What's new

New home entertainment plan (1 Viewer)

jesusq

Auditioning
I recently bought a new home and am planning my home entertainment system.

Situation:
The best place to place the tv is above the fireplace. But on each side of the fireplace there is two cavities that are 3' wide x 14' toll x 2' deep. The house has a hugh open area with 14' ceilings and my tv is 70" which just fit the space above the fireplace. I've been recommended to put a sound bar in between the tv and fireplace, but I strongly feel that a sound bar may not be enough to fill the environment. Like I said, this space is Hugh.

I also feel if I put some wall mount speakers, since the left and right speakers will be inside the cavity that the sound distorted sort of like a thin-can.

There is another option of putting ceiling mount speakers; but my question is what's the different between wall mount speakers and wall mount speakers?

cf83fff291505e7e05e1d88b01e30bf4.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I personally am not a fan of high up TVs and TVs over fireplaces hurt my neck. You have a really hard situation to fill tho, you might not have a choice. Your questions don't make much sense tho, difference between wall mount speakers and what? Wireless is that what you meant? Both are not great options but consider this: They are better than nothing.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
Sam Posten said:
I personally am not a fan of high up TVs and TVs over fireplaces hurt my neck.

Agreed. It's not a natural angle at which to watch a screen and soon produces neck ache.

Over fireplace screens are for designer magazines, not the real world.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What is your speaker budget?

Several brands make "flat panel" speakers to flank or go under the set. There are also mounts intended to bring the TV down when watching(and the speakers could be attached to that mount).

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

In-ceiling speakers are fine for rear surround speakers, but a very poor option for the front speakers. It will sound like a garbled mess. In-walls would be better. Actually, regular in-room speakers would be best, at least for the fronts, but looking at the picture I’m guessing the interior decorator will nix that idea...

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
With a thousand dollar budget you are going to have some limited choices especially if you do go in wall. I'd really recommend against ceiling speakers but again those are better than nothing.

Regarding the pull down levers for over mantle mounting: some of our members have had success with that, please do not get one with the intention of reviewing it for discount tho as some of these knucklehead vendors advertise, we will just remove the post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks