What's new

3rd Quarter Home Entertainment Spending (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Patrick Donahue
  • Start date
P

Patrick Donahue

DEG released numbers make for an always interesting read:

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/research/third-quarter-home-entertainment-spending-steady-gains-est-and-streaming-36998

One quote I wanted to get others opinion on was this:

"Packaged media sales are down 14%, to $1.15 billion. Factor in EST and the total amount of money consumers spent buying content came in at an estimated $1.58 billion..."

Now I am by far a math major but what I take from that is that in this age of streaming boxes and phones and tablets, when choosing to purchase a movie, consumers chose physical over digital 73% of the time. Right?

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Patrick Donahue said:
DEG released numbers make for an always interesting read:

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/research/third-quarter-home-entertainment-spending-steady-gains-est-and-streaming-36998

One quote I wanted to get others opinion on was this:

"Packaged media sales are down 14%, to $1.15 billion. Factor in EST and the total amount of money consumers spent buying content came in at an estimated $1.58 billion..."

Now I am by far a math major but what I take from that is that in this age of streaming boxes and phones and tablets, when choosing to purchase a movie, consumers chose physical over digital 73% of the time. Right?

Yeah, 73% is right, but it's really the trend that matters. That trend is double digit growth for digital and double digit declines for physical. At that rate, it's not going to be long before digital sell-though is over 50% of all purchases.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
We'll see. Not at the prices they are asking these days, if they want it to be mainstream they are going to have to make the value play better for most folks. In my opinion at least.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Well the good news is that the growth rate of Digital HD is slowing. However the bad news is that the decline rate of physical appears to be increasing. However the good news is that the growth rate of Digital HD is slowing at a faster rate than the physical decline rate (however confusing that may be, lol).

So you may be right. Digital HD will have a peak and physical will have a bottom. The question is, when will those occur and what will be the peak/bottom revenue?

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Streaming growth rate hasn't slowed though, still up over 20 percent and holding steady. As a result, this is the first quarter that the DEG report has it as the largest revenue category (which of course, used to be physical sell-through).

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
bruceames said:
Well the good news is that the growth rate of Digital HD is slowing. However the bad news is that the decline rate of physical appears to be increasing. However the good news is that the growth rate of Digital HD is slowing at a faster rate than the physical decline rate (however confusing that may be, lol).

So you may be right. Digital HD will have a peak and physical will have a bottom. The question is, when will those occur and what will be the peak/bottom revenue?
Hi bruce why would Digital HD growing slower be good news? I dont understand. If someone buys content via physical and digital a slowing down isnt very good in my book. I also wonder what Vidity will play into this when it ramps up next year. I have started buying digital media via itunes recently as I believe I like this format best so far when it comes to downloads and manageability for me and my collection. This is a complete swing from my prior feeling that UVs Vudu was best for the consumer. Lack of download option was the reason for my switching. Also from what I have read Netflix is slowing down when it comes to growth in late 2015 am I correct in that?

In addition I dont believe that physical will bottom out to very low numbers. I fully expect there to be a market for physical in the future even if its smaller in scale yet still in the billions. Its not going away.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Towergrove said:
Hi bruce why would Digital HD growing slower be good news? I dont understand. If someone buys content via physical and digital a slowing down isnt very good in my book. I also wonder what Vidity will play into this when it ramps up next year. I have started buying digital media via itunes recently as I believe I like this format best so far when it comes to downloads and manageability for me and my collection. This is a complete swing from my prior feeling that UVs Vudu was best for the consumer. Lack of download option was the reason for my switching. Also from what I have read Netflix is slowing down when it comes to growth in late 2015 am I correct in that?

In addition I dont believe that physical will bottom out to very low numbers. I fully expect there to be a market for physical in the future even if its smaller in scale yet still in the billions. Its not going away.

Hi Sarah,

I meant it from the perspective of the physical media fans. It could be argued that slowing growth in Digital HD means a corresponding slowing in the decline rate of physical. Most of the digital growth is at the expense of physical. I would love to continue to see digital HD grow, but not by cannibalizing physical sales.

Netflix is slowing a tad bit, but not as much as Digital HD. Of course it will be interesting to see how Vidity and UHD help digital sales. I think it will help the growth rate quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks