What's new

Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs Signature Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

81Chln2vO6L._SX522_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll assume this means that no content details are known? What extras are included (or more likely excluded) compared to the 1st release, possible
new transfer compared to the 2009 BD release getting ready for 4K

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My only concern is how much of the film's original intent has been preserved in this new release?

By that, I am inferring to the reports that many of Disney Classic Animation films have been made to look "pretty" rather than authentic.

I am not saying that report is completely true, but it has been said that John Lassiter has a preference to the way these films should look on home release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
My only concern is how much of the film's original intent has been preserved in this new release?

By that, I am inferring to the reports that many of Disney Classic Animation films have been made to look "pretty" rather than authentic.

I am not saying that report is completely true, but it has been said that John Lassiter has a preference to the way these films should look on home release.
Since Lasseter came up with Disney from college back in 1979, let's hope he has an affinity for preserving film history.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I don't think this would be any different from the previous release.

it will be the same version, with just less extras and maybe a few pop songs in it.

Pity, it would be great if this signature series featured FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER in HD, the original scans from the negatives with grain, without any tampering..

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Konstantinos said:
Pity, it would be great if this signature series featured FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER in HD, the original scans from the negatives with grain, without any tampering..

My point exactly.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Whoever this Lasseter fellow is, I hope he doesn't think that "Snow White" is somehow going to become better by becoming different from what it originally was and is.

"Snow White" has been selling just fine as she is; and hopefully he won't Dwarf it down from its original genius.

Hopefully, Lasseter will learn from recent history and take the cue from the lessons learned with "My Fair Lady" and "Spartacus".

No BD is better if it strays from its true source.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
warnerbro said:
Why should we buy this? And why is the price so high? What's new here? Mr. Harris? Robert Siegel? Anyone?
These are released every few years for a limited time and going back to the vault and become OOP.

The main target audience of these Blurays are the ones that missed it the previous time.

Sleeping Beauty was released twice on Bluray, and it was the exact same transfer.

(the 2nd release just had less extras).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TravisR said:
Now that Aladdin has been released, Disney had gone through their classics so it's all re-releases of existing transfers of the same movies from here on out.
If that's true for this title then I won't buy it a second time which is probably the case for most of us here.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Konstantinos said:
There are some still missing:

Make Mine Music

Melody Time

Saludos Amigos

The Three Caballeros

The Black Cauldron
Yeah but I'm talking about the BIG titles. I like all of those movies but it's unlikely that they're going to be the fall/holiday release or that they'd buy TV ad time for them like they have with the original release of Snow White or Cinderella or The Lion King, etc.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Dont know why I didn't find this thread when I went to post this one. Thanks for pointing it out, Ron.

Anyway, some extras information here:

http://movies.disney.com/snow-white-and-the-seven-dwarfs

That being said, given that they already re-released Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray, I think it's fair to make assumptions about this re-release from that one. Mainly: it will probably be the same transfer as the Diamond Edition, with a few new extras, but not much, and probably some of the original extras dropped. The original Blu-ray was a 2-disc set (plus the DVD), and this one will probably drop the bonus Blu-ray disc, again if Sleeping Beauty's re-release is any indication. I'll keep my original copy, although I do think the new cover is nicer than the old one.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Maybe it's not the place, but I thought to post this with which I completely agree:
[SIZE=100%]What bothers me most is the technique of separating the characters from the backgrounds in order to remove grain and lighting inconsistencies (see 2nd disc of "Sleeping Beauty"). This results in a CG-compositing look that draws attention to the absolute rigor of the backgrounds. As the ever changing grain rightfully may be seen as a flaw inherent to the medium, it nevertheless helped to keep the image alive. Without the grain, the characters' color areas are even flatter looking and the movie seems to freeze whenever a cel is held for several frames (quite often in "Dalmatians"). This ultimately draws our attention to the artificiality of the animation instead of letting us engage with the story.[/SIZE]
http://colorfulanimationexpressions.blogspot.gr/2008/06/thinking-about-digital-restoration-of.html

A friend of mine often complains how bad Disney animation films look to him now, but he can't accept that large part of this is due to the absence of grain and those shadows and paint strokes of the animators that are now gone.

The thing is this:

OK, I understand that 95% of the customers of these Blurays are casual viewers that don't want any grain in their animation films and want a crystal clear picture.

Great so far. They got their preferred version.

Why Disney can't release another version too for the remaining 5% that would like to see these films as they were first projected at the theater?

Why recycling the same transfer over and over and over again?

There are other studios that release 2 or more versions when one is tampered with.

it would be a dream come true for me to see these animation films in the way Criterion presented Watership Down, or Universal presented The Land before time!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Happy to see this re-released as I missed all the Disney Animated Blu's before 2013. I had heard Pinnochio was going to be re-issued next, I hope that one is next since that one is my favorite.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Happy to see this....but I am among those that would like to see the those unreleased titles on blu.....such as MELODY TIME and MAKE MINE MUSIC,,,,with all parts included. (or maybe the P.C. version and the Adult version on the same disc...then we could choose how decadent we wish to be) Then Disney could start reissuing. There has got to be some money in those titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks