What's new

In-ceiling/wall speaker placement question (1 Viewer)

d_m_c

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
I recently bought a home that has all of the cutouts and wiring for in wall and in ceiling speakers in several rooms. Never had in wall/ceiling speakers before so please excuse any ignorance I may have here.

My living room has a cathedral ceiling with wiring/holes for two 8" speakers on one side of the peak but only one on the other. There are also two 11.5" cutouts in the wall above the tv, which is angled in the corner of the room.

I would like to buy the 5 speakers that this room is set up for, But my question is...how do I configure the placement of these? My assumption is the two 11.5" speakers would be set as the fronts. But what do I set the 8" speakers as since there are 2 on one side of the room and only one on the other?

The attached pic shows the tv with two places for the two 11.5" speakers above and the side peak of the ceiling that only had the one 8" location to the far right . The peak on the other side has another 8" directly across from the one in the pic and a second across from the leftmost recessed light shown in the pic.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 85

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is why you don't let home builders blindly attempt home theater speaker placement.

Are you sure those three spots are for speakers and not accent lighting?

d_m_c

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Yeah, te house was built in the late 90s. We're the third owners. Not sure what the builders had in mind.

To be clear, there are 3 recessed lights shown in the picture. The speaker location in question is to the right of these. The opposite wall has 2 places for speakers to the one shown here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks