What's new

Poor dialogue watching films using headphones. (1 Viewer)

Me262

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hi all !!

I'm in need of some help, I have to watch most of my films using headphones to listen the soundtrack as my mum has Dementia and any loud noises upset her. I recently had a nice windfall tax rebate so I decided to get myself a new AV receiver. I read a lot of reviews and eventually went for a Sony STR-DH550. I'm super impressed with the sound quality but I have noticed that the dialogue during films through the headphones is really quiet but the music and explosions etc are super loud so I keep having to turn the volume up and down which is a bit of a pain. I understand that the receiver is having to "downmix" 6 or 7 sound channels down to just two, when you plug the headphones in the receiver automatically puts itself into "2HP" mode. I didn't have this problem with my previous Sony receiver and I can't find any options to boost dialogue other than the usual night mode etc.

I am using the HDMI cable to provide the audio but I have also tried co-ax and optical inputs but that doesn't make any difference, the dialogue is still way to quiet.

Anyone any thoughts ?? I have looked at some Sony surround sound headphones, would that make a difference ??

Thanks

Kev

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not that I went to carp on your Sony decision...but.

Onkyo has a "theater dimension" sound mode especially for headphones. Others do as well, but Onkyo includes it at a lower point than other brands.

Sony probably has the same thing, but likely not till the 1050.

That sound mode tends to exist on AVR with multiple analog audio inputs(though...it works on all inputs). Those who still listen to analog(turntables, cassette etc) tend to listen to headphones. Unlike most manufacturers, Onkyo hasn't turned its back on analog under $500(msrp).

(I didn't read the prior link, so try that first...whatever that is. But if that doesn't work...exchanging the AVR for one with a "theater dimension"* mode might be necessary.

*every manufacturer calls it a different thing)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks