What's new

Did You Know What "Rosebud" Was The First Time You Saw CITIZEN KANE? (1 Viewer)

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
If you've seen the film you know what I mean. If you haven't, get out of this thread and go see this movie!!

Arguably, the greatest film of all time with a plot structure that makes "Rosebud" perhaps the ultimate movie spoiler. I imagine knowing or not knowing the significance of Kane's final word would make for two completely different viewing experiences.

I didn't see CK until I was in my mid-20's. Luckily, I didn't know what was coming and was totally blown away. So cool that the audience finds out at the end but the character representing the viewer (the reporter Thompson) and the rest of the characters never do.

How about you?

Rob

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I first saw it on television when I was a kid, so, no, I didn't have the foggiest then as to Rosebud's true nature. However, if you look at the film, you can see that Mr. Welles does provide a setup for this revelation.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I assume you mean that Rosebud is his sled
and not that Rosebud was Hearst's pet name for Marion Davies' vagina
To be honest with you it was so long ago when I first saw it, that I don't really recall, but I'm pretty certain that I knew the first of those going into the movie, but not the second.
Spolier #2 edited as per Ike's suggestion below to more unambiguous and boring medical terminology. :)

Ike

Screenwriter
More specific, George, on the second. Since people are so vague and passive with their description of the origin of the word, that forget to allude that it's an anatomical part of what you said, um...okay.

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
The surprise ending was ruined for me many years before I first saw it. If I recall correctly, it was a newspaper movie critic who spouted this out in a movie review of another movie. I guess he didn't realize that regardless of the age of the film, there are some people who may not have seen it yet.

Still, it didn't spoil my inaugural experience with this fine film.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
No, I didn't. And, yes, it blew me away. Like Rob said, the fact that the characters in the movie never found out.

And how it explains his life.

Cees

Ike

Screenwriter
George,
Your missing what I'm saying. What the real suspected rosebud is, is, well...just Link Removed the top trivia listing, then re-read my post.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Yes, I knew. But even if I hadn't, I doubt I would've cared any more than I did at the final revelation.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I didn't know, and when I found out what it was, I cried. :)

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I saw the movie for the first time when I got the DVD a few months ago, but unfortunately, I knew what Rosebud was. It had been spoiled for me countless times in TV show after TV show over the years. Thankfully, the last scene was still an incredibly powerful scene despite knowing about it prior to seeing it.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I knew beforehand that it was 'a sled'
- but I did not know anything further than that. I did not have any idea what it represented.

Of course, knowing it was a sled
made me more aware during the talks in the beginning where there is a comment about young Kane hitting his guardian with a sled. Also when Kane was taken away, and there were a long shot with his sled covered in snow followed by that depressing christmas scene with a young Kane receiving an elaborate sled made me draw conclusions that I'm positive I would have never drawn on my own if I had not known about the sled
going in.

Still, an amazing movie. I am so happy I had a chance to see this in a cinema with a decent print before seeing it on TV/VHS/DVD etc.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Ike,

I see what your saying, but I've heard it reported both ways, and while I don't doubt the story as being basically true, I don't think anybody knows for sure whether it was that specific or a bit more general. In any case, the in-joke of what Welles was doing to Hearst is what's important.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
To be honest, I can't remember if I knew or not the first time I saw the film.

Ike

Screenwriter
George,

Most people say it's what the link said it was, but thanks to vague things like Rosebud was an intimate part of...
it's gotten a little twisted. Where this rumour originated they said what I said.

God, that makes no sense at all...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Bjørn,
I will assume you didn't forget the spoiler tags on purpose. You mentioned the "secret" at least five times in your unhidden text. Seems unnecessary, anyway. This time I added the spoiler tags for you.
Don't do this again.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
It's been a long, long time. I saw the film when I was under 10 in the early 50's. My recollection is that I knew the "secret." Probably because I was focused on the frozen precipitation recreational device.
It would have been one of the few things I could relate to in the film.

Jim

MatS

Screenwriter
no I did not know that Rosebud had significant relevance in this movie, thanx for spoiling it for me. ;) j/k (somewhat)

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Cees,

I am sorry. Normally I am careful with putting in spoiler tags, and normally I use them for smallest of pieces of information regarding a movies plot. From here on I will use spoiler tags also when the thread starts with a general spoiler alert. :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks