What's new

Need Help Determining What Cables To Run For Home Theater (1 Viewer)

jalbring

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Greetings. I'm currently framing my basement and plan on having a bar and home theater. I'm looking for any guidance/suggestions on both the components (need to purchase all of them) and the cables/wires I should rough-in (i.e. HDMI, CAT6....). I've attached a sketch showing the basic layout along with the intended location of the AV rack. Thanks in advance for your help.

I would have to mount the rear speakers in/on the ceiling, for I only have one side wall as the other side is open to the rest of the basement. I am also throwing around an option to install (2) speakers in the Bar Area, mainly for listening to music.

View attachment MX-2700N_20151125_100604.pdf

Jason

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What sources will you be watching? Blu-rays - then you need a Blu-ray player. That means you need at least 1 HDMI cable. What about streaming? What box do you like for that? I like my Roku but there are dozens of options. Radio? Other sources like satellite, cable, CD, cassette, records, mini-disc, DAT, laser disc?

With your AV equipment in the back of the room, you need speaker wire to run to all of the speakers. You will use your AV receiver as the video switching hub and that means at least 1 HDMI cable from the rack to the projector. From there, you need the appropriate cables to connect source components to the receiver.

I have a similar setup with equipment in the back and a projector. I also have a DVD player, Blu-ray player, Roku, XM and 2 DirecTV satellite receivers as my sources. I download a lot of concerts so I store them on a NAS drive and stream them through my Roku. I have a single cat-5 from my router to the room and an 8 port switch. The switch is connected to my Blu-ray, Roku, NAS and until just recently a slingbox type device.

You mentioned additional speakers at the bar, you should probably treat that as a 2nd zone and get a dual zone AV receiver. You didn't mention subs so I have to ask what type is on your short list? I run passive subs but keep my amp near the sub. Same wiring as an active sub but I did need a 20amp outlet to plug my amplifier into.

Other things to consider - I use external amps to power my front 3 speakers. They are also in the equipment rack. Crown XLS-1000 amps. With the equipment behind you, you should consider an RF Harmony remote. My room is smaller so I use an IR Harmony and bounce the signal off my screen. Works about 90% of the time.

Basically, think some more and come back to us with more details.

jalbring

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Robert-

Thanks a million for getting back with me so quickly. Below are some answers to your questions. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sources... for now. Directv, Blu-Ray, I'm not familiar with Roku just yet, but possibly this or Netflix at some point. As far as music, I currently use Pandora and Spotify but would like the option of playing some music off a USB. Also, some sort of gaming station at some point as well.

I'm not that tech savvy, so not sure on the subs. I planned on just getting a 7,1 channel set with a sub, and use two of them in the bar, and probably purchase a separate sub for the bar.

Questions:

Why the external amp for your front speakers and where do you download the concerts. I'm all about the concerts!

Why a DVD and Blu-Ray

Is the CAT 5 the only connection you need from the router to the components you listed?

So for cable/wires to rough-in, so I can drywall, I need (1) hdmi from my rack to the projector, speaker wires of course, RCA cables from rack location to subwoofer locations and (1) CAT 5 to rack from router? I don't have a router yet, would it make sense to locate this in the rack as well?

Thanks again

Jason

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Roku is a device. Netflix is a service provided on many devices. Including most smart BD players.

Robert, like me, has a basic BD player just for movies. His DVD player(like mine) is better at playing DVD than his BD player. My DVD player also plays SACD/DVD-A.

"2nd sub in the bar" will take an AVR with that capability. That capability is $2000 and up. Just...for the AVR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks