Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sound Fields on Sony Receivers (STR-DE575 specifically))

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Todd K

Todd K

Second Unit

• 479 posts

Posted January 08 2002 - 07:19 AM

I have the STR-K502S, which I believe is the same as the STR-DE575, with maybe the exception of s-video inputs.

But anyways, this question might apply to all Sony receivers.

Is there any way to get the surround speakers to play as if they were front speakers? In other words, say you were listening to a 2-channel music CD, and you wanted the left channel to be played out of both front and rear left speakers (and obviously the right channel out of both right speakers). Is this possible? Right now the only way I know how to activate the rears is if they are used for surround sound.

Regards,

Todd

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,548 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 08 2002 - 07:43 AM

No. Sony does not have an "all channel" stereo function. The only way to do it would be to hook the rears to the "B" speaker position (if that model has A-B hookups) and run both A+B on the selector.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Todd K

Todd K

Second Unit

• 479 posts

Posted January 09 2002 - 01:45 AM

Bummer for me, but thanks for providing some closure.

T.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted January 09 2002 - 08:58 PM

Quote:
The only way to do it would be to hook the rears to the "B" speaker position (if that model has A-B hookups) and run both A+B on the selector.

That model doesn't have an A-B speaker switch. In fact, NONE of Sony's new models do, even their their flagship ES line. I'm still kind of shocked.....

With that model it's pretty much impossible to do what you want to do, unfortunately. Posted Image

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,548 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted January 10 2002 - 03:36 AM

I don't really see a need for A+B speakers anymore, so I guess that is why it is no longer a feature. (I never used it on my old Sony)
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein