What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Jurassic World 3D -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Where precisely did Colin Trevorrow come from?

And why was he entrusted with 150MM of Universal's hard earned dollars to add one more episode to the Jurassic Park canon?

His earlier work, the 2012 Safety Not Guaranteed, presumably holds some key, and I've ordered a copy.

Those of you who have seen Jurassic World, are keenly aware of it's attributes.  While I missed the film theatrically, I've caught up with it on 3D Blu-ray, and to put it mildly, I was knocked out.

To my eyes and ears, Jurassic World is one of the great Event film, roller coaster rides of the past decade or so.  I've believe that as sheer entertainment, it's that good.

It has all of those original "wow" moments of the original -- helicopter shots of the massive terrain, running, rolling, traveling with dinosaurs.

The initial "wow" shot arrives with an incredible sweeping camera (or digital) move, as (still) young these Ty Simpkins moves through the hotel room, and opens doors, allowing us a view of the park beyond.

From startling, and beautifully planned and produced digital shots, combined with live action, to an audio field that does a wonderful job of enveloping us along with the action, the film is a winner.

Don't look for heavy lifting in the thinking department.  Just sit back and enjoy what's being offered as pure entertainment.

Best seen on the largest home theater screen possible, along with high end audio.

I was able to walk up to the projection screen, and view the image in 3D, and while, even uprezzed to 4k, it didn't meet pure 4k parameters, I'd guess that it was somewhere around 2.8 or 3ish.

A remarkable effort, and a well-placed 150MM for Universal.

Mr. Trevorrow's next work, currently entitled The Book of Henry is currently in the works, and I can't wait to see the final product.

Universal's Jurassic World 3D is prime reference quality, especially for those with projection systems.  Hopefully, it will be among the first UHDs released.

Image - 5*

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5 - merely astounding

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

P

Patrick Donahue

I was 14 when Jurassic Park came out. A perfect age for the material. Jurassic World brought me right back to that time. That, to me, makes it a treasure.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One of the things that I loved was the homage to Kong, especially censored scenes.

RAH

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
Where precisely did Colin Trevorrow come from?

And why was he entrusted with 150MM of Universal's hard earned dollars to add one more episode to the Jurassic Park canon?

His earlier work, the 2012 Safety Not Guaranteed, presumably holds some key, and I've ordered a copy.
It's a small but a very good movie with quite a bit of oddball heart and an enjoyable cast. It must have impressed Spielberg and company to make them think he could handle a massive movie like Jurassic World.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I thoroughly enjoyed Jurassic World, better than the previous two, IMO. But there are people (on this forum) who couldn't make it past the first 30 minutes.

Loved that last shot of the T-Rex roaring defiantly, the perfect capper. The film cuts to the end credits just before the helicopters arrive with their stun guns and nets. :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
trajan said:
Sold 3 million bluray and dvd in first week. On its way to become highest selling bluray of all time.
That's incredible. I don't mean this to be negative or to come off as a knock against the movie because I had a ton of fun watching it but based on how it did at the box office and now on video, it just seems like everyone else LOVED it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
TravisR said:
That's incredible. I don't mean this to be negative or to come off as a knock against the movie because I had a ton of fun watching it but based on how it did at the box office and now on video, it just seems like everyone else LOVED it.
It has everything a thourougly entertaining Event movie for the masses must have.

In spades.

And it all begins with the written word.

RAH

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Robert Harris said:
I was able to walk up to the projection screen, and view the image in 3D, and while, even uprezzed to 4k, it didn't meet pure 4k parameters, I'd guess that it was somewhere around 2.8 or 3ish.
That's interesting that uprezzed to 4K, it looks like 3K, because the DI was done at 3K (according to American Cinematographer). Probably a coincidence but a fascinating one.

Hank_P

Second Unit
I better watch it again in 3D. I saw this at the theater and truly enjoyed the movie (but did not see in 3D). With the BR release, I was excited to see it in 3D. Maybe my hopes were to high or something but I would give it an "okay" in 3D. The 3D really did not knock my socks off as I was 'expecting'. I still enjoyed the movie, but maybe I missed something while viewing it. My wife was the same way though. We will definitely give it another watch soon, as we did really like what they did with it. There are a couple scenes were I thought it popped really good, but was not consistent throughout. As far as sound goes, LOVED IT! It rocked my house pretty good.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Josh Steinberg said:
That's interesting that uprezzed to 4K, it looks like 3K, because the DI was done at 3K (according to American Cinematographer). Probably a coincidence but a fascinating one.

I'm pretty positive there's no spec other than 2K for 3D films at this moment.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It was shot in both 35 and 65, as well as Red (6k).

Finished in 2k.

Looks amazing.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Worth said:
I'm pretty positive there's no spec other than 2K for 3D films at this moment.
That's true but the ASC article I read said that the 2D version was done as a 3K DI. They didn't comment at all about the 3D conversion. (Lately they've been ignoring the 3D aspect of most films, especially post-converted titles.)

I didn't realize when I posted that RAH had been reviewing the 3D version although it's clear as day in his post and title - my mistake!

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Robert Harris said:
It was shot in both 35 and 65, as well as Red (6k).

Finished in 2k.

Looks amazing.

DI was done at 2398 * 1556. So the UHD BD should show a visibly sharper picture than the BD. Nonetheless, I wish it were done at 4K. With 65mm and 6K elements a must. Too bad the budget was apparently not there to do the sfx in 4K. Now with the world wide revenues above 1.5 billion the plus spending for 4K would have been milk money in comparison. And Spectre cost twice as much. It was not even a terribly expensive movie.

macdaddy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
Loved the movie. Saw it in 3d at the theater and had to have it day 1. The 3d adds depth, I don't recall much in the way of pop outs.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It's more of a 2.5D movie than a 3D one, with limited depth and no pop out. The Walk it's not, and for me more enjoyable in 2D.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
It's Pratt and Bryce Howard. A nice couple. Bryce Howard plays a combination of Sam Neil's role and Attenborough's role, shared with Irfan Khan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks