What's new

Is extra warranty worth getting on a new receiver? (1 Viewer)

KelownaKlipsh

Auditioning
Real Name
Arvind Sharma
Any thoughts on whether I should pay $69 for 2 more years of parts and labor warranty on a new Onkyo NX-TR 737 receiver?

It already comes with 2 years parts and labor from Onkyo. I only paid $499 for the receiver (regularly priced at $1100).

Thanks in advance

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
NIB has 2yrs.

Refurb has 90 days.

Up to you if you think you need 2 extra tears(of that is "2 extra years").

Being last years, you are good with the lack of future HDR and 60fps support?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I don't think it's worth it. Most receiver issues happen early. Also, receiver technology moves quickly (unlike, say, speakers), so in two years you won't want that receiver anyway.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Here's the thing with these warranties... If I paid for extended warranties on all my gear over the past 25 years I would have spent enough to buy anything I currently own twice and then some. It would be wasted money.

Also, some credit cards will extend your warranty. I almost always use American Express since they generally give me double the original length (read the fine print as this is not always true).

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
$70 for two more years seems kind of steep to me, but $499 for a new 737 is a good price. A refurb from ac4l.com ($399) comes with a one year warranty. 4 more years (5 total) is $55. That seems a bit better.

Only time I've paid for an extended warranty was on my first RPTV, a 55" Apex from CompUSA (Apex? Ya, I laugh now too). $99 for 3 more years on a $999 tv. Satellite installer ruined it. Received an $1100 store credit.

On an Onkyo, H/K or Pioneer I might be tempted buy it. Denon, maybe. Yamaha and Marantz, I'd pass. But I buy 90% of my stuff on the used market so...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
"Should I buy an extended warranty for consumer electronics that isn't mobile?"

No.

"Should I buy an extended warranty for consumer electronics that is mobile?"
No. Unless you have history of breaking pocket electronics or you have children.

"Car?"
Nope. Unless your car needs one. But then you should buy a reliable car instead.

"Yes, but..."
No.

That's my personal approach. I've saved thousands over the years not buying extended warranties. Stuff tends to not die, except for infant mortality. And systematic manufacturing or design errors seem to get corrected with manufacturer recalls / repairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks