What's new

Game of Thrones Season Six (2016) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Came across this poster from HBO, promoting the new season of Game of Thrones, premiering in April 2016. The poster could include a spoiler, but if HBO feels strongly enough to advertise this five months before the season, it can't be that much of a surprise. This image is official, by the way -- it comes from Game of Thrones' Facebook page.

Game of Thrones Season Six.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It almost feels like HBO's giving the game away now; I highlly doubt they'd make Jon Snow the face of the promotional campaign for the upcoming season if he were going to stay dead.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Love this show. Had never seen it and was going to just step into the new season and see if I could catch up. Somebody on this forum advised against it, saying start at the beginning.

Luckily HBO started a marathon viewing session, all five seasons showing since Saturday. Finishing up season five today. Glad they did it, very impressed with it and looking forward to season six.

As many people have told me, don't get to attached to your favorite characters, good ​or evil, they're very expendable in this series. I'm just so glad that pompous little King Joffrey got zapped, others have been a little more shocking and unexpected.

My favorite death was the aunt through the "Moon Door", exactly what she deserved. :D

Sorry for no spoilers, but I'm talking about stuff a year, two, maybe more in the past.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I recently saw the entire series, so far, since I did not previously have HBO. Talking with others and reading current news releases I know that there is a lot of speculation in regards to Jon Snow's parentage. Most of the discussion centered around his mother, but I am wondering about his father. From what I am gathering Jon's mother is, more than likely, Eddard Stark's sister Lyanna. The thought I have now is who is his father?

I am currently re-watching the entire series on blu ray, and I have come up with two potential candidates. One being Rhaeger (sp?) Targaryen since he had abducted Lyanna. The other is Robert Baratheon.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or can point me to the correct thread if this has been discussed?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
GRRM: The Winds of Winter will not be published before the new season of "Game of Thrones", and the upcoming season will move substantially beyond the books published so far

He confirms that the decision to not write an episode for either of the two most recent seasons, and to drastically scale back his public appearances, was part of a concerted effort to get the book completed and turned in to his publisher in time for a March publication date. His original goal was to have it to his publisher by the end of October. As it became clear that that wasn't going to happen, his publisher figured out an expedited publication table that would have it on shelves by March as long as it was done by the end of 2015. Here we are, two days into 2016, and the book's far from completed. So he's done setting artificial deadlines for himself. He confirmed that hundreds of pages have been written, encapsulating dozens of chapters. If the writing goes well, he anticipates a completion date in a matter of months. If it doesn't it could be another couple of years.

If you want the books to be your first experience with the story, you should stop watching the show, because the show will hit the major plot points before the books will from here on out. That being said, the show has diverged more and more from the source material as it has gone on, and he expects that to continue -- especially as there is a lot about the end of the sixth and the entirety of the seventh books that he hasn't figured out yet.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That the book isn't coming out is probably the least shocking thing that I have ever read. And while it's grim, I doubt Martin will live long enough to finish the series due to his slow output, age and obesity. He can feel free to tell me to fuck off.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Martin used to have a life mostly within his books, but with his more recent notoriety, wealth, fame and other distractions, he has definitely found a new life outside his books and they are definitely on the backburner for any priority of ever finishing them at this point. HBO will have to do the job for him.

P.S. - Can't say I blame him.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
HBO just announced the season six premiere date. It's a later start than usual, which suits me just fine, since there will be less of an overlap with the busy broadcast TV season.

HBO has confirmed that the new seasons of GAME OF THRONES, SILICON VALLEY and VEEP will debut back-to-back on SUNDAY, APRIL 24, starting at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT).

GAME OF THRONES begins its ten-episode sixth season SUNDAY, APRIL 24 (9:00-10:00 p.m.). Based on the popular book series "A Song of Ice and Fire," by George R.R. Martin, this hit Emmy(R)-winning fantasy series chronicles an epic struggle for power in a vast and violent kingdom. The ensemble cast for the fifth season included Emmy(R) and Golden Globe winner Peter Dinklage, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Lena Headey, Emilia Clarke, Aidan Gillen, Kit Harington, Diana Rigg, Natalie Dormer, Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner. Executive producers, David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Carolyn Strauss, Frank Doelger, Bernadette Caulfield; co-executive producers, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, George R.R. Martin.

SILICON VALLEY returns for its ten-episode third season SUNDAY, APRIL 24 (10:00-10:30 p.m.). The Emmy(R)-winning and Golden Globe-nominated series takes a comic look at the modern-day epicenter of the high-tech gold rush, where the people most qualified to succeed are the least capable of handling success. A collaboration between Mike Judge and Alec Berg, the series stars Thomas Middleditch, T.J. Miller, Zach Woods, Kumail Nanjiani, Martin Starr, Josh Brener, Amanda Crew, Matt Ross, Suzanne Cryer and Jimmy O. Yang. Mike Judge, Alec Berg, Michael Rotenberg and Tom Lassally executive produce. The series was created by Mike Judge & John Altschuler & Dave Krinsky.

VEEP launches its ten-episode fifth season SUNDAY, APRIL 24 (10:30-11:00 p.m.). This Emmy(R)-nominated series stars Emmy(R) winner Julia Louis-Dreyfus as former Vice President Selina Meyer, who became president after her predecessor stepped down. The cast also includes Emmy(R) winner Tony Hale, Anna Chlumsky, Reid Scott, Matt Walsh, Timothy C. Simons, Sufe Bradshaw, Kevin Dunn, Gary Cole, Sam Richardson and Hugh Laurie. Dave Mandel, Frank Rich, Chris Godsick, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Lew Morton executive produce.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I am currently re-watching season 5, and noticed a comment that I felt may be foreshadowing the fate of Jon Snow for season 6.

In episode 5, Jon sits to talk with Maester Aemon to asks for his thoughts on joining with the wildlings, and Aemon says to him (paraphrasing), "the boy (referring to John) must die, so that the man can be born".

Any thoughts?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
You know we're getting close when Entertainment Weekly's annual "Game of Thrones" issue is out. This year they released it with six covers, focused on the show's women. Like last year, I got the Arya cover:
ew-got-s06-covers-left.jpg
ew-got-s06-covers-right.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Synopsis and Title for Season Premiere:
Debut: SUNDAY, APRIL 24 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT)

Other HBO playdates: April 24 (11:30 p.m., 2:00 a.m.), 25 (12:10 a.m.), 26 (9:00 p.m., 3:35 a.m.), 28 (11:05 p.m.), 29 (9:00 p.m.) and 30 (11:30 p.m.), and May 6 (8:00 p.m.)

HBO2 playdates: April 25 (8:30 p.m.) and 29 (1:00 a.m.), and May 1 (8:00 p.m.) and 28 (4:00 p.m.)

Jon Snow is dead. Daenerys meets a strong man. Cersei sees her daughter again.

Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss; directed by Jeremy Podeswa.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
There are plenty of feature films that WISH they could pull off a trailer like this one:

Tyrion: Dragons do not do well in captivity.
Missandei: How do you know this?
Tyrion: That's what I do. I drink. And I know things.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I'll just raise an eyebrow and suspect that they want to do eight seasons but GRRM isn't writing books and he's not writing screenplays so they have no idea what to put on the screen. The story may have an end but there is not a whole lot of material to get there. GRRM has tied the story into so many knots, there's not a clear way out and despite telling HBO people the end, they have no way to plan all those exotic locations and massive sets in advance.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, even HBO- which generally spends money like they're Michael Jackson- is cheaping out now. Many fans will be happy to get fewer episodes though. "I love this show so much that I hope that they make less of them!"
I would guess that this is coming from David and Dan. I always got the impression that they were targeting seven seasons, and HBO talked them up to eight.

Personally I want the number of episodes it will take to tell the conclusion of this story in the most satisfying way, no more and no less. If that means 30 episodes over seasons 6, 7 and 8, great. If it means 23 episodes over seasons 6, 7 and 8, that's also fine with me.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
David Benioff and D.B. Weiss to The Hollywood Reporter:
"In the beginning, we hoped that if the show worked, we'd get seven seasons to tell the tale. Seven kingdoms, seven gods, seven books — seven felt like a lucky number. The actual messiness of storytelling might not be quite that numerologically elegant, but we're looking at somewhere between 70 and 75 hours before the credits roll for the last time."
It sounds like they're plan from the onset was seven 10-episode seasons. Now that HBO has committed them to eight seasons, we're probably getting fifteen episodes spread across the last two seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks