What's new

Predictions for 2016? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Well. . . . I know we have still two months and a week for 2015, so excepting November's releases from the WB Archives. I think we can speculate a bit...

2015. Overall not a great year for classic television releases, but 2014 was such a strong year with the Adam West Batman, Wonder Years, WKRP, and others. Perhaps 2015 was meant for us to catch up on our spending and let our wallets breath a bit. It was a catch up year for a few series to finish up their DVD runs like Bronco, Daktari, Hart to Hart, Quincy and a few others.

We already have our first unreleased series for 2016 coming out, UPN's Legend, which didn't show up on anybody's radar.

Last year, I made twenty guesses for TV releases to come out this year, which I'll post later. I got only 3 right. So that's about a 15 percent accuracy rating.

My predictions for 2016: High Chaparral, Twelve o Clock High, the complete St. Elsewhere, the complete Jimmy Neutron, the U.S. release of Blake's 7, The Banana Splits, The Chattanooga Cats, the Magician, New Adventures of Doctor Doolittle, Around the World in 80 Days, etc.

More obvious guesses from WB Archives and VEI: the New Adventures of Gilligan, Filmation's Tarzan, Colt 45, Bronco, A Man Called Shenandoah, Petrocelli, Special Unit 21, Sisters, Angie,

I know there has been a strong downturn in classic television properties this year, but there is still interest and movie studios still like to make money. So. . . there is hope. And according to an article that just made some circles, other studios are starting to invest in their archival material again.

All my guesses are welcome to be argued with. Love to hear yours. And isn't guessing fun?

James

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I know we believe Constantly Being Stalled has given up on The Beverly Hillbillies, but the FB page for the show is staying active.

I see someone picking up My Three Sons, maybe VEI, maybe Constantly Being Stalled takes another shot at it.

I want Warner to take a shot at Chicago Teddy Bears since it was short lived and would be "one and done." For our Maverick loving friend, maybe we'll get Young Maverick.

Could we finally get The Magician from CBS or VEI? Another Bixby hopeful is Goodnight, Beantown, which I believe is a Warner Property.

She's the Sheriff!!! Lol.....I'd love to see that again.

Speaking of 80's series, I say Universal will give us BJ and the Bear and The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo. One can dream, right?

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Speaking of 80's series, I say Universal will give us BJ and the Bear and The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo. One can dream, right?

would love to see both of these

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ron1973 said:
I know we believe Constantly Being Stalled has given up on The Beverly Hillbillies, but the FB page for the show is staying active.
Neil Brock bumped the Season 1 Remastered thread so that gives me hope.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Wonder Woman on blu. It is the 75th Anniversary of the character, the 40th Anniversary of the series (following the specials), and the movies are coming out. It would be cool in a white box. Maybe Adventures of Superman in a blue box. With the Batman series, it would be red, white, and blue!

Roots on blu. The new series is coming out next year.

upperco

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackson Upperco
I imagine there'll be more rarities popping up in syndication, and this might become a prime source for acquiring and consuming material that won't be released on home video.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
The Defenders: The Complete Series :D

39-disc The Complete Avengers 50th Anniversary Edition DVD in Region 1 :P

...and now coming down from the stratosphere of hope and wishful thinking:

Perry Mason Movie Collection Volume 5

The Alfred Hitchcock Hour: The Complete Series (as per Neil's comments)

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The Complete Series

Amazing Stories: The Complete Second Season or Amazing Stories: The Complete Series

And, of course, all of them on pressed single-sided discs!

Darby

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Ron1973 said:
One can dream, right?
From the "Saturday Morning Department"

Hot Wheels

Skyhawks

Run Joe Run

Westwind

Barrier Reef

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
The Obsolete Man said:
I'm betting this one actually happens, if only because there's a new Amazing Stories series in the works from NBC.

Of course, if the show never happens, the DVDs probably won't either.

Meanwhile, the second season can be purchased from Japan and Europe. Better to get the Japanese sets, since the PAL sets are sped-up.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
JamesSmith said:
Well. . . . I know we have still two months and a week for 2015, so excepting November's releases from the WB Archives. I think we can speculate a bit...

2015. Overall not a great year for classic television releases, but 2014 was such a strong year with the Adam West Batman, Wonder Years, WKRP, and others. Perhaps 2015 was meant for us to catch up on our spending and let our wallets breath a bit. It was a catch up year for a few series to finish up their DVD runs like Bronco, Daktari, Hart to Hart, Quincy and a few others.

We already have our first unreleased series for 2016 coming out, UPN's Legend, which didn't show up on anybody's radar.

Last year, I made twenty guesses for TV releases to come out this year, which I'll post later. I got only 3 right. So that's about a 15 percent accuracy rating.

My predictions for 2016: High Chaparral, Twelve o Clock High, the complete St. Elsewhere, the complete Jimmy Neutron, the U.S. release of Blake's 7, The Banana Splits, The Chattanooga Cats, the Magician, New Adventures of Doctor Doolittle, Around the World in 80 Days, etc.

More obvious guesses from WB Archives and VEI: the New Adventures of Gilligan, Filmation's Tarzan, Colt 45, Bronco, A Man Called Shenandoah, Petrocelli, Special Unit 21, Sisters, Angie,

I know there has been a strong downturn in classic television properties this year, but there is still interest and movie studios still like to make money. So. . . there is hope. And according to an article that just made some circles, other studios are starting to invest in their archival material again.

All my guesses are welcome to be argued with. Love to hear yours. And isn't guessing fun?

James
Once November is over and all is settled for this year, I'll be doing my yearly Warner "Take A Shot" post so I won't touch that one now but as far as the other stuff goes:

VEI - We know they still have Angie, Matt Houston, and Petrocelli definitely coming up and someone has speculated that they may be picking up some of the other later stuff CBS has recently relinquished rights to (Caroline, Early Edition, etc) but as far as vintage stuff, I'm not so certain. As I've said before, they have not been historically interested in pre 70's material so unless they have something worked out with CBS for some of their older stuff like Hilllbillies or My 3 Sons which would go against there pattern, I really don't see them getting into that stuff. More likely they might work out a deal with CBS for some of the more recent stuff like the remainder of Love Boat or Happy Days. That seems more in their wheelhouse.

Shout/Timeless - They too have been leaning toward more recent material although they still have one Bold Ones set to finish next year, which I'm assuming they will complete. I have written to them in the past year on shows like One Day at A Time, Bunker, Fantasy Island, Silver Spoons, Fall Guy as well as lesser known shows of personal interest such as Run For Your Life and THE Cat, and they have said no to all of those so I'm really not sure you will see much pre 80's from them anymore but I'm sure a surprise release or two may come as the year progresses. Maybe through a rejuvenated Timeless. Who knows.

CBS - Are the out of the business for good or are they not, that's the question. Hopefully the current specualtion about resuming Beverly Hillbillies is for real and not just wishful thinking. Who knows where they stand with their 2 westerns or the other vitnage stuff retained (My 3 Sons, Love Boat, Happy Days, Millionaire, Trackdown, Our Miss Brooks). I have no real speculation on where they are heading although indications are not real good at this point after they cancelled all fall releases of old stuff.

Fox - LOL

Sony - lol jr.

And James, as far as your predictions go, I really hope you are right on some of those, but you do realize 12 "O" Clock High is Fox, right? Not happening unfortunately... and Bronco is already finished.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
JamesSmith said:
The Chattanooga Cats,
I hate be the bearer of bad news but the name of the show is the Cattanooga Cats, not the "Chattanooga Cats". :laugh:

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
With a hope and a prayer for 2016 (on tv shows on DVD / Blu-ray):

My two holy grail shows:

1.) "Knots Landing"

2.) "The Drew Carey Show" (which Shout Factory! is seriously looking into doing)

Other shows:

1.) The last season of "Rhoda"

2.) "Phyllis"

3.) The remaining seasons of "Coach"

4.) "One Day At A Time"

5.) "Our Miss Brooks"

6.) "Empty Nest"

7.) More "Carol Burnett Shows" (Star Vista contract with Carol Burnett ends in 2017....so hopefully another small set like the "Carol's Crackups"?)

Current Shows that have gone MIA over the holiday season:

1.) "Hot in Cleveland" Final 6th season

2.) "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" (Season 10)

Studios into play in 2016

1.) CBS/Paramount - nadda....more inventory cleanup with complete box sets of shows they released in the past as season sets and more of their tv properties to another company.....VEI.

2,) VEI - hopefully they will take on more CBS/Paramount tv properties as well as other studio properties. And Hopefully, now that they have their feet wet, be a little more faster in getting these shows out. Looking forward to the "Angie" Series in 2016.

3.) Shout Factory! - Hopefully more series I would like to have. I have been a little underwhelmed by them this Holiday season....miss those complete series sets of Norman Lear shows they were doing so well with.....just waiting for "One Day At A Time" and "Archie Bunkers Place". Last season of "Rhoda" would be nice too. As mentioned before, hope they are serious about "The Drew Carey Show". Shout Factory will also continue with their inventory cleanup with season sets of shows they have released initially as complete box sets in the past (the opposite of what CBS/Paramount is doing, however, imo, Shout Factory's way of doing this is what I like better because they offer the "Complete" series first).

4.) Star Vista - As mentioned before, more Carol Burnett, and possibly another surprise show ("Knots Landing" please!!!)

5.) Mill Creek - More of the cheaper sets from Sony properties but I think they might release them in the Blu-ray format. "That's 70's Show" is scheduled for a complete series release on Blu-ray this holiday season. Rumor has it we may see more sets like these in 2016. Shows that are possible candidates (that I have seen/heard about on another website): "Seinfeld", "Bewitched", "I Dream Of Jeannie", "Hogan's Heroes", "Two and A Half Men" and "Everybody Loves Raymond".

6.) Warner Archives: Don't quite know what's up with Warner lately. Everything seems to get stalled here in the endless music rights licensing. Among the shows: "Falcon Crest", "Alice" and of course "Knots Landing". "The Drew Carey Show" falls here too, but hopefully, if Shout Factory! releases it, they will provide the same quality they did with "WKRP In Cincinnati".

7.) 20th Century Fox: Well...they will definitely continue to release the same movies they have released ten times over with more packaging junk ("Home Alone" .....with a paint can....anyone?). What they won't release for tv....."The Simpsons" (d'oh!!!).....but still releasing "Family Guy" (For this year anyway). No more Blu-ray (just DVD) for your current shows that started on blu-ray for the first couple of seasons ("Modern Family", "It's Always Sunny On A Philadelphia", "Bones"). And maybe not even on DVD anymore ("It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" is no where in sight this holiday season). I will give this studio kudos for releasing "Lost In Space" and the upcoming "X Files" on complete blu-ray sets.......but I don't see anything more coming from this studio in 2016......but maybe another release of a "Die Hard", "Star Wars" or "Alien" movies sets with more junk packaging.

And lastly, with 2016 being an election year, most businesses take a conservative approach to producing product. And with "Streaming/Digital Download" playing competition to physical media, I am going to say that tv on DVD/Blu-ray releases maybe even less than it has been in 2015. I hope I am "very wrong" in this last prediction!! :)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
For about seven years now and counting, still hoping and pleading for the rest of "Burke's Law." Entering 2014, that and "Batman,", "Bob Newhart Show" and "Big Valley" were my "four B" titles that were stalled and getting three of them in one year was incredible that it made me think maybe the last one would come. Alas, Timeless had to be too western-centered.

Realistically, we can expect more of the VEI titles licensed from CBS/Paramount like "Petrocelli" and I hope that maybe in 2016 this will extend to "The Love Boat".

For Warner Archive, the last season of "Dr. Kildare" looks to be a 2016 title. I will predict "The Alaskans" which I would get. I am hoping also for the two 80s sitcoms Warner controls I'd get, "Goodnight Beantown" and "Private Benjamin". For vintage titles, I can't make any predictions at this point. "Eleventh Hour" I would hope for first (if only to get the second half of the story begun on a Kildare episode!). "Thin Man" I'm surprised still hasn't made it.

Maybe Shout or VEI could pick up "McCloud" and give us an R1 release of the original S1 episodes so I can retire an R4 copy.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Frank Soyke said:
And James, as far as your predictions go, I really hope you are right on some of those, but you do realize 12 "O" Clock High is Fox, right? Not happening unfortunately... and Bronco is already finished.

Not even. The home video rights are in question, which is even worse than Fox claiming ownership. They are claiming ignorance of the rights (which is so open to humor that I can't even touch it).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks