What's new

Some basic Apple Music answer(s) needed (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Started my free trial of Apple Music about a week or two ago. So far, I like it.

I had thought one of the features of Apple Music was that the subscriber's iTunes playlists would be accessed from any device with an Apple Music subscription.

My understanding of this --- and perhaps I am wrong --- was that my entire iTunes library would be uploaded to the cloud and available on every device.

I kind of see hints of this on my iPhone and iPad. I see one or two of my playlists, but clicking into them, I don't get a list of songs.

My iTunes music library is IMMENSE. I am talking about 8,000 songs. It is all run off an external SSD drive which I don't always keep connected to my Mac. So, perhaps that is the reason why I don't see all my music available.

Would like some clarification on how Apple Music accesses your iTunes library remotely, if at all.

Thank You

P

Patrick Donahue

Do you subscribe to iTunes Match? That's the service you use to access your music on every device. Apple Music is the subscription streaming service - but if you are using Match your iTunes library will appear right along side your choices from Music...

(Also, in settings, make sure "iCloud Music Library" is selected)

Like you I also used to play music from a SSD, but not anymore with iTunes Match. I keep the SSD as a backup, but as long as your Match subscription is current that really isn't even necessary. If anything goes wrong you can simply re-download everything. And you want to listen to music you can turn it on with your iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, whichever happens to be more convenient at the time - it's all the same.

One thing to keep in mind too, Ron, because I know you are thinking of ditching a Macbook for iPad Pro - it's helpful to have a computer with full Mac OS because it's the only way to change things with your music library (track order, cover art, etc).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I've been using Google PLay for awhile now.

Not sure what it costs now but I got it and have it at $8 a month.

the UI is simple and very easy to use.

I just got the iPhone 6s+ so signed up for the free

3 months of Music.

So far after suing for day or so I want to punch Music in the (inter)face.

The interface is confusing and super clunky.

Can't figure out simple things like how to go to and artist's cat

or just to go to see the list of songs on from the album of the song I'm listening to.

Compared to GP it's a big mess.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Donahue said:
Do you subscribe to iTunes Match? That's the service you use to access your music on every device. Apple Music is the subscription streaming service - but if you are using Match your iTunes library will appear right along side your choices from Music...

Actually Apple Music is essentially a replacement for iTunes Match - it does "back up" your entire iTunes music library. It then is available to play pack from iTunes on all of your other devices. Note that it doesn't actually have to copy them online so long as they already have a copy of them at Apple - but they will cover all albums that don't exist (yet) for them - like some of my ancient self made party CDs which I had imported to my iTunes in Apple Lossless along with all other CDs.

I have an iTunes Match question myself - does anyone have the $14 family plan - can you play songs from multiple iTunes devices simultaneously (in different rooms, etc) from a single iTunes account, as opposed one of the other family plan members accounts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks