What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Domestic release) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Another John Ford film, this one for Paramount in 1962.

This Blu-ray from Warner Bros. is what Blu-rays should all be about, as like it's UK counterpart, it's perfect in every way.

Rich blacks, gorgeous grain, a fully rendered gray scale, a beautifully resolved image, and rock steady.

I was about to write the words, one of the great westerns, but I'm not.

I consider it one of the great films.  I've loved it since I saw it in its original release.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence is required viewing for anyone who wishes to consider themselves a cinephile.  It's also one of those films which makes me jealous of those seeing it for the first time.

'buff said.

A Great Blu-ray of a Great classic film.

Did I mention James Stewart, John Wayne, Vera Miles, Lee Marvin, Edmund O'Brien and Woody Strode?

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I thought the party line on this transfer as regards the overseas discs was slathered with DNR. I have repeatedly read that on multiple forums. Not true?

macdaddy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
I imported the UK edition several years ago. A wonderful movie. The list of stars is amazing. The release I have looks very good to me. I've watched this movie several times over the last couple of years. I think I'll watch it again tonight!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Richard Gallagher said:
Apparently not. Posters at blu-ray.com raved about the UK release and trashed the German release.
Call me dubious as the German release looks fine to me.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Richard Gallagher said:
Apparently not. Posters at blu-ray.com raved about the UK release and trashed the German release.

All of the European discs are the same disc. The WB disc is also the same disc, perhaps with a WB logo and menu.

I find it particularly disturbing that Paramount has issued several of these overseas BDs via WB in the USA without the DVD extras, as that used to be the pattern for these releases, that the overseas disc would have no extras, and the WB USA disc would port them. Obviously, everyone knows that Paramount issued The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance as part of their Centennial Collection DVD line, and that release contains two commentaries and a fifty-minute documentary, amongst other extras. If I had known that Paramount were going to simply drop the extras on the US BD, I could have imported it in 2012. I believe one of the 10/13/15 titles, Team America: World Police, was originally supposed to retain its special edition moniker and DVD extras, but then the cover art was altered to reflect the barebones disc released overseas in 2013. I'm personally disappointed that the extras and commentary were not ported for Witness, as I deliberately held off on importing that one, assuming the US edition would retain them. As it turns out, I could have had the exact same disc back in early 2014.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
So, then back to my original point - if they are all the same transfer, which I assume they are, why were people saying the German disc was an affront and a DNR mess, when the same people apparently said the UK disc was fine. Doesn't compute.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
So, then back to my original point - if they are all the same transfer, which I assume they are, why were people saying the German disc was an affront and a DNR mess, when the same people apparently said the UK disc was fine. Doesn't compute.
It sounds like business as usual to me as many of these PQ disagreements doesn't make much sense to me.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Robert Crawford said:
It sounds like business as usual to me as many of these PQ disagreements doesn't make much sense to me.

That must be the case. I've never seen the German Blu-ray, so all I know about it is what I've read. One person at blu-ray.com referring to the German BD, wrote "the characters have faces to look like plasticine wax mannequins."

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Here's the thread about the UK release over on that other forum, so you can see the clueless rantings for yourselves. And it's not just restricted to the German release. It's all best ignored.

I have the UK release and have thoroughly enjoyed watching it, good to see the US release now gives you people in the States the same enjoyment.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There may have been a bit of grain reduction performed to the HD master, but nothing that damages the image, which appears more as if it might coming from the OCN, through a fine grain to a printing dupe...

Making the grain more velvety via the extremely fine grain duping stock.

Especially via 4k uprez, the image is fine.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
haineshisway said:
Hyperbole I'd say. The German disc still doesn't look quite right to me - textures and grain seem to be muted or maybe in the case of the grain fake and edges exaggerated. That is a look that doesn't compute with me but then I sit rather close to a projected image so others with longer viewing distances will not be affected as much in any case regardless of their preferences. No idea if this was tweaked a bit for the US release or not but it wouldn't have taken much for me to be much more happy with the German Blu-ray.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the "few words". This will indeed be my first viewing......however...... my August pre-order is still stuck in Amazon's out of stock warehouse.

Anyone heard anything about the status of this title?

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
McCrutchy said:
All of the European discs are the same disc. The WB disc is also the same disc, perhaps with a WB logo and menu.

I find it particularly disturbing that Paramount has issued several of these overseas BDs via WB in the USA without the DVD extras, as that used to be the pattern for these releases, that the overseas disc would have no extras, and the WB USA disc would port them. Obviously, everyone knows that Paramount issued The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance as part of their Centennial Collection DVD line, and that release contains two commentaries and a fifty-minute documentary, amongst other extras. If I had known that Paramount were going to simply drop the extras on the US BD, I could have imported it in 2012. I believe one of the 10/13/15 titles, Team America: World Police, was originally supposed to retain its special edition moniker and DVD extras, but then the cover art was altered to reflect the barebones disc released overseas in 2013. I'm personally disappointed that the extras and commentary were not ported for Witness, as I deliberately held off on importing that one, assuming the US edition would retain them. As it turns out, I could have had the exact same disc back in early 2014.
I agree so much -- these commentaries are the most important thing to me, after the transfer quality. And they're not even doing the bare minimum to make them available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks