What's new

Who's the greatest all around hockey player in the NHL? (1 Viewer)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
When I ask that I mean the greatest all around player currnetly playing. Meaning penalty killing, power play, offensive and defensive. I may be a little biased but seeing Steve Yzerman play over the last 19 years has been a one of the greatest examples of a team player I've seen.

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
Right now would be very hard to choose. I may have to go with Joe Sakic right now. As far as the future is concerned. Bet the farm now that Joe Thornton is going to be a force to be reckoned with for years to come in the next year or two. Hell, right now he is one of the best players in the league, and he's only 22. Wait till he's in his prime. It scared me to thing about it. Thankfully, he's on my team right now.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I'll have to agree with Joe Sakic but Stevie Y is very close. Of course the only reason they get the nod is because Peter Forsberg is not playing right now.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Eric Lindros has been a bigger disappointment then Alexander (the great) Daigle. Lindros was expected to be the next great player, a combo of Messier and Super Mario. Never happened and it's the NHL's loss.

Forsberg would be the choice if he was still playing but he ain't. Tough to decide between Sakic and Stevie Y but I have to go with Mr. Yzerman. Very close though.

I have to agree about Thornton. Yes, it's partly a hometown reaction but I truly believe that he's the real deal. He's an unbelievable playmaker, hits a ton when necessary and has a bit of a mean streak. 22 years old and really big. If Thornton continues to improve he will be a top three player in the league for years to come. He's currrently second in scoring.

BTW, if it was 'best player' as opposed to 'best all-around' I think that it's Roy hands down.

Denward

Supporting Actor
If you're going to pick a guy like Stevie Y (career +/- of 173) who's past his prime, then you also have consider the lifetime achievement of Messier (+214 which includes being -60 since he's gotten older and been on bad teams since he left the Rangers a few years ago). Of the current players, I think Forsberg is the man (Flyers fans love it when you say that).

RicP

Screenwriter
I gotta go with Joe Sakic on this one.

He schooled the Devils in the finals last year. The man has insane talent.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I would say Mario Lemieux and I would be correct, but he's out with the hip injury. So, how about Peter Forsberg? Oh, that's right he's taking the year off.

I'll have to go with Joe Sakic.

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
Petr Forsberg, when he is healthy. Unfortunately he is having more foot surgery and is gone for FOUR more months. No Olympics, maybe the play-offs.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I really hate it when the truly great players go down with chronic injuries. Watching Cam Neely repeatedly trying to come back from injury was almost as hard as watching his retirement press conference. A real shame.

Lemieux is the same way. Imagine if his body had been healthy all of these years. Now Forsberg has the injury problem. I hope that he's able to come back.

[sneer mode]Now if only Yashin could develop some problems. I hate to see obnoxious guys like him playing while class acts like Forsberg and Lemieux deal with chronic injuries.[end sneer mode]

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Eric Lindros has been a bigger disappointment then Alexander (the great) Daigle.
Really? How many Hart Trophies did Daigle earn before fading into obscurity? How many Cup Finals did Daigle play in?

I'm no Lindros apologist but to compare him to Daigle, who never amounted to anything, is absurd.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I would possibly go with Paul Kariya as my second choice, I think we'll see what he can do during the Olympics when he has some talent around him...

First choice... I would pick a healthy Stevie Y over anybody...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks