What's new

Elite to rerelease Re-Animator and Night of the Living Dead! (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Elite will be rereleasing the horror classic, Re-Animator on April 2nd. It will be a 2 disc set, and will be called a Millenium Edition. NOTLD will be rereleased in March as a Millenium Edition as well, and will include ALL of the laserdisc extras and possibly more! If you want to see a rough list of the Re-Animator extras, go check them out at www.horrordvds.com I for one am quite pleased with this, because these films are two of my favorites! I will definately be rebuying them!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain

There goes Chmiel's allowance for March and April. [rant]ZING![/rant] :laugh:
Good news though.
I've been looking around for Elite's existing version of Night of the Living Dead. Good thing I haven't found one yet...now I can hold out for an even better edition. :)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone enlighten me about the NOTLD "laserdisc supplements"? How much am I missing with my current Elite NOTLD dvd?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
There goes Chmiel's allowance for March and April.
Nah, I hear he's holding out for 100 girls 2
Al Brown,
Debuting on 3/12 is Night Of The Living Dead: Millennium Edition, sporting a new 1.33:1 transfer, English Dolby Digital 5.1 and mono tracks, two audio commentary tracks with George A. Romero and the cast, the "Night Of The Living Bread" parody, "The Latent Image" featurette, scenes From the "lost" Romero film "There's Always Vanilla," video interviews with Judy Ridley and Duane Jones, two still galleries with production photos, ad materials, and props, the entire original shooting script, personal scrapbooks from the cast members, Romero-directed TV spots and short films, additional trailers and TV spots, and new liner notes by George A. Romero and Stephen King. Retail is only $24.95 for what looks to be a terrific set.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Whew! :)
...sporting a new 1.33:1 transfer...
I think the THX-approved transfer on the old disc is pretty wunnerful, but I suppose there's always room for improvement! And that is quite a raft of extras...
Looks like I'll be upgrading old versions of Juliet of the Spirits, Blue Velvet, and Night of the Living Dead over the next few months!
(I'm still not quite convinced on ALIEN!)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
SON OF A BITCH! MORE MONEY OUT THE WINDOW! :laugh:
Damn Elite. Who knows if I'll have money to buy Re-Animator, but if I sell my current NOTLD Elite DVD now, I can get the new DVD. Hopefully this new transfer will put the current THX certified transfer to shame (which will be hard to do). :)
Hopefully Elite won't delay these two titles (as they do with almost every other title).
Nah, I hear he's holding out for 100 girls 2
The correct title is 100 Women and if it follows the route as the original, we wont see it on DVD till next year. :)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Wonderful news. I was able to track both of the original releases down (and didn't pay much for them either), but these new sets seem to put them to shame. Looks like it's time to update my trade list.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I don't know the details off hand but the LD of NOTLD had a shitload of extra material that did not make it into the current dvd version.
To this day I still consider the Elite Collector's Edition of Night of the Living Dead, to be the single greatest special edition ever made on any video format. And now Elite is saying that not only will the upcomming dvd have everything that was on the LD but that it will have even more!!! :)
I will still hang onto my Laserdisc copy as The mono soundtrack sounds fantastic in uncompressed PCM audio:emoji_thumbsup:

Lannie Lorence

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew, I'd wait before selling that NOTLD disc. Elite has been going downhill lately, and you wouldn't want to get stuck with a worse disc. The supplements will probably be all there, but it's all about the movie itself for me.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Wow I just about to order these 2 online until I read the thread. Good think I come to htf religiously. Can't wait for these.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
DAMNIT! I just bought Re-Animator in November for upwards of $27...
click..click..click..
... that is the sound of Re-Animator discs hitting EBAY ;)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I seriously doubt that the new Elite NOTLD disc will suck. Their version of that film has been a cash cow for them. I do wonder, however, if a new digital master will be made for the film. Was the old version the same master as was on the laserdisc? It looked pretty good, but I wonder what a new one would look like, using today's superior telecine and compression methods? The only supplement from the LD that I missed on the DVD was the Duane Jones interview. The scenes from THERE'S ALWAYS VANILLA just proved to me why it is a "lost" film. P.U. I can smell the pretentiousness and bad acting from here.
On a slightly related topic. I went to my library yesterday to check out DVD's and found that they had purchased the 30th Anniversary Ass-Rape Version of NOTLD instead of the Elite version because it was cheaper. After throwing up, I also noticed that they had decided to purchase JPIII in fullscreen. :frowning:

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I'm not disposing of my NOTLD DVD just yet. Recall, the original transfer was done with the perfectionist sensibilities of Don May Jr, who is no longer with the company (instead running things his own perfectionist way with Synapse DVD). The guys who remain at Elite seem to know and/or care little about proper presentation (witness the unspeakably godawful Masterworks of German Horror and Drive-In DVDs). It might be great. But I sure as hell wouldn't count on it. After those two sub-Madacy abortions, I've steered far clear of Elite and its offerings.

It sure would be nice to have this in a case that wasn't one of those Polydor "Guaranteed-to-scratch" jobbers, though!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I completely agree!

And it's funny - under any other circumstances, I'd scoff at any newer, better special edition (to replace a previous special edition) that didn't come with a sparkling new transfer.

But, in this instance, everything sounds great except maybe the new transfer! I mean, presumably, it'll be an improvement. On the other hand, everything you just said...

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news on Re-Animator. I never bought the old edition as rumors of a souped up one have been floating around for a long time. Not sure on Night, I guess I'll wait for reviews, I'm not sure much quality is being added to the extras.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
To be honest, I'm dubious that there'll be a new transfer on NOTLD.
All details I saw of the Dr. Strangelove SE re-release in February of last year kept stating a new transfer would be on the disc - and there wasn't one.
There's generally little point for companies to re-do transfers unless to make them anamorphic (Boogie Nights is literally the only example I can think of where the new transfer was made to replace the "old" high-definition one, and then only because PT Anderson wanted the DVD his way).
And since George A. Romero is contributing new materials for the disc (liner notes, stills, etc), I'd be very surprised if it came with an inferior new transfer without his seal of approval.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Damn, that is a cool cover, and I don't even usually care about such things. :D
Thanks for the link.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Now that's a cover to be proud of. May be in the running with Robocop : Criterion and The Rock : Criterion for best original cover.

Me, I have to have this edition. It sounds like the dream reissue of an existing excellent disc.

Q: Does the new 5.1 mix contain new sound elements, or was it created from the original sound elements? And is the transfer the same as your previous, now out-of-print release?
A: It is the same gorgeous transfer that was done for our LD release but with a new approval from THX (which means a bit of tweaking here & there) and a much higher bit rate than the original DVD. This one is a DVD 9 (Dual layer).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks