What's new

Needing a new 5.1 or 7.1 system for living (1 Viewer)

DNVASurround

Auditioning
Real Name
Donavin
Hello all,

I'm going to try to give as much information as I can, without being over-whelming.

I just received a Samsung HJ-5500W from Amazon when I bought my TV. I was replacing a Visio Sound bar with rear speakers.

My desires: Decent surround sound - Not looking for very crisp, clear sounds. I'm able to set up the sound system, so receiver/speakers separately is fine.

Now: Why am I returning the HJ-5500W: This surround sound will only use the rear speakers for specific Dolby movies. Even if you enable the "M-Stereo" option to turn 2 channel sound into 5, the rear are extremely quiet. The Vizio sound-bar rear speakers worked very well, and correct for up-converting 2 channel, but I just wanted a more front-left, front-right, center deal in the front.

I bought a generic LG Sound system maybe 6 years ago that I absolutely loved - I had the ability to specify the volume of every speakers, which I loved. I played a generic video game and as I was in combat, I could hear someone from my back-left, out of my back-left speaker; back-right, so on. With this new system, I can't. I even did a Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound test, and it only came out of the front two. I then played Avengers: Ultron and only once in awhile heard a sound effect in the rear.

I love the quality of the front 3 speakers, I do. But the Bass is pretty weak, and the rear speakers being worthless even bothers my wife.

I'm hoping people can suggest to me a good either All-In-One or specific receivers and speakers.

Important to me: Surround Sound - Dolby. But GOOD Surround Sound. If i play a game I want it to be true surround sound.

I would like a strong bass, and options are good.

Receiver wise I don't care about many connections - I will likely just Digital Op it to my TV and hook everything into my TV.

I'm unsure what else I can ask for. Currently my budget will be ~$500 - It isn't much, but it's the amount Amazon will credit me back for the promotion. I could throw in some cash on top of it, but hoping to stick around this.

Please let me know your opinions, I wish I could remember the name of the sound system I had long ago - I genuinely did enjoy it.

(The one thing I do love about the Samsung series I got is the Receiver functions are very good, and the front-channel speakers are amazing.)

Honestly i should suck it up and get a receiver/speakers combo so I can upgrade those over time.

I would prefer 7.1 (Or 7.2, for chance to get additional subwoofer later).

About the room: I am approx 9 feet away from the TV - 4 feet away from the back wall. I currently have the mount pads 1 feet behind us, on the ceiling. If 7.1, I will likely move those up to our sides, and the rear a foot behind us.

Front speakers I just sit ear-level on the mount.

Edit: Also - Prefer product links from Amazon (Or items available on Amazon, and I will find them) Since I have to use their promotion.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Welcome Donavin,

I would suggest stretching your budget slightly, to go with the below. It'll be a system you can enjoy for years to come, so it's well worth the extra 200 dollars to get a result that will absolutely thrash any Home Theater In a Box system!

Speakers:

http://****/1KKeqbh

Receiver:

http://****/1HgktnB

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
DNVASurround said:
Receiver wise I don't care about many connections - I will likely just Digital Op it to my TV and hook everything into my TV.
If you're taking this approach now, that might explain a lot of your current problems.

Virtually every display made today will only output 2.0 analog stereo (even though it's a "digital" connection) for any external sources.

If you want to enjoy digital surround sound from multiple sources, you need to approach this the right way and get equipment that is purpose-built to achieve that.

Connecting sources to your TV then digital optical to a budget HTiB is NOT the best way to accomplish this, and you won't likely get any recommendations for such a setup around here.

Another benefit a "real" receiver-based system will provide is a calibration/setup feature which will help ensure that the levels of all speakers are properly set.

The minimum systems we recommend around here are "pre-packaged" systems that include a powered subwoofer. Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha make systems like these. However, the current options at Amazon are pretty thin and they would also push beyond your budget.

However, the option Dave suggested is a good one. You should consider that if you're locked into Amazon.

If you're open to refurb systems and shopping elsewhere, there are many more pre-packaged options that fit your budget over at accessories4Less.com.

DNVASurround

Auditioning
Real Name
Donavin
Thanks for the replies - Much appreciated.

So if I am to use the Receiver as my pass-through, instead of the TV, I'm thinking I would want to go with http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ILCS182 as my receiver.

Which brings me to speakers - I'm trying to get decent speakers (And bass) without killing my budget too much.

I saw http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-SKS-HT540-Channel-Theater-Speaker/dp/B000GU78Z4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446214343&sr=8-1&keywords=7.1+speakers but the reviews/specs have me indifferent. Any suggestions for those?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
You really don't want to spend too little on speakers and too much on your receiver and get lower end speakers, imho.

I would hold off for a couple of months, and purchase the Andrew Jones speakers if at all possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks