Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Piano CD recommendations

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Howard_S

Howard_S

Supporting Actor

• 554 posts

Posted January 08 2002 - 11:06 PM

Any recommendations for a piano album? Classical or jazz or both if you could. Thanks.

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   James RD

James RD

Supporting Actor

• 788 posts

Posted January 09 2002 - 05:15 AM

Murray Perahia - Bach: Goldberg Variations Marcus Roberts - The Joy of Joplin

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Darren H

Darren H

Second Unit

• 449 posts

Posted January 09 2002 - 05:34 AM

A Window in Time Vols. I and II -- Rachmaninoff The most perfectly recorded piano I've ever heard.
[ long pauses ]

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,426 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted January 09 2002 - 12:00 PM

Check out "Lofty's Roach Souffle" by Harry Connick Jr.

or anything by Oscar Peterson.

Hey look, 1000 posts, cool Posted Image

"Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   MikeAW

MikeAW

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted January 09 2002 - 03:41 PM

ANYTHING by Theolonius Monk and Wynton Kelley. Herbie Hancock lost it after "Mwandishi" and he got caught up in being hip with the young white audiences...he's a sellout and I hope he saves his money from those Bose infomercials...he is completely nowhere now.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted January 09 2002 - 03:53 PM

The Dave Brubeck Quartet Time Out.
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,629 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted January 09 2002 - 04:06 PM

No jazz piano collection is complete without Bill Evans. "Portrait In Jazz" & "Conversations With Myself" are good places to start.
Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,583 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 09 2002 - 08:05 PM

I'm a big Marcus Roberts fan, too. "Joy of Joplin" is amazing (you'll never think of The Entertainer or Maple Leaf Rag in the same way again!). I suppose some ragtime purists must hate his approach though. Very exciting stuff! I also highly recommend his "Cole After Midnight."

Fred Hersch is also great. I especially like his "Plays Rodgers & Hammerstein" CD.

and I just picked up something by David Osborne--an artist I am not familiar with--called "Red, White and Blue." As you might guess, its a collection of patriotic songs, some hymns and other songs, too. Its very nice. In something of the same style as Jacqueline Schwab who plays in many of the Ken Burns documentaries.

For classical, I recommend any of Murray Perahia's Mozart Piano Concerto CDs on CBS Masterworks.

Lots of hard decisions! But fun ones! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Jaehoon Heo

Jaehoon Heo

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted January 09 2002 - 10:10 PM

If you'd like some classical music, I recommend my favorite pianist Emil Gilels. Some of his renowned recordings are : Beethoven Piano Sonata No. 8(Pathetique) No. 14(Moonlight) No. 21(Waldstein) No. 23(Appassionata) and many more.. Brahms Piano Concerto No. 1/2 Eugen Jochum, Berlin Philharmonic Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 Zubin Mehta, New York Philharmonic Pathetique/Moonlight and Waldstein/Appasionata are coupled in 2 CD's from DGG/Universal and Brahms piano concertos are also from DGG. Tchaikovsky's one is coupled with his violin concerto performed by Pinchas Zuckermann/Mehta/Israel Philharmonic and from CBS.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Howard_S

Howard_S

Supporting Actor

• 554 posts

Posted January 15 2002 - 06:07 PM

What's a really good Oscar Peterson album?

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   James RD

James RD

Supporting Actor

• 788 posts

Posted January 15 2002 - 08:14 PM

My favorite is "Oscar in Paris", a two disc live set from 1996. The CDs are in the exact sequence of the concert and it is fantastic.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Rick Deschaine

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted January 15 2002 - 11:46 PM

I highly recommend "The Studio Recordings" - Vladimir Horowitz. This was recorded near the end of his life so there may be better examples of his mastery out there; but this disc is still pretty incredible, especially for an 81 year old man. Check it out.
Why should people go out and pay to see bad movies when they can stay at home and see bad television for nothing? -Sam Goldwyn.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,583 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 16 2002 - 06:57 PM

[quote]

What's a really good Oscar Peterson album?

[quote]

Two I like a lot are:

A Jazz Portrait of Frank Sinatra

and, West Side Story.

Both of those are with the trio combo of OP, Ray Brown on bass and Ed Thigpen on drums.

Interestingly (at least to me), Oscar Peterson is responsible for the least favorite CD in my entire collection. Its called Side By Bide and is a duet album with OP and his trio coupled with Itzhak Perlman. What seems like it must have been an interesting idea on paper translates horribly musically. The two genre just don't mesh. Bought it sight unseen. Very unlistenable. I keep it in the collection to remind myself how lucky I am that I enjoy all the rest of the CDs I have.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm

Second Unit

• 484 posts
  • LocationStockholm, SWEDEN

Posted January 17 2002 - 03:13 AM

May I suggest Keith Jarrett? My personal favorite is The Koln Concert, but as he's done loads of albums I'm sure there are more great ones out there...
/Mikael

- "Do you indulge in any form of worship?"
-"Life. I love life, very much indeed."
David Bowie interviewed by Russell Harty, 1973

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   MikeAW

MikeAW

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted January 17 2002 - 04:24 AM

"Mwandishi" by Herbie Hancock...the stand alone, import only, digipak release...not necessarily the US 2Cd compilation. More compelling than the "Rock It" stuff.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Coressel

Coressel

Supporting Actor

• 668 posts

Posted January 17 2002 - 06:25 AM

I too would recommend Perahia doing the Bach Goldberg Variations on Sony Classical. And the fantastic box set of all of Beethoven's Piano Sonatas played by Richard Goode on Nonesuch is a must.

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted January 17 2002 - 06:30 AM

I'm a big fan of Chick Corea. He has several "phases" to his long career. I like the Akoustic Band cd which nabbed a grammy when it was releasd a while back. Michel Camilo is cool too. He's a pianist from the Dominican so his style is more latin/afro-cuban.
Chris Madalena

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,769 posts

Posted January 18 2002 - 12:31 AM

Depends what sort of jazz and what sort of classical. Jazz is pretty much a closed book to me, but Oscar Peterson is a safe bet for (for want of a better word) 'easy on the ear' jazz. His earlier albums are generally more virtuoso displays, though often not as well recorded. Keith Jarrett can be a little toughter on the ear. Start with something like the Koln concert - if you don't like that, then chances are you're not going to like a lot of his other stuff. If you do get into Jarrett, then probably his greatest work is the Sun Bear Concerts - a boxed set of recordings from a solo tour of Japan. In recent years, Jarrett has tended to work in a trio, covering a lot of standards (most have 'Standards' in the title). I find these unlistenable, but this is purely a personal thing, and a lot of critics find these recordings the bee's knees. Classical recordings are very thick on the ground. If you want an introduction to the various styles, try the series of 'great pianists' on the Phillips label. The whole series is *vast*, but there are a couple of sampler CDs at budget price. Generally, classical pianists fall into two categories: the virtuosos and the interpreters, and this generally reflects the repertoire they choose. The virtuosos generally go for the most technically demanding music. Good modern examples are Evgeny Kissin and Hamelin (Horowitz is another good example, but really only on his early recordings, which aren't exactly hi-fi in some cases). Try the latter on any of his recordings of the works of Alkan (a contemporary of Chopin and much much more technically demanding). Kissin's recordings are generally breathtaking (try his recording of the Moonlight Sonata), but can be murder on anything but a well set-up system. If you have a system where bass is god, but the midrange hasn't been attended to, Kissin's recordings will punish it mercilessly. The interpreters tend to emphasise interpretation rather than pianistic fireworks (though this doesn't mean they're not technically accomplished as well). Perahia is a good example (also try his 'Songs Without Words' album; incidentally, IMHO Schiff's recording of the Goldberg Variations is even better than Perahia's, good as his is), as is Maria Pires (try the Schubert improtmptus and the Chopin nocturnes).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users