.K., so we have observed something earth-shattering from this thread. Opinions vary! One person will say the MFSL version is better, while another will say the recent Columbia version is better. No big deal. I can't contribute much to this discussion, but I am entertained by it. I have the MFSL and recent Columbia versions of The Wall, but I haven't compared them in detail. I just don't take the time to compare different versions of CDs too often. I bought the Columbia remastered version simply because the MFSL discs are worth something and I don't want to abuse them. Both versions sound very good to me. By the way, I also have the original Columbia version of The Wall, and I can say that the remastered Columbia version is better.
Finally, the original MFSL version of Dark Side of the Moon is outstanding. Highly recommended. :)

MikeAW

Second Unit
Has anyone purchased the recent Japanese mini-lp issue ?

Please compare it to the burgeoning catalog, just of this one release.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
The first Columbia CD of The Wall is just awful. The first note of Comfortably Numb has a very audible and annoying pop, there's no reason to even bother comparing that release to others. I don't have the Sony remaster, but I do have the MFSL gold CD which I bought on the day it was released in the early '90s.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
This reminds me of the crazy prices The Who: Who's Next is getting just beacause its a MOFI disc. Over $150 bucks if you want one unopened.
The funny thing is that many feel the Steve Hoffman mastered Canadian version is the best sounding disc. And that version sells for less than $10!
BTW, I do have a MOFI "The Wall" and I love it.
JohnG;)

Paul D Young

Second Unit
The funny thing is that many feel the Steve Hoffman mastered Canadian version is the best sounding disc. And that version sells for less than $10!
Yes, I've been hearing about this version of Who's Next but where do I buy it and how do I know if I'm getting the right one? I really don't know.

(Sorry for changing the subject.) :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks