What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So, you'll have to subscribe for $6/month to get the CBS app? This smacks of a heavy studio hand, like when Voyager was the flagship of the UPN Network.

I hope they can pull it off, and Star Trek belongs on TV, but the needed subscription sure seems like exploitation of Star Trek fans.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The Obsolete Man said:
Of course, if it's based on the horrid NuTrek crap, I won't even catch it on DVD.

My guess is it would be easier to write scripts in the rebooted JJVerse, than in the original prime universe of the previous movies + shows. At this point, the JJVerse is relatively a blank slate (ie. the two reboot movies, several YA novels, and a comic book series).

With so much history and canon in the original prime universe, it would require a Star Trek expert to check whether scripts are consistent with the previous Star Trek prime universe canon.

With all the old canon thrown away, it would be easier to write new episode scripts starting from a blank slate. (This may also be the same reasons why Disney rebooted and invalidated all the old Star Wars canon of the Expanded Universe from the novels, comics, etc ...).

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
jcroy said:
My guess is it would be easier to write scripts in the rebooted JJVerse, than in the original prime universe of the previous movies + shows. At this point, the JJVerse is relatively a blank slate (ie. the two reboot movies, several YA novels, and a comic book series).

With so much history and canon in the original prime universe, it would require a Star Trek expert to check whether scripts are consistent with the previous Star Trek prime universe canon.

With all the old canon thrown away, it would be easier to write new episode scripts starting from a blank slate. (This may also be the same reasons why Disney rebooted and invalidated all the old Star Wars canon of the Expanded Universe from the novels, comics, etc ...).

Without the history, they might as well just do another generic sci-fi show. But, people won't blindly lay down their money for something new.

Of course, the articles are saying that the show has nothing to do with the 2016 movie, so maybe that's a good sign.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Sam Favate said:
So, you'll have to subscribe for $6/month to get the CBS app? This smacks of a heavy studio hand, like when Voyager was the flagship of the UPN Network.

I hope they can pull it off, and Star Trek belongs on TV, but the needed subscription sure seems like exploitation of Star Trek fans.

Agreed, Sam. This smacks of CBS having no faith in the show already and using it as the hook to make more money from their app. I'm on the fence about it right now since we literally know nothing about it.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The Obsolete Man said:
Without the history, they might as well just do another generic sci-fi show. But, people won't blindly lay down their money for something new.

Technically the Star Trek Enterprise tv series would be canon in the JJVerse.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The Obsolete Man said:
If so, no sale. I"ll catch it on DVD. In fact, I'll probably just catch it on DVD anyway.

If it turns out this show is good and has high production values, it would be a good candidate for release on 4K bluray.

(At this point I'm holding back any decisions on purchasing 4K stuff, until I see what the upcoming Star Wars movies look like in 4K).

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Clearly fan exploitation...but, I'm afraid this won't be the last we'll see of this strategy. The age of streaming services has arrived.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There's clearly been a lot of urging from the fan community for a new series. This is no surprise, the announcement is a surprise.

I think there's a bit of backlash against the JJverse from the old fans like myself who prefer the Prime Universe. The hope I had and perhaps others is the TV series would be in the Prime Universe.

It does make sense the new series is in the JJverse as it would create confusion for the casual viewer if it wasn't. Will this be recasting the TOS crew again? We'll see.

I actually think it's a cool idea if the series is streamed. It's the future, get used to it. [emoji3]. And hopefully the series will be well produced and have a decent budget and cast but most importantly, be what made Star Trek great. Not JJverse angst and combat sequences. If the series is not on network, then it might have a chance to be more like it was in TOS. It worked well for Galactica. On the other hand, with Kurtzman running the show, I'm not too hopeful. It looks like Roberto Orci, whose the real Trek expert was kicked out since the third film was in preproduction. He must be all the way out.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Star Trek on TV? Finally!

Wait... oh, it's streaming-only? No interest whatsoever!

Oh, it's probably based on NuTrek? Way to not sweeten the deal. Morons.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Not too happy about it being on yet another streaming service that I'm not subscribed to. Pretty soon, all the streaming services that you have to subscribe to just to get everything you might want to see will end up costing more in total than cable alone does.

Now, if CBS decides to show it on their service first, but then port it over to Netflix/Hulu a month or so later, then I can wait for that.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I wonder if you do pay for the CBS online service, you still get commercials. If so, No dice for me. As much as I like/love Star Trek, I will no longer watch commercials unless I am watching for free. That is the fair deal. I am glad that Hulu finally figured this out.

As far as the old versus new (JJ) cannon, I am on the fence. I think I could be convinced to like either choice. One way (JJ Cannon) is potentially more freeing but the original cannon feels more right for some reason. I think it might depend on where/what it is. Is it going to be located on a star ship, space station, on earth? there is a lot we do not know.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
if they said same producing team as Star Trek Continues I'd be excited, same as the awful Star Trek Into Darkness, Thanks No.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Maybe we'll get the voyages of the Enterprise J, set in the 26th century? The Next Next Generation. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
jcroy said:
Technically the Star Trek Enterprise tv series would be canon in the JJVerse.

As well as the mid-21st Century stuff from Star Trek: First Contact. So technically Picard et al do exist in the Prime universe, since the point of departure was after their intervention in the past. Which would seem to create a paradox. But whatever.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
jcroy said:
If it turns out this show is good and has high production values, it would be a good candidate for release on 4K bluray.

(At this point I'm holding back any decisions on purchasing 4K stuff, until I see what the upcoming Star Wars movies look like in 4K).

The new Star Wars is 3D, which means it's locked at 2K, though I suppose they could create a 4K DI for non-3D presentations.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm a huge Star Trek fan, but I am not excited about this news. I am trying to cut my vampire bills for apps, and streaming services, and I'll be darned If I add another for one show that quite frankly I don't think I need to get into. I have all the Trek shows on DVD, and Blu-Ray, and I'll be perfectly content watching the reruns of those for the rest of my days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks