What's new

Running CAT6 versus HDMI in Walls, space problem - HELP (1 Viewer)

Doc Vegas

Grip
Real Name
Shane
Folks: I have a projector that was installed when the house was built in 2007. I posted some pictures in another thread. People here recommended I stick with a projector, so i am trying to figure out how to get HDMI to the projector. After disconnecting everything, I found that could pull (hard pull) the component video cable through. I chose one of the three component video cables and pulled it about 1/2 way with a nylon cord taped to it. It got jammed and could not go through. Just the extra diameter of the cord + single layer of electric tape kept it from coming through. Something is restrictive inside the walls. :thumbsdown:

So, I think trying to fish an HDMI cable through is not going to happen. Someone suggested CAT6, but I am totally confused. Do I buy a roll of it without ends? What ends do I install if I can get it through? Do I need two runs of CAT6? I am hoping that if I run just one wire, then maybe it will fit through whatever is hanging it up now.

Advice desperately needed. Thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Good think you attached a pull string to that component cable so you could pull it back in, in case something like this happened.

If you don’t have attic access, your only other option is cutting holes in sheetrock. If you do, find my article on running in-wall wiring in my signature.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Doc Vegas

Grip
Real Name
Shane
Wayne A. Pflughaupt said:
Good think you attached a pull string to that component cable so you could pull it back in, in case something like this happened.

If you don’t have attic access, your only other option is cutting holes in sheetrock. If you do, find my article on running in-wall wiring in my signature.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thanks Wayne, very nice links. Looking at your wall diagram, I assume what is happening is that I am hitting a drilled out fire-block (horizontal 2x4 basically). I hope that I can fish a new wire through that existing hole somewhere in the bowls of my wall. So, what wire should I fish? Can I add the HDMI ends on later? If I run Cat6, it sounds like I need TWO Cat6 wires to combine to HDMI, is that right? Can I just cut the end off an HDMI wire and add it later? I think fishing two wires is really pushing my luck, in fact, i will be very lucky if I can get one wire through there. What do you recommend for that "one wire" with no end attached to fish through? THANKS!

schan1269 said:
Did you cut the RCA off the cable first?
Yes, off one end!

Doc Vegas

Grip
Real Name
Shane
schan1269 said:
Apparently you haven't Googled..,

"HDMI cat extender" yet.

I might merge the threads.
Wow, ironically, I have Googled it, and they show two CAT sockets with one HDMI outlet. This is my question exactly. If only one is needed, why do the extenders show two sockets for the CAT? Thanks!

Doc Vegas

Grip
Real Name
Shane
I also should clarify, I am looking for a total run of about 35 feet (30 feet is probably fine). The extenders seem like they are geared for even longer runs...? All I am trying to figure out is what is the best single wire to feed through existing routing in the walls (that is already very tight) without cutting holes/removing sheetrock? Once said wire is in place, how do I get the HDMI ends onto said wires. This is the crux of the question.

Thanks again all.

Doc Vegas

Grip
Real Name
Shane
schan1269 said:
Use a single cat HDMI extender.

HDMI is wonky past 20ft.
OK, sorry, you would think as a professor of engineering I would be a better communicator. Why do some show twin CAT sockets going to a single? Why do some advocate for running twin CAT6? Is there a preferred CAT6 type or is any old CAT6 fine? Thanks, but I have tried to find answers to these and have not found much definitive info. I spent a few hours yesterday around Tucson AZ and not one store could answer this either. Lastly, if I run CAT6, any recommendations on the end pieces? Who sells this stuff?

Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Twin cat balun came out first. Vanco created the first single cat.

Nobody should be using twin cat.

As long as the cat works, it works. 5, 5a or 6 is fine for your distance.

Doc Vegas

Grip
Real Name
Shane
Thanks - i realize these amateur questions are annoying. I will try to get some pictures and post up the solutions so others might learn from my experience. Without question, there is little info easily found on the internet.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks