What's new

3D What happened to Star Wars Episodes 1-3 in 3D? (1 Viewer)

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Well there is no hiding from the Star Wars marketing blitz and with all the current reissues of the past Star Wars films on the shelves the absence of any blu-ray 3D titles is glaring, at least to me. I remember a lot of talk back when the D23 Expo showed all the prequels in 3D that these would be showing up on blu-ray once Star Wars mania hit prior to the release of the new film. Well here we are with the shelves full of Star Wars everything but no 3D special editions in sight. Has anyone heard any news about this or as this is coming from the mouse house is the project as dead as Disney3D. It's great that the new film has been converted (save the anti-conversion rants please) and I can't wait to see it but I'm still waiting to hear prequel 3D news too.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Attack Of The Clones and Revenge Of The Sith both played at Star Wars Celebration(s) so the conversions were completed for the prequels. A popular theory is that Disney is waiting to release Star Wars on video until they get the distribution rights back from Fox in 2020 so maybe they'll release the prequels in 3-D then too?

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
TravisR said:
A popular theory is that Disney is waiting to release Star Wars on video until they get the distribution rights back from Fox in 2020 so maybe they'll release the prequels in 3-D then too?

I sure hope so as I would like to add these to my collection. I'm glad Lucasfilm, like Marvel, are opting for 3d releases. However with Disney being the parent company I get very nervous as their track record on 3D blu-ray release at Disney Home Video is the pits.

uVSthem

Agent
Real Name
uVSthem
TravisR said:
A popular theory is that Disney is waiting to release Star Wars on video until they get the distribution rights back from Fox in 2020 so maybe they'll release the prequels in 3-D then too?
Does Disney getting distribution rights back count for all the other stuck such as The Ewok movies, Clone Wars. Maybe Disney can put out the Holiday Special in 2020?!?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
uVSthem said:
Does Disney getting distribution rights back count for all the other stuck such as The Ewok movies, Clone Wars. Maybe Disney can put out the Holiday Special in 2020?!?
I would imagine so - I think the only thing Fox owns outright is A New Hope, and everything else is owned Lucasfilm but distributed through Fox (or in the case of Clone Wars, Warner). For example, the first five seasons of Clone Wars, which came out before Lucasfilm was sold to Disney, are on disc from Warner. The sixth season, which came out after the deal, is on disc from Disney.

uVSthem

Agent
Real Name
uVSthem
They own just the theatrical cut of A New Hope or does that also include every revision of it released afterwards?

Josh Steinberg said:
I would imagine so - I think the only thing Fox owns outright is A New Hope, and everything else is owned Lucasfilm but distributed through Fox

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Fox doesn't own the original. Lucasfilm (now, Disney) has the copyright to the film itself, but Fox has distribution rights in perpetuity.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't think that's correct. I believe that at the moment:

- Fox owns "A New Hope", and controls all related rights.
- Lucasfilm owns the other five films.
- Fox has physical media rights on the other five films until about 2019.
- Lucasfilm has digital media rights on the other five films currently.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I believe Fox gave Lucas control of the first film in exchange for distribution rights to the sequels, and perpetual distribution rights to the original Star Wars.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/apr/03/business/fi-35475

Though executives from Fox and Lucas' San Rafael, Calif.-based Lucasfilm Ltd. declined to elaborate on most specifics of the deal, one source hinted that in exchange for a much-lower-than-usual (likely less than 10%) distribution fee on the films plus the rights to debut "Episode I" on its Fox TV network, Fox gave Lucas the rights to the original "Star Wars," making his empire complete.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Twentieth_Century_Fox_Film_Corporation

Despite The Walt Disney Company's 2012 purchase ofLucasfilm Ltd. and the release rights to all future Star Warsfilms, Fox still retains original distribution rights to Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope "in perpetuity" in all media worldwide. Fox also retains theatrical, nontheatrical, and home video rights worldwide for the franchise's five subsequent films through May 2020, at which time ownership will transfer to Disney. This complex relationship between Fox and Disney, particularly in regards to Fox's perpetual rights to Episode IV, creates an obstacle for any future boxed set comprising all nine films.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I realize this was written by a Wikipedia contributor but I just found it funny when they said:
This complex relationship between Fox and Disney, particularly in regards to Fox's perpetual rights to Episode IV, creates an obstacle for any future boxed set comprising all nine films.

Yeah, if Fox decides they don't like money any more, that would be an obstacle to a 9 movie set. The 'complex relationship' basically boils down to that Disney will tell Fox they want to release a box set and Fox will cash the checks when they come in. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks