What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Mr. Holmes -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Bill Condon's Mr. Holmes offers us a variant we've not before visited.

Iam McKellen is Mr. Holmes in his dotage, putting together clues about a final "failed" case that sent him into self-proclaimed retirement.

Holmes was 92 years old in 1947, when this film takes place, and still generally in control of his weakening faculties, and able to control many things, short of Rotten Tomatoes logo emblazoned on the cover of the artwork.

Those who knew him, would know that he would not have been pleased.

There is a century of filmmaking dividing this interpretation of Mr. Holmes, with that of the William Gillette silent version of 1916, which was also recently released.  The earlier expectantly creaks more than a bit, this one doesn't.  Not for a moment.

As a Blu-ray, Lionsgate's release is spectacular, especially when uprezzed via 4k projection. It was shot with an Alexa (via Panavision), and those data files are perfectly rendered to the HD format.  Blacks are gorgeous.  Resolution superb.  Any minor scratches or minus density in the original elements has been perfectly covered.  Hence, there are no age-related artifacts.

A wonderful film, with magnificent performances from Sir Ian and Laura Linney.

After seeing this, I need to read Mr. Holmes' autobiography.  We're all aware of the tales spun by Dr. Watson.  Time for a dose of reality.

Mr. Holmes is 105 minutes of cinematic pleasure.

Image - 5*

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Sir Ian is, well, Sir Ian... But Laura Linney never ceases to amaze. What a great performer she is! The young man was quite good too. This film was such an unexpected, satisfying experience. As RAH stated: Highly Recommended.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Robert Harris said:
Holmes was 92 years old in 1947, when this film takes place, and still generally in control of his weakening faculties, and able to control many things, short of Rotten Tomatoes logo emblazoned on the cover of the artwork.
Is it as egregious as the one on The Gift, or merely one of the transparent stickers as seen on Philomena, X-Men: First Class, John Wick and Mad Max: Fury Road?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Stephen_J_H said:
Is it as egregious as the one on The Gift, or merely one of the transparent stickers as seen on Philomena, X-Men: First Class, John Wick and Mad Max: Fury Road?

Smaller, but just as unpleasant.

I have no problem with stickers, but to have it as part of the artwork denigrates the release.

RAH

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
As a confirmed Sherlock Holmes junkie, I was thrilled with this film. The leads were all spectacular, including the young fellow who assists Holmes. Rarely am I as impressed by a child actor as I was with him. Overall, it's the best theatrically released Holmes production in decades, and I couldn't be happier to own it.

I agree, however, that the RT logo is an eyesore.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I actually went to see this film in theaters (imagine that!) and loved it. I was disappointed to see that Lionsgate skimped on the extras, with only the trailer and two featurettes totaling five minutes, when there are some 45 minutes of cast/crew interviews classified by the BBFC in the UK, and surely on the UK Blu-ray:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/mr-holmes-interviews-cast-and-crew-video

I think this one is an import, but I hope it doesn't rot on the way over, since it hasn't been Certified Fresh...

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
McCrutchy said:
I think this one is an import, but I hope it doesn't rot on the way over, since it hasn't been Certified Fresh...

Bahahahahaha!!!! Well played!

I also saw this one in the theater, and thought it was wonderful. Which is a word I rarely use to describe new films these days, but one which fits Mr. Holmes like a glove.

Adding this to my Sherlock Holmes DVD/BD collection, I see that said collection is now up to 111 discs. The William Gillette film will make 112. This has been a great year to be a Holmes fan.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If anyone hasn't yet seen that RT logo on a copy of Mr. Holmes...

gallery_286742_34_99665.jpg

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hey, if that lower third right side 'bug' helps promote or sell more copies of the movie to those who actually follow those reviews (which I suspect is a considerably younger demographic than most of us who would have sought this film out in the first place), then I'm okay with it. But I did wait to see this at home instead of the theater just because it is that kind of more quiet picture, and it was immensely satisfying to those of us who savor anything Sherlock Holmes (with the exception of "Elementary").

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:
Hey, if that lower third right side 'bug' helps promote or sell more copies of the movie to those who actually follow those reviews (which I suspect is a considerably younger demographic than most of us who would have sought this film out in the first place), then I'm okay with it.
As someone who actively dislikes Rotten Tomatoes, you do make a good point. I don't know how many more people see a movie because of the RT logo but if it helps even a small amount of people see better movies, that is a good thing.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I also saw Mr. Holmes in the theater. We both loved it, and now the Blu-ray is part of our collection! We will be showing it in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater in the near future.

Mark

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Hollywoodaholic said:
Hey, if that lower third right side 'bug' helps promote or sell more copies of the movie to those who actually follow those reviews (which I suspect is a considerably younger demographic than most of us who would have sought this film out in the first place), then I'm okay with it. But I did wait to see this at home instead of the theater just because it is that kind of more quiet picture, and it was immensely satisfying to those of us who savor anything Sherlock Holmes (with the exception of "Elementary").

A reasonable stance, though I might suggest the compromise of simply using a removable sticker, which I've seen on other titles. The same net result, without the downside of permanently "denigrating" (to borrow Mr. Harris's term) the cover art.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
TravisR said:
As someone who actively dislikes Rotten Tomatoes, you do make a good point. I don't know how many more people see a movie because of the RT logo but if it helps even a small amount of people see better movies, that is a good thing.
Every movie buff has to start somewhere, and if a Rotten Tomatoes seal of approval is the starting point, why not? Anybody who recognizes that logo knows that it signifies a general consensus, so it's an instant no-brainer stamp of approval for anyone who might be on the fence. But, puh-leeeze, make it a removable sticker. It's not needed after it's done its job.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Robert Harris said:
As a Blu-ray, Lionsgate's release is spectacular, especially when uprezzed via 4k projection. It was shot with an Alexa (via Panavision), and those data files are perfectly rendered to the HD format. Blacks are gorgeous. Resolution superb. Any minor scratches or minus density in the original elements has been perfectly covered. Hence, there are no age-related artifacts.

Scratches on Alexa digital files! Wow. And no age related artifacts? Damn, these digital tapes used to rot much faster in the old days. :huh:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
davidmatychuk said:
It's not needed after it's done its job.

davidmatychuk said:
Somewhere in the next world, all of my old English teachers are giving each other high fives over that sentence.
'Tis a splendid sentence, Dave; indeed it is!
'Twas worth the wait; and its weight in gold, no less.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Michel_Hafner said:
Scratches on Alexa digital files! Wow. And no age related artifacts? Damn, these digital tapes used to rot much faster in the old days. :huh:

What do you expect from a release that is Certified Fresh? Clearly, it's a new wet gate scan of the digital intermediate, and the two-strip technicolor sequence set in "Japan" has been lovingly restored based on the original color timing notes made on a 2nd Generation iPad.

I don't agree with the new Giorgio Moroder rock score they've synced to this restored version, though the mix of Freddie Mercury and Sherlock Holmes does look good on paper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks