What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

The modern Mission Impossible formula still works beautifully, five films in.  Possibly better than the Bonds, especially after Mr. Connery left the series.

The latest, with a reported 150MM budget, shows every penny on screen, and director Christopher McQuarrie moves the film along at a breakneck pace for its over two-hour running time.

One must hand it to Tom Cruise, with that same Risky Business / All the Right Moves smile intact, as he carries the film flawlessly.  It's hard to believe, he's been at this for 35 years.

And now he continues doing his own stunts.  

Real stunts.  Dangerous stunts.  

See the included extra on that one.

It often comes into play, for example, with Spartacus, that the noble Romans are British actors, while the slaves are generally from the Colonies.

Here, it comes down to cars.

The good guys drive BMWs.

The bad guys are pushing Mercedes-Benz.  While the latest seem quite nice, you really need to go back to the 1930s to see those special long wheelbase elegant brutes, such as those you'll find in Triumph of the Will.  

Just gorgeous motoring machines.

As a Blu-ray disc, MI5 is perfect, and it should be, as it's from data files.  Shot on 35mm film, with effects plates taken with an Alexa 65, the entire show was finished at 2k.

In a 4k up-rez, those files look fantastic.

A wonderfully entertaining film, and a reference quality Blu-ray.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Thanks for your review. I enjoyed the film and looking forward to the blu-ray. I didn't think the cinematography was as good as the previous film (not as clean looking - not a technical term!) perhaps because the IMAX scenes stood out. Excellent entertainment value though.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I have seen this in Dolby Vision and it looked and sounded good, but the 2K resolution was the quality bottleneck. 2K was not enough in that Dolby Vision cinema with a huge screen about a screen height away. 4K would have been much nicer for sure.

P

Patrick Donahue

As goofy as Cruise can be, the man puts out a fine product with all of his films, and for that he gets my admiration and dollars.

I agree that, for me, the M:I films have topped the Bond films for entertainment value. Ethan Hunt is that kind of character kids pretend to be. James Bond has turned into somebody I'm glad I'm not.

Bring on the blu.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I loved this one at the theater, and it will be featured in a movie night around the holidays.

Is there a commentary track by any chance?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Race Bannon said:
I loved this one at the theater, and it will be featured in a movie night around the holidays.

Is there a commentary track by any chance?

Yes, commentary from Tom Cruise and director/screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks