What's new

Finally Bought a Bike (1 Viewer)

Terry Hansen

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up a '99 Honda VFR 800FI. I was looking at a Bandit 600 and the VFR. After riding the VFR I had to have it, very civilized (compared to a pure sportsbike), more power than I'd ever need, great suspension, very comfy and that V4 sound is something else
icon14.gif
!!
------------------

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
ohh.. damm, I thought you were talking about a bike, not a bike... :) Ya know, the non-motorized kind..
congrats anyway, I just bought a bike too, a custom Seven Axiom Ti that probably costs as much as some motorized bikes but I plan to ride it forever being Ti.
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Paul Wu

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, old cyclist habbits die hard. I thought the same thing when I read the title. I also fall for the sports pages when they a rider had a good day, when they meant a horse rider. Go figure.
------------------
Paul Wu
"There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."
Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.

Jin E

Second Unit
VFR800fi? That has to be one of THE greatest bikes ever made. Of course I am a little biased
wink.gif
Here is a before and after shot of my exhaust can move.
compair3.jpg

Since I used be into mountain bike racing before I got into motorcycles I can look at a "bike" thread and be happy either way it turns out!
Small pic of my old Bicycle
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hey Jin, how'd you like those Girvin forks??? My first full suspension bike was a Proflex Beast.. Heavy as hell but was kind of fun to toss the thing around... Now I kind of ride more X-C than downhill, especially when all the real DH courses are basically ski courses here and they charge $$ to ride them which I try to avoid. I eventually sold it and bought a much better X-C duallie that I ride today. But I remember my Girvin Vector.. the thing had a lot of pivots and I had lots of problems with the MCU's but I remember changing the oil in the ODS system to something lighter.. I sold it recently to a person in Florida (where does he ride I wonder).
That's one weird handlebar... and I like your purple rims!!! :)
Jay

Jin E

Second Unit
My girvin was one of the first Pro Carbons they made. It was a fork made in a odd transitional period right after they stopped calling their linkage forks "Vectors" and changed to the 3" design. It uses the new style legs, hanger, dropouts, bushing, with the old style 2.5" travel linkage and 2.5" MCU/oil shock. Changing to a coil spring and light weight oil helped out 300%. Love the fork for XC work (a little heavy by today's standards though, and a little short on travel). I love the way it tracks and it's stiffness! Switched to a Marzocci Z3 right when it came out (around 97 if I remember correctly)... but quickly switched back to the Girvin. Guess I'm just set in my ways. The I put the bike together myself... from scratch:
-Wheeler 5900 Aluminum Frame (Easton 7005 straight gaged aluminum... stiff as HELL!!!)
-Gripshift SRT600 8 speed shifters
-DeoreDX rear Der (with Avid Rollamagig)
-DeoreLX front Der
-Wheels custom built by me using sun CRE16 rims and Sovos hubs and a 11-30 rear cassette, 3 cross
-Generic Sadle and seat post
-Profile 2024 AL handlebar
-Specialized Strongarm cranks (drop forged versions)
-Nashbar clipless
-Magura HS22 hydrolic brakes
-Profile XC Durango wraparound bar (made famous by Ned Overend!)
-Perdo's grips (and only Pedro's!)
-Kore 130mm x 10degree stem
-Specialized Team Control/s Kevlar bead front tire
-Continental XC Pro Kevlar bead rear tire
Two wheels good... 4 wheels bad! Keep the rubber side down!
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Terry Hansen

Stunt Coordinator
Guess I will have to keep my old Stumpy M2 for a couple more years :).
Jin, what kind of exhaust are you running? Did you get a kit to move it? Looks much better that way.

Jin E

Second Unit
It's a very old Two Brothers C4 round exhaust. The Sbend pipe comming from the collector is replaceable... so I bought a high mount Two Bros S-bend pipe off of a fellow lister (The VFR list group... gotta join!) and install it. At the same time I also bobbed the tail (cut down 1/2 of the 10" of black plastic hanging down from the rear end... makes a much cleaner look to the rear). I like it... it really shows off the single sided swingarm. the only problem is that I can't use my sadle bags any more! On long trips I might have to switch back (only take about 15 minutes though).
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks