What's new

International Pre '90's catalog on blu ray - A comprehensive Region B & C list (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Apparently this was more or less attempted at the same time Brandon started his list for Region A films on blu ray. This compilation will take some time to become current but I hope to keep it going and any additional information or help is welcome as I am certain that I will miss titles. An asterisk will denote that it is region free.

* Denotes Region free

Releases

1901 - 1929

Dr. Mabuse, Der Spier -Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler- (1922) (Eureka) U.K.

Frau Im Mond -Woman In The Moon- (1929) (Eureka) U.K.

1930 - 1939

Ruggles Of Red Gap (1935) (Eureka) U.K.

Tabu: A Story Of The South Seas (1931) (Eureka) U.K.

1940 - 1949

Cobra Woman -Die Schlangenpriesterin- (1944) (Alive) Germany

The Gangs All Here (1943) (Eureka)

The Fallen Idol (1948) (CMG) France / (Studio Canal) U.K.

The Lost Weekend (1949) (Eureka) U.K.

The Murderer Lives At 21 -L'Assassin Habite,,,,Au 21- (1942) (Eureka) U.K./ (Pony Canyon) Japan

Western Union (1941) (Koch Media) Digibook

Yellow Sky (1948) (Odeon) U.K. / -Herrin Der Toten Stadt- (Koch Media) Germany Digibook

1950 - 1959

The Conqueror -Der Eroberer- (1956) (Koch Media Germany / -Il Conquistatore- (Cult Video) Italy / -El Conquistador De Mongolia- (Resen) Spain / -Erobreren- (Soul Media) Denmark / -Erovraren- (Soul Media) Sweden.

Bakumatsu Taiyo-Den -A Sun-Tribe Myth From The Bakumatsu Era- (1957) (Eureka) U.K./ -Bakumatsu Taiyoden- (Happinet) Japan

Floating Weeds -Ukigusa- (1959) (Eureka) U.K.

The Glenn Miller Story (1954) (Koch Media) Germany

Gun For A Coward - Shieb Oder Strib - (1957) (Koch Media) Germany Release date January 28,2016 (Digibook)

Gunman's Walk - Duell Im Morgengrauen- (1958) (Explosive Media) Germany.

Il Bidone -The Swindler- (1955) (Eureka) U.K.

La Signora Senza Camelie - The Lady Without Camelias- (1953) (Eureka) U.K.

Legend Of The Lost -Stadt Der Verlorenen- (1957) (Koch Media) German

The Long Hot Summer -Der Lange Heibe Sommer- (1957) (Koch Media) Germany / - Les Feuxde de L'ete- (Fimedia) France

The Tarnished Angels (1957) (Eureka) U.K /. (Koch Media) Germany / (Elephant Films) France / (Resen) Spain.

A Time To Love and a Time To Die (1957) (Eureka) U.K. / -Zeit Zu Leben und Zeit Zu Sterben- (HanseSound) Germany / Le Temps D'aimer Et Le Temps Mourir- (Elephant Films) France / -Tiempo De Amer,Tiemp De Morir- (Resen) Spain..

Two Flags West -Vorposten In Wildwest- (1950) (Koch Media) Germany Digibook

Ugetsu Monogatari / Oyu-Sama (1953) (Eureka) U.K. Two films

War Arrow -Verschworung Auf Fort Clark- (1953) (Koch Media) Germany Digibook

1960 - 1969

Accattone (1961) (Eureka) U.K.

Bandolero (1968) (Explosive Media) Gremany / France / (Shock) Australia

Billy Liar (1963) (Studio Canal) U.K. / John Schlesinger Trilogy (Studio Canal) France - along with Darling & A Kind Of Loving

The Cardinal -Der Kardinal- (1963) (Concorde Video) Germany

The Devil's Brigade (1968) (Shock) Australia / (Filmedia) France / (Soul Media) Denmark / Finland / Sweden

Five Weeks In A Balloon -Funf Wochen Im Ballon- (1962) (Koch Media) Germany

The Insect woman / Nishi-Ginza Station Two films (1963) (Eureka) U.K (*) / -La Femme Insecte- (Elephant Films) France Also part of the Shohei Imamura Masterpiece Collection (*)

Lonely Are The Brave -Einsam Sind Die Tapferen- (1962) (Koch Media) Germany Digibook

Midnight Lace -Mitternachtsspitzen- (1960) (Universum Film) Germany / (Shock) Australia

The Naked Island -Hadaka No Shima- (1960) (Eureka) U.K.

Pigs and Battleships / Stolen Desire -Buta To Gunkan / Nusumareta Yokujo- (1961) (Eureka) U.K.

Play Dirty (1969) (101 Films) U.K. / - Enfants De Salauds - (Sidonis) France / -Mercenarios Sin Gloria- (Llamentol) Spain

Seven Thieves -Sieben Diebe- (1961) (Koch Media) Germany Release date January 16, 2016

The Warlord (1965) (Eureka) U.K / -Die Normannen Kommen- Germany / -Le Seigneur De La Guerre- (Sidonis) France /

-El Senoir De La Guerra- (Resen) Spain

The Way West -Der Weg Nach Westen- (1967) (Koch Media) Germany / -La Route De L'Ouest- (Sidonis) France

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
* Denotes Region free

1970 - 1979

The Hindenburg (1975) (Koch Media) Germany

La Planete Sauvage -Fantastic Planet- (1973) (Eureka) U.K. / (Arte Video) France / (Kadokawa Entertainment) Japan

Punishment Park (1971) (Eureka) U.K. / -Strafpark- (Euro Video) Germany

1980 - 1989

Rumble Fish (1983) (Eureka) U.K.

Runaway (1984) (Koch Media) Gernany

White Dog (1982) (Eureka) U.K.

Windwalker (1981) (Alive) Germany

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
If anyone notices an accidental listing of an unauthorized or bootleg version please let me know - I noticed a good number of titles from Spain but want to be sure before listing them, pretty well all of them are available else where.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Hoping this thread generates interest and we can consolidate what is currently available along with announced upcoming titles. As mentioned, this will take awhile to compile. Let me know if the layout is acceptable, especially concerning those releases that are available in more than one country. I have tried to include the spelling as found on the covers to make it easier for those ordering from foreign speaking sources - it often helps when doing a title search.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Any particular reason I am unable to edit all of a sudden? I don't mind if someone else would prefer to do this, I was in the middle of adding some titles when I was unable to finish. Oh well!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Brent Avery said:
Any particular reason I am unable to edit all of a sudden? I don't mind if someone else would prefer to do this, I was in the middle of adding some titles when I was unable to finish. Oh well!
I think you can only edit posts within a given timeframe....after that only mods/admins can edit posts.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
That pretty well answers my question - never thought that was going to be an issue, I wonder if it is possible to keep it open somehow?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
These are the titles I own or know about. They may be available in other countries as well

Sabotage 1936 - UK ‘B’ Network
Young And Innocent 1937 - UK ‘B’ Network

49th Parallel 1941 - France ‘B’ ITV

The Gang’s All Here 1943 - UK ‘B’ Eureka MOC
Lifeboat 1944 - UK ‘B' Eureka MOC
Great Expectations 1946 - UK region free ITV

Daddy Long Legs 1955 - Spain ‘B’ Resen

The Day The Earth Caught Fire 1961 - UK 'B' BFI

The Three Musketeers 1974 - UK region free Studio Canal
The Four Musketeers 1975 - UK region free Studio Canal

Gregory’s Girl 1980 - UK region free Second Sight
Remo Williams 1985 - UK ‘B’ Arrow

Feel free to insert them into your decades listing.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Here are some pre-1990 titles released overseas that I can confirm are Region Free:

The Devil's Brigade (Shock-Australia)

Bandolero! (Shock-Australia)

Lifeboat (Shock-Australia)

Judgment at Nuremberg (Shock-Australia)

Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Shock-Australia)

Tobruk (Odeon-UK)

Witness for the Prosecution (Umbrella-Australia)

A Study in Terror (Odeon-UK)

Audrey Hepburn Blu-ray Collection (Breakfast at Tiffany's / Funny Face / Sabrina) (Paramount-UK)

Zulu (Paramount-UK)

Exodus (Shock-Australia)

Oliver! (Sony-UK)

The Third Man (4k Restoration, StudioCanal UK)

Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (Saboteur / Shadow of a Doubt / Rope / Rear Window / The Trouble with Harry / The Man Who Knew Too Much / Vertigo / Psycho / The Birds / Marnie / Torn Curtain / Topaz / Frenzy / Family Plot Universal UK)

Universal Monsters: The Essential Collection )Dracula / Drácula / Frankenstein / Bride of Frankenstein / The Wolf Man / The Mummy / The Invisible Man / Phantom of the Opera / Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D/ Universal-UK)

Destry Rides Again (Koch Media Germany)

Western Union (Koch Media Germany)

Where Eagles Dare (Warners UK)

The Green Berets (Warners UK)

The War Wagon (Universal UK)

Runaway (Explosive Media- Germany)

When A Stranger Call (Explosive Media - Germany)

Moby Dick (Shock- Australia)

12 Angry Men (Shock-Australia)

Midnight Lace (Shock-Australia)

Doctor Dolittle (Shock-Australia)

The Boston Strangler (Shock- Australia)

Fahrenheit 451 (Koch Media- Germany)

Lonely are the Brave (Koch Media- Germany)

The Agatha Christie Mystery Collection (Murder on the Orient Express / Death on the Nile / The Mirror Crack'd / Evil Under the Sun) (Universal-Italy)

The Enemy Below (Fox-Japan- Region A)

Cross of Iron (Universal- Japan- Region A)

The Three Musketeers (Optimum Home Entertainment- UK)

The Four Musketeers (Optimum Home Entertainment- UK)

The Lavender Hill Mob (Optimum Home Entertainment- UK)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I just received The Dam Busters (1954), Studio Canal (U.K.). It isn't region-free but it plays on a Panasonic BD player using the Stop-Menu workaround. The picture quality is excellent.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
If Brent can edit, I'm sure there's a lot of titles to add. I can only think of two right now, 55 Days At Peking UK/Germany/France (but I think it's deleted in France), & The Lost World 1960 UK/France. Oh, & France they have, The Son Of Frankenstein & Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman & The House Of Dracula (in Feb).

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Although the topic is dealing with German Blu Rays, I feel that this may be a good place to talk about a few Spanish blu rays I received in the post yesterday.

First, the good news:

BEAU GESTE (1939,William Wellman)- Terrific transfer. Sharp. Seemingly a flawless print from the sequences I have looked at

CAPTAIN LIGHTFOOT (1955, Douglas Sirk)- as above. Vivid color. Far superior to the Spanish and Australian LBX versions on SD which I have.

MOULIN ROUGE (1952, John Huston). Not quite as good as LIGHTFOOT, but this Academy-ratio biopic of Toulouse Lautrec starring Jose Ferrer in two roles (on his knees as Toulouse and standing up fully as his father in a brief flashback scene) shot in 3-strip Technicolor, looks much better than it did on SD. Probably preserved on Eastman stock or non-nitrate negatives of some description and-as far as I know- un-restored as the Ted Turner library was. Thus the color and clarity are not all they no doubt once were. Still, a worthwhile upgrade.

Then the bad:

SAYONARA (1957,Joshua Logan, ) Horrible transfer. Possibly the worst I have yet seen. Akin to a VHS tape. My non-anamorphic LBX SD is superior to it. May be BD-R. A "must-avoid". I have a new coaster now. Pity, the movie is good.

In March I will receive the following from Spain and report:

THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER, DEADLINE USA, LUST FOR LIFE, TWO FLAGS WEST (all blu rays) and an SD, THREE FROM TEXAS

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
lionel59 said:
Although the topic is dealing with German Blu Rays, I feel that this may be a good place to talk about a few Spanish blu rays I received in the post yesterday.
First, the good news:
BEAU GESTE (1939,William Wellman)- Terrific transfer. Sharp. Seemingly a flawless print from the sequences I have looked at
CAPTAIN LIGHTFOOT (1955, Douglas Sirk)- as above. Vivid color. Far superior to the Spanish and Australian LBX versions on SD which I have.
MOULIN ROUGE (1952, John Huston). Not quite as good as LIGHTFOOT, but this Academy-ratio biopic of Toulouse Lautrec starring Jose Ferrer in two roles (on his knees as Toulouse and standing up fully as his father in a brief flashback scene) shot in 3-strip Technicolor, looks much better than it did on SD. Probably preserved on Eastman stock or non-nitrate negatives of some description and-as far as I know- un-restored as the Ted Turner library was. Thus the color and clarity are not all they no doubt once were. Still, a worthwhile upgrade.
Then the bad:
SAYONARA (1957,Joshua Logan, ) Horrible transfer. Possibly the worst I have yet seen. Akin to a VHS tape. My non-anamorphic LBX SD is superior to it. May be BD-R. A "must-avoid". I have a new coaster now. Pity, the movie is good.
THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER, DEADLINE USA, LUST FOR LIFE, TWO FLAGS WEST (all blu rays) and an SD, THREE FROM TEXAS
Great to here about Beau Geste....and its region free as well per Amazon UK (the back cover says Region A, B, C). About 20 euros!

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
lionel59 said:
First, the good news:
Then the bad:
Lionel (or Michael?), Happy New Year from here in WA (and to all here).

Thanks for sharing this info. A word of caution re Spanish titles. The laxity of copyright laws, coupled with virtually zero enforcement against infringements has made that market unreliable at best. A thread was dedicated to this not so long ago, started by Brent Reid, I recall.

I certainly don't want to restart that whole debate here, but just sounding out a word of caution to tread carefully and do as much research as possible on the individual titles and distributors beforehand.

[Edit: Here's Brent Reid's thread on the subject:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/342646-pirate-and-bootleg-blu-raydvd-documentation/#entry4284271

]

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
turtledove said:
I try to avoid Spanish Blurays as it seems that outside the Hollywood majors much of the product from independent labels is bootleg- often very good bootleg and not always on BDR
Same here! This forum's management is leery of Blu-ray releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks