What's new

Mystery Science Theater 3000 to return! (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Have below the press release from MST3KINFO.com....would love to see them back again!

Joel Hodgson, Creator of Mystery Science Theater 3000, Announces Kickstarter to #BringBackMST3K For a New Generation

For more than 25 years, the award-winning comedy television series Mystery Science Theater 3000 has been known as one of the best cult TV shows in history. The story of a human host and his robot sidekicks, trapped aboard a satellite and forced to watch cheesy movies by his captor, MST3K has maintained its reputation thanks largely to its fervently devoted fan base, known as MSTies. This morning, Joel Hodgson, creator and former host of the beloved show, announced that he is turning to the fans to bring back Mystery Science Theater 3000 for a new generation.

“I don’t think there’s ever been a show more dependent on its fans than Mystery Science Theater 3000,” Hodgson says. “Twenty-five years ago, we asked our fans to ‘Keep Circulating The Tapes’ and sharing MST3K with their friends and family to help the show find its audience. Now, I’m hoping the fans will join me again to “Keep Circulating the URL” of our Kickstarter, so that we can bring MST3K back to life for a new generation.”

Through Kickstarter, Hodgson hopes to raise at least $2 million – enough to make three brand new, feature length episodes – with an ultimate goal of raising the $5.5. million needed to make a full season of twelve episodes. While Hodgson will be involved in writing and all facets of production of the new series, the new episodes will feature a new host, new Mads and of course, new cheesy movies to riff.

To contribute to the campaign and for updates, visit www.bringbackmst3k.com, and follow MST3K on Facebook (facebook.com/MST3K), Twitter (@MST3K) and Instagram (@MST3K).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
Joel Hodgson is trying to revive Mystery Science Theater 300 via Kickstarter!

Forget all those dumb charities this Christmas and give all your money to http://www.bringbackmst3k.com
I'm contributing. Hoping for 12 episodes.

from the page

" Finally, if we raise $1 BILLION – stay with me on this one – we’re going to adopt a real live teenage boy and “Truman Show” him into believing he is the Pumaman!" :D

That made my day.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure they'll get to at least $3.3 million for 6 episodes. $5.5 million for 12 episodes might not happen though. That being said, I think this will be successful in achieving their biggest goal in showing that there's an audience for this show so it gets picked up by someone as a regular series again.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Glad I have not a clue who any of these new people are, as I have no pre conceived notions of they will bring to the table. Comments over at Satellite News have been getting more than a little contentious. (And suddenly everyone is an expert on how much it costs to make a cow town puppet show in 2015.) Not that that's anything new for MST3K fandom.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
SilverWook said:
Glad I have not a clue who any of these new people are, as I have no pre conceived notions of they will bring to the table. Comments over at Satellite News have been getting more than a little contentious. (And suddenly everyone is an expert on how much it costs to make a cow town puppet show in 2015.) Not that that's anything new for MST3K fandom.

It's fandoms everywhere. They always say they want new episodes of their favorite shows, but in the unlikely event that they get them, they hate them automatically because what they want isn't new episodes, but the chance to see their favorites again for the first time.

As for the new cast... I like Jonah Ray on Nerdist, Felicia Day was fun in Eureka, the new Crow guy sounds like a nice mix of Trace and Bill, and I still hate Tom Servo's new voice. Really. It's too high after the lovely tones of Kevin Murphy and J. Elvis's sleepy monotone. Though Servo's bit in the new Kickstarter update did do a bit to help win me over.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
SilverWook said:
Glad I have not a clue who any of these new people are, as I have no pre conceived notions of they will bring to the table.
The only one I'm familiar with at all is Day and she's been good in the few things that I've seen her in (the wonderful Dr. Horrible and a fun recurring character on Supernatural) but it seems like she can do comedy. I'm just happy she's involved because like I said, I think bringing her fanbase into the equation is going to be a big help in getting them to the 12 episode mark.

And not to undersell the actors' importance but in my opinion, the joke writing is the biggest thing on MST3K. If the writing is good, I'm probably going to be happy with whoever is delivering the jokes. Also, this show is completely different from anything that these people have done before so who knows what they bring to the table or how they bring it.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
You know, I was waffling for a bit - 200 bucks for a Blu Ray set initially sounded kind of steep. But then I got thinking that the old MST3K sets from Shout! have four movies and run about 50 bucks each. If they got to 12 episodes, that's only 150 bucks in Old MST currency. I buy the old sets without hesitation, so why should the new set be any different?

So yeah, I jumped in. I cant wait.

Also:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks