What's new

What's happened with my Onkyo HT-S3505 sound? (1 Viewer)

Peco74

Auditioning
Real Name
Ross
Had above system for 3 years, this past week the sound has changed, main problem is talking sounds very flat/hollow and the volume has dropped abit.
When I try a music channel it sounds bit better ie more bass but talking is tinny with no mid range.
I've tried master reset, I've tried different optical and hdmi cables, I've also tried swapping speakers around but no joy.
The sound has changed on all sources sky HD, PS3, Xbox and smart TV so have ruled out sky box being issue.
It's like something is not kicking in to give the depth.
Please can you help or suggest what's gone wrong.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Sounds like you have something going on with the AVR. If I had to guess it's something with the amplifier inside it. If not under warranty then you might be shopping for a new AVR.

The issue that you're going to have is the passive sub that came with that set. A new AVR won't be able to power the current sub as it will only have a sub pre-out vs the powered output that the current unit has. This means that you'll not only have to get a new AVR but a new powered sub as well. The only other options I see are to get another set like the one you have or get a separate amplifer (plate or standalone) for the current sub.

Unfortunately that's one of the drawbacks of the lower end Onkyo prepack sets. The passive sub works OK until there's an issue with the AVR then it's pretty much a door stop.

Peco74

Auditioning
Real Name
Ross
Thanks for the reply. You are the first person that has replied on 6 forums I've signed up too. I know it's lower end system but was hoping for £400 it would lasted longer than 3 years. It's still just about watchable but I know it will annoy me. My misses tried convince me it was my ears lol so even went get them checked at docs but they were fine.
I wish it was something simple like a speaker out but they all work same. It's just missing that oomph and the volume is lower and it sounds like speakers are out phase so even tried switching speaker cables around.
I take it will be too costly to repair?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I'm not sure about the repair costs. If you were here in the states I would recommend just getting a new AVR as you can get a refurb or sale unit for under $200 that would suit your needs just fine. Because you're in the UK I wouldn't know if it's cost effective or not to repair it. It looks like a new AVR will run you about £250 and a powered sub £149.95. So you're back at £400 but you're getting a much better system in the long run. Now you can replace the AVR, sub or speakers independently of one another.

That's the bad part of those Onkyo sets. They have a real AVR and a separate speaker set but the passive sub really makes them more like a HTIB. My only advice is to see if you can find someone that will service your AVR and see what it will cost to repair it. Also keep in mind that my prices are just links from Amazon as I'm not familiar with retailers in the UK.

Peco74

Auditioning
Real Name
Ross
Thanks again. Sorry for 20 questions what part do you think has gone wrong inside?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks