What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Ana Lily Amirpour is an interesting young woman.

Her first feature film, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night is a simple tale, told in black & white, with images captured via an Arri Alexa Studio.  The film was finished as a 2k DI.

The interesting thing to my eye, was that she and her DP Lyle Vincent, chose to use an actual anamorphic lens for the shoot, and to not shoot spherically, and crop.

By "a simple tale," I mean, as has been noted elsewhere, that the film is an Iranian vampire spaghetti western fairy tale.

While it moves slowly, the film works.

My advice is to get in on the ground floor with Ms Amirpour, as there's more to come.

Kino Lorber's new Blu-ray (and what an interesting addition to their library) is a perfect representation of the data files.  There's no reason  why it shouldn't be.  The black & white imagery is gorgeous.

You need to see this one.

As an aside, by Iranian, I don't mean Iranian.  The film was shot in California's San Joaquin Valley, although dialogue is in Farsi, with English sub-titles.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Iran produces many good films, by the way. The much acclaimed "A Separation" is only the tip of the iceberg. At the same time making (the wrong) films in Iran can be very dangerous. Prison...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Iranian cinema, as far as I'm concerned, starts and comes full circle with...

The Cow(1969)

Short version of why the movie is important(not to mention that it is just a good, timeless movie)

The Ayatollah liked the movie and how it portrayed "non clashing views" to rest of the world. In a sense...it saved the future of Iranian cinema.

For those with Fandor, you can stream it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks