What's new

VEI announces second wave of CBS series releases (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In case anyone missed the front page of www.tvshowsondvd.com

11 more complete series will be released by VEI at some point in the future.

The list is

Jake 2.0

Viper

The Magician

Promised Land

Evening Shade

Longstreet

The Untouchables (1990)

Nero Wolfe

The Immortal

Level 9

Super Force

I'm a bit disappointed that Early Edition and My 3 Sons weren't on the list, but Evening Shade is getting liberated from limbo, and those one and dones like Longstreet and The Magician sound interesting

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Wow, VEI is on quite a roll! While none of the titles are my buy list, I am very happy to see VEI continue to be a player in TV-on-DVD market.

Darby

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Just great to see them continuing their wide range of releases. Kudos and appreciation to VEI of course, but also to CBS/Paramount for obviously being extremely cooperative and reasonable about coming to terms about shows they do not intend to release themselves. In other threads, Neil and some other people have expressed fears that VEI would bankrupt itself and avoid more deals like this one. The fact that they are doing well enough with them to continue shows that CBS is making the risk as low as possible for VEI.

Personally, I'm very happy about Evening Shade, The Magician, and especially Nero Wolfe, a long-time favorite. I have never seen Longstreet, but will probably give it a (apologies in advance) blind buy.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
This means at least four more 'boots in my collection to meet "My Little Friend", Mr. B.F. Hahmmerr this upcoming year. May they "Rest In Pieces"! :laugh: :rolling-smiley:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Last I heard MY THREE SONS was not viable because there was still a question of music rights. On the other hand, when I asked why CBS could restore the music to THE FUGITIVE but not to MY THREE SONS, the answer I got from the highest level was, "Because not enough fans complained."

So maybe there's hope.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
More importantly, let's hope that VEI doesn't cut corners on disc quality control, on this second round.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Very happy about this announcement although only really interested in The Magician and Nero Wolfe and maybe The Immortal. I kind of suspected if VEI got more stuff from CBS, it would be mostly stuff post 60's and they did not disappoint. As I've said before, they have never shown much interest in pre 70's material..

This still leaves My 3 Sons, Hillbillies, and Petticoat( as well as Gunsmoke an Bonanza for you western fans) stuck in limbo at CBS. I don't suspect these will ever be VEI type material. I'm just really hoping someone else comes along and finishes those 3 (5) at some point. I'd hate to see them left hanging.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Frank Soyke said:
Very happy about this announcement although only really interested in The Magician and Nero Wolfe and maybe The Immortal. I kind of suspected if VEI got more stuff from CBS, it would be mostly stuff post 60's and they did not disappoint. As I've said before, they have never shown much interest in pre 70's material..

This still leaves My 3 Sons, Hillbillies, and Petticoat( as well as Gunsmoke an Bonanza for you western fans) stuck in limbo at CBS. I don't suspect these will ever be VEI type material. I'm just really hoping someone else comes along and finishes those 3 (5) at some point. I'd hate to see them left hanging.

I'm in for Longstreet, Magician, Nero Wolfe, and Immortal. As all are one season it shouldn't be too costly.

As for the other 60's CBS titles, it may not be just about VEI not going that direction, but CBS not willing to part with something they still aren't exactly sure what they want to do with.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I'll be very glad to be able to own Nero Wolfe courtesy of VEI. William Conrad was incredible in that role. I don't think any of the other newly-announced titles interest me, but this is great news that VEI is continuing this connection with CBS, and great news in general that someone is still able to make enough profit to keep cranking out more old tv shows on dvd. At least I assume it means that they have done well with this year's batch. I received an email today from VEI that Barnaby Jones has been delayed to December 15 due to unforeseen quality control issues. Hopefully they're working to get better at the quality of product they produce, but I have no personal complaints with anything I've purchased from them. As long as I have Barnaby in hand in time for Christmas vacation I'll be happy.

HonkyTonkMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Erik
The Obsolete Man said:
In case anyone missed the front page of www.tvshowsondvd.com

11 more complete series will be released by VEI at some point in the future.

The list is

Jake 2.0

Viper

The Magician

Promised Land

Evening Shade

Longstreet

The Untouchables (1990)

Nero Wolfe

The Immortal

Level 9

Super Force
Thanks so very much for the information.

I still haven't yet seen any episodes of any of those listed TV Series'.

I'm so extremely happy that Nero Wolfe and The Magician are finally going to be headed to Region 1 DVD though.

VEI is certainly on a huge roll right now and I thank them so very much for what they've done and what they're continuing to do for rare, vintage or classic TV Series'.

I'll definitely be buying VEI's upcoming Complete Series DVD set of the William Conrad 1981 NBC TV Series Nero Wolfe.

I'll also definitely be buying VEI's upcoming Complete Series DVD set of the Bill Bixby 1973-1974 NBC TV Series The Magician.

I might eventually buy VEI's upcoming Complete Series DVD release of the 1971-1972 ABC TV Series Longstreet.

I have no interest in any of the other TV Series' on this list.

When it comes to Bill Bixby TV Series', I already own all three seasons of the 1963-1966 CBS TV Series My Favorite Martian on DVD and all five seasons of the 1977-1982 CBS TV Series The Incredible Hulk on DVD plus all three of The Incredible Hulk 1988-1990 NBC TV movies on DVD too.

When it comes to William Conrad TV Series', I will finally be buying the VEI Cannon: The Complete Collection 31-disc DVD box set sometime early next year.

I really hope that VEI will eventually get the rights to put out a Complete Series DVD box set of the William Conrad 1987-1992 CBS TV Series Jake and the Fatman.

I haven't yet bought any William Conrad TV Series' on DVD.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Longstreet, Immortal and especially The Magician have all been on my personal list for quite some time. I remember enjoying Nero Wolfe so that may also be picked up.

Guess I really liked shows that were not "successful" commercially, whatever that means. Really looking forward to the time when these are available.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Wow! Just got home from work and saw the news... two of my "grail" shows (The Immortal, Longstreet) are in the planning stages! Plus, The Magician! The only way I could be more pleased (realistically speaking) with this CBS/Paramount-VEI deal, is if Coronet Blue and the remainder of One Step Beyond were on the list. Who knows, maybe next time...

For anyone who hasn't seen The Immortal, it's basically a sci-fi variation of The Fugitive, by way of Mannix.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Don't forget "Love Boat" and "Love American Style." The former has four seasons remastered that haven't been released and the latter, while apparently suffering from lack of complete elements in the one hour format for its later seasons could have had its second season released.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Super news, VEI coming through once again. The Magician, The Immortal, Longstreet and Nero Wolfe are sure buys. Perhas the remaining Evening Shades. The 1990s Untouchables obviously can't hold a candle to the brilliant original series, in fact it's pretty bad if directly compared, however regulars John Rhys-Davies and William Forsythe make most things watchable so I might give it a shot. Surprised the 1990s show The Marshal with Jeff Fahey isn't among the announcements this time, maybe next batch I'm certainly ready for it.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I want to see My Three Sons and Petticoat Junction. :(

Glad to see Evening Shade. Never seen it, but I know someone that will be happy to hear the news that it's finally unstalled.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Viper! Wow, never thought it would get released. My senior year in HS I watched the 1st season on NBC & never caught the syndicated seasons. Definitely one I've always wanted.

As the pocketbook allows, I'll be picking up all of these. Just a classic TV show lover & amateur TV historian. :)

Kudos to VEI.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
JamesSmith said:
Does this mean they're going to push Petrocelli and Angie even further back?

James
ANGIE should have been easier to produce than the longer-running series they released like HOTEL and BARNABY. I wonder if they are having issues related to the Maureen McGovern theme song?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks